WD Music... Sigh

Jayleb

Reaction score
Anyone else had that feeling? Just bought all new creme hardware from them and none of it fits how I like it! (I don't consider myself a perfectionist neither) and the two pup rings are different shades... So I've requested a refund and am looking round. Can anyone suggest the best place for Gibson parts without the price tag many thanks

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
From my experience, Sweetwater and Darren Riley have the best online prices for original Gibson parts. Otherwise, try Philadelphia Luthier for aftermarket parts.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, try Philadelphia Luthier for aftermarket parts.
+1:thumb:

I just got these plastics from them a couple weeks ago. Changed out the black to cream.. You can see for yourself.

The pick guard is from Allparts and made in Japan... didn't expect that! I forgot to order that from Philly Luther at the time.

CreamTone

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Give us a shot!

Cheers!

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Philly Luthier is very good. CreamTone is good but I ordered two sets of aged gold top hats and received one set over three months ago and several promises of “we’ll send those right out”..... I finally gave up. $39 a set ain’t cheap and paying $78 for one set is worse. Sorry Lonnie. Other than that personal experience.... they’re top notch stuff.

Philly has been reliable and no nonsense.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, I just bought a long vibrola from WD. Wow, the included screws didn't even fit the holes on the frame to attach it to the guitar body. And since I didn't notice that at first I had drilled the holes for the right diameter to go with the screws so I couldn't use a thinner diameter screw that would actually fit the vibrola. So then I had to drill out all the holes in the vibrola frame to use their screws. I mean WTH? They can't even include the right size screws for their own part?

I also had to put it in a vise and heat and bend it so the comb didn't put my string height sky high and would allow me to bring the arm back so the guitar could fit in a case.

I sent them an email about all this and they did not respond.

I buy a ton of parts from PTL and am always happy with what I get.

And I bought tall rings and the nice, wide beveled 5 ply black pickguard just recently from Creamtone for my Tokai husk and Lonnie sent them quickly, answered all my questions and they look fantastic. Glad I decided to splurge on those.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never had an issue with WD but I've never bought plastics from them. They're great for tuners and other hardware, quick shipping, I know that.

ARandall

Reaction score
Perhaps one of the least understood things in guitars is plastic. Specifically the fact that sheet plastic uses an entirely different material, construction and colouring method to injection plastic. The latter is used for bobbins, p90 covers and pickup rings.
As such, unless one company that does the manufacturing is deliberately trying to match all of the items......and more importantly is willing to spend a lot of money on the trial and error to make naturally dissimilar items the same......you will get differences.

All you have to do is look at bursts. There is significant colour change between pickup rings colour and pickguard.
Similarly there is a gap all around the neck pickup ring.

So given the vintage obsessed nature of the beast that is both Gibson and the Les Paul, it is no wonder there is little to no effort made to match colours either OEM or aftermarket

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
For pickup rings check out DiMarzio.
In my opinion, Philly actually has the best “historic” tall rings if you’re on a budget. Proper height and bone color. Light years better than the over-the-counter Gibson parts, and damn near close to rings that people spend $100+ on.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ although that might be just the issue (the colour difference to the guard) that the OP is trying to avoid.
It's a minefield out there if you're trying to do the matching bit, that's for sure. Especially when you get bindings (yet another type of plastic again) in there as a possible matching aspect.

Jayleb

Reaction score
Very true come to think of it. My R9 from 96 certainly doesn't have a tight fit pickguard which is all original...
Just that my 2016 studio is as tight a fit as they come! This is the one I'm modding up can't wait to try those Lindy fralins in there!

CreamTone

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Philly Luthier is very good. CreamTone is good but I ordered two sets of aged gold top hats and received one set over three months ago and several promises of “we’ll send those right out”..... I finally gave up. $39 a set ain’t cheap and paying $78 for one set is worse. Sorry Lonnie. Other than that personal experience.... they’re top notch stuff.

Philly has been reliable and no nonsense.
That sucks! Very sorry that got by me. Please send me the email address you used for the order to lonnie@creamtone.com. I'll send the knobs and a $50 gift card for the hassle.

Cheers!
Lonnie

moreles

Reaction score
To add insult to injury, the Gibson "creme" plastic, in all its variations, is hardly the most attractive of the many possible versions of that color. So we're stuck trying to match up to a color that really isn't that great to begin with!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
To add insult to injury, the Gibson "creme" plastic, in all its variations, is hardly the most attractive of the many possible versions of that color. So we're stuck trying to match up to a color that really isn't that great to begin with!
What, you don't like pink? :laugh2:

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I don't ever buy direct from WD or Allparts, they are distributors and charge list price on their site. I find the items I want, note the description/item numbers, and find them at dealers that carry WD or Allparts products. For example, I like Allparts' Old Style Tunematic bridge for guitars with Nashville posts, it's a quality MIJ bridge that fits on the posts, but by buying it from an Allparts dealer I got it for much less (like $5-6 less). If you can't find the part, just contact a dealer that carries the Allparts or WD stuff, and have them order it. You can save 20-25% usually by doing that.
Al

Latest Threads