water heater advice please

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tip # 3; that yellow pipe compound works great on water pipe as well.

In fact, the guy who invented pipe joint compound should be able to put the guy who invented teflon tape in a windowless room, tied to a chair, and allowed to hit him in the kneecap with a hammer.

danohat

Reaction score
Tip # 3; that yellow pipe compound works great on water pipe as well.

In fact, the guy who invented pipe joint compound should be able to put the guy who invented teflon tape in a windowless room, tied to a chair, and allowed to hit him in the kneecap with a hammer.

I go through at least 20 rolls of white teflon per year.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I have two water heaters for my home and I saw no benefit of going tankless, the added cost vs the cost of replacing takes 10-12 years. We can have all 4 showers in use, dishwater on and washing machine on and not run out of hot water.

Matt_21

Reaction score
Rent it.
They install, they fix any problames you might have.
And it's not all that expensive/

GitFiddle

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace on your own?

When my original 40-50 gal electric heater, that came with the house, started acting up, I was able to determine that one of the heating elements was not working.

Usually there are two heating elements. One near the top and one near the bottom. I drained the tank and replaced the bad element. It worked fine for another couple years.

When it began acting up again, I just decided to replace the entire thing. Never done it before, but I bought and installed a brand new 50 gallon heater with very little time and effort.

By the last pipe, I was soldering copper tubes like a pro. It looked so awesome, I got in there with some fine wet/dry and steel wool and polished all the copper pipes up to a shiny sheen. It looks maaaaa-valous. :laugh2:

The best way to keep a tank heater in good shape, once every year or two, connect a hose up to the drain valve and run it out to the yard. Put a bucket near the end of the hose and use it to measure off two or three gallons of drain off.

This lets all the accumulated sediment run out of the bottom of the tank. The new tank is still running like a champ after well over ten years. We have well water with lots of iron. That's taken care of with a filter and water softener.

Good luck on your solution. :thumb:

twst1up

Reaction score
i bought a "Titan" electric tankless on ebay about 6 years ago after our old tank model started leaking...

$200...thing works like a phucking champ. In winter it may take an extra 5 minutes to fill the tub.

My only disclaimer is that we have 2 water heaters, 2 furnaces. The tankless is upstairs and only services a full bath.

But as soon as the tank in the basement goes I'm gonna get the same thing. If you can sweat pipe you can install it yo damnself.

Oh, it's electric not gas

Extra bonus: i can use the tankless to make beer :naughty:

76 ibanez 2619

Reaction score
depending on your usage and how your water is treated a tank less one is going to give you cleaner hot water.
This from a person that works for a water system of about 500 thousand.
Trade offs are first investment and then savings of not having to keep a bunch of water hot all the time.
Fresh hot water with nothing growing in the tank.
If the provider is only treating with chlorine and the turnover in the tank is low this could be a problem, chloramines are bit different as they last longer.
Well water is a whole different animal as it is not usually disinfected.
OH! and Merry Christmas to all of you.

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I go through at least 20 rolls of white teflon per year.

Come over to the light. Leave the evil darkness of teflon tape behind. We pipe-dope believers welcome you.

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
CJ buddy.. How many people in your family?

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
depending on your usage and how your water is treated a tank less one is going to give you cleaner hot water.
This from a person that works for a water system of about 500 thousand.
Trade offs are first investment and then savings of not having to keep a bunch of water hot all the time.
Fresh hot water with nothing growing in the tank.
If the provider is only treating with chlorine and the turnover in the tank is low this could be a problem, chloramines are bit different as they last longer.
Well water is a whole different animal as it is not usually disinfected.
OH! and Merry Christmas to all of you.

Good lord, you work for a water system?

I'm the lone water operator for a small town.

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2 people, Dave.

You don't even need a 50 gl. 40 will be fine. However, if you spot a 50 on sale, it's not that much a jump from a 40 gl.

They're right, in saying you'll enjoy some benefits with a new water heater. These things are prone to give out in 10-15 years, sometimes depending on the condition of your water. They seem to improve every decade or so. Electronic piloting, better insulation materials, etc.

76 ibanez 2619

Reaction score
Good lord, you work for a water system?

I'm the lone water operator for a small town.
Yes, City of Virginia Beach.
Man, a lone operator?

I've seen small well based systems, not a lot of customers.
They did have good water, Va. is kinda tight about testing quality.
Do you also treat the water?
I do SCADA work and that also involves testing the water but our lab has the final say. We have well over 100 remote sites that also get tested on a weekly basis.
Stay from Hack Cl2 analysers as well as Kuntze (worst I've tested so far)
We are using CLX now, made by HF Scientific.
Amperometric analyzers will give a continuous reading but I've yet to find one that is dependable.
The CLX and the Hachs use reagents and only take a reading every 2.5 minutes which makes dosing if you are treating adjustments slow. Not a bad thing BTW.
The Hachs are a pain in the butt if you are testing for total Cl2, they need to be cleaned and have the tubes replaced every couple weeks if you want a proper reading. After a few years of use I'm sold on the CLXs.
Hope this helps.

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, City of Virginia Beach.
Man, a lone operator?

I've seen small well based systems, not a lot of customers.
They did have good water, Va. is kinda tight about testing quality.
Do you also treat the water?
I do SCADA work and that also involves testing the water but our lab has the final say. We have well over 100 sites that also get tested on a weekly basis.

Really, really small town. I have 197 connections. 2 wells, 2 tanks with a 350K total capacity. I test, as well as our contracted lab. We're considering a small chlorination system.

76 ibanez 2619

Reaction score
Stay away from Cl2 gas tanks and consider sodium hypochlorite.
Do you have a PID controller?
If not I have written a very simple one in structured text that is very easy to adjust and I can explain to you how when you go this route.
I can also recommend some dependable pumps.
You'll need a controller with a 4-20 ma input and output.
cheap these days.

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Cl2 gas tanks and consider sodium hypochlorite.
Do you have a PID controller?
If not I have written a very simple one in structured text that is very easy to adjust and I can explain to you how when you go this route.
I can also recommend some dependable pumps.
You'll need a controller with a 4-20 ma input and output.
cheap these days.

I'm well-versed in chlorinating techniques. Sodium Hyp @ 10% is what I've been chlorinating with when needed.

But I'd like to invite this conversation to PM. I don't want to take over Chicago John's thread with water talk..

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
There are goods and bads.. Oddly if you look at the operating costs analysis of a gas water tank compared to the approx tankless gas one, they are pretty close in annual costs. The tankless is more upfront cost for the install and the vent system. Electric are not too terrible but the tankless is more expensive to start with.

Benefits of tankless are an endless supply of hot water. Great for larger families with girls! Space in storage rooms is also a big +.

Benefits of tanked. Install and up front costs are minimal. Most know how to work on them.

There is nothing wrong with either but not really sure you will ever recupe the cost difference on the money spent on tankless systems.

Chicago John

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to get a bidet some day. I'll while away the day, sitting on my bidet...

BobbyJ

Reaction score
My water heater seems to be on its last legs and I was thinking about going tankless. Has anyone gone this route, or any plumbers with expert opinions about advice on costs or pitfalls, I'd appreciate it.

I have been selling, installing and repairing tankless for about twenty years. been a plumber for 30. I work for Low energy systems in Denver. give me a call I can go over everything with you. Bob

Latest Threads