Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

fretboarder

Reaction score
anyone would think this video is hurting someone's "job" the way its getting so much flack he he he

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
There are MANY knowledgeable people on this board....dozens...I'm just one of the few that will confront the people who "pretend" they are.

One thing I've learned at 50+ yrs old, with yrs of firing and hiring people is that the self proclaimed know-it-alls seldom do and in a crunch time emergency are completely useless people you can rely on the least.

Guess where you fit in that?

A0D5DC43-0706-46A2-9B82-231D5FF0B59C.jpeg

Last edited:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One thing I've learned at 50+ yrs old, with yrs of firing and hiring people is that the self proclaimed know-it-alls seldom do and in a crunch time emergency are completely useless people you can rely on the least.

Been doing vintage guitars as my vocation for 30 years. :cheers:

www.abalonevintage.com

If the 3,000+ photos don’t spell it out for you, then also check out our one-of-a-kind content on:

Facebook
Instagram
Reverb
Flickr
Pinterest

Or, my two page spread in the April issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Or, this interesting MLPF thread that has around 150,000 views.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-guitar-9-0821-detailed-photos.55674/

I’ve been a unique contributing member of this forum for 12 years...you have been here a few months.

Last edited:

thxphotog

Reaction score
Been doing vintage guitars as my vocation for 30 years. :cheers:

www.abalonevintage.com

If the 3,000+ photos don’t spell it out for you, then also check out our one-of-a-kind content on:

Facebook
Instagram
Reverb
Flickr
Pinterest

Or, my two page spread in the April issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Or, this interesting MLPF thread that has around 150,000 views.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-guitar-9-0821-detailed-photos.55674/

I’ve been a unique contributing member of this forum for 12 years...you have been here a few months.

Mic drop......

Naquat

Reaction score
If one is going to spend a ton of cash on any vintage instrument wouldn't you want an appraisal from at least one expert, say G. Gruhn? Yes, I know the experts can be fooled as well but more like less a chance than the average guitarist.

Second, I wasn't a huge fan of Ed Roman but he did make one point that holds some water when it comes to vintage guitars. One of the best ways to buy a vintage guitar is from someone who doesn't know what it is. Like a garage sale, barn sale etc.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
If one is going to spend a ton of cash on any vintage instrument wouldn't you want an appraisal from at least one expert, say G. Gruhn? Yes, I know the experts can be fooled as well but more like less a chance than the average guitarist.

Second, I wasn't a huge fan of Ed Roman but he did make one point that holds some water when it comes to vintage guitars. One of the best ways to buy a vintage guitar is from someone who doesn't know what it is. Like a garage sale, barn sale etc.
The only way your second point holds water is if YOU know what you are buying at said garage sale.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

Wasn't Gruhn caught in some "unclear" situation regarding a Burst that turned out not to be a Burst?
:hmm:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The only way your second point holds water is if YOU know what you are buying at said garage sale.
I like my '59 garage sale Burst to have a non-existant case, a three piece top and a Gotdtop finish.
:laugh2:

And don't forget the Mansfield headstock!
:thumb:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Eric Ernest for MLP MVP!

I've done more than a few authentications myself, and am still amazed at how many people have enough money to drop on a 'burst, but have absolutely no clue about what they're looking at.

Btw, musicians don't buy 'bursts (aside from a few, choice people). Rich people do. And, more often, than not, they have more money than brains. Just another page in their financial portfolio.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Gruhn caught in some "unclear" situation regarding a Burst that turned out not to be a Burst?
:hmm:
Don't know about that...but Gruhn's did have an Explorer for sale a few years ago until I hipped them to the fact that it was a "well known" fake. They immediately gave it back to the consignor.

Last edited:

rykus

Reaction score
I would want the person inspecting the burst I bought to have as much time inside a burst as it took me to save the $$$,lol..

If I won the lottery I would just fly around and buy the best playing one.. no authentication needed,lol

If I had to work my ass off and sell other assets, I would be hiring an expert and getting professional help!

Would be nice to not have to care though... sad as it is 250k isn’t a lot to quite a few people now days...

Bought some fake stuff... none of it was good for anything but my over confidence,lol... can’t say I would have been disappointed if it was amazing though as I wanted something amazing!

Latest Threads