WB or WCRs?

greenalbatross

Reaction score
Not enough people have tested both in the same guitar. It's a crapshot.

My experience so far is a nod towards WCR. I like the Crossroads better than the PG 6707 set. The crossroads has some sparkle in there that most other pickups are missing. It might be just a difference in potting, if the WCR is potted at all, but that's what I hear.

I have a set of WCR Green/Moore and 2 sets of the WB6707 PG Set. I've tried both sets in my Tokai and the WBs sound far more balanced in that guitar. The WCRs were too hot and too low end heavy. In my Burny SG, the WCRs sound magical, whereas the WBs are heaven in my Tokai Love Rock. I wouldn't swap out either set in either guitar.

5F6-A

Reaction score
I have a set of WCR Green/Moore and 2 sets of the WB6707 PG Set. I've tried both sets in my Tokai and the WBs sound far more balanced in that guitar. The WCRs were too hot and too low end heavy. In my Burny SG, the WCRs sound magical, whereas the WBs are heaven in my Tokai Love Rock. I wouldn't swap out either set in either guitar.

I think you are right... I always found Wagner's Greenie specs a tad too hot. But the SG obviously enjoyed the extra meat... :laugh2:

GYang

Reaction score
In general WCR pickups of similar type sounds a bit more pleasant and wider to my ears. We talk nuances what might be matter of taste, but somehow WCR offer classier sounds in several of my LPs and I definitelly opt for it.
Only pickup manufacturer that might compare 100% favorably to WCR is Bare Knuckle (Mule and Darkburst are simply pure magic from bith campus).
IMFHO Wagner's price is grounded by fact that guy makes best among the best pickups.

Goldtop75

Reaction score
In general WCR pickups of similar type sounds a bit more pleasant and wider to my ears. We talk nuances what might be matter of taste, but somehow WCR offer classier sounds in several of my LPs and I definitelly opt for it.

Yes, based on sound clips, I'd prefer the WCR Crossroads to the WB Firewater neck pup. The WCR seems to be a tad sweeter, while the WB seems to be a little more in your face. Were I strictly going for a pure vintage tone, I'd go for WCRs, but the WB H&H set seems to be the one I'm looking for. I'm thinking rolling down on the volume knob on my :slash: would do the trick for more vintage like stuff. heh.

Latest Threads