Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I watched it one time through and took notes.

This is NOT a "1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst authentication" video.

There was only one detail that was specifically germane to 50's "Bursts"...the 1959 serial number range.

The rest of the information in this video could be applicable to many other models.

This video omits all of the most truly important details of a Burst authentication. Dozens. This is more accurately a 50's vintage Gibson guitar authentication video.

Wrong details?

Fake stoptails are usually gold late 60's TP's with the gold buffed off. The have a slightly different mold. That should have been pointed out.

Vintage ABR-1's have mold that is different than the reproductions. No caliper needed.

Original switch tips have a very thin wall....most reproductions are thicker. Flatter switch "tips" are most likely earlier 50's.

Striation lines on the pickguard usually run parallel to the strings....not at a 90 degree angle.

"The binding on these Les Pauls were scrapped very well." "Rarely see errors around the binding area."

Oh really!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Think again.

View attachment 354016

"Rarely see correctly routed control cavities on fakes." (He needs to get out more....)

He says the newer fakes are so good, yet name checks long gone Chris Derrig as one of the most famous "counterfeiters." Kinda misleading, his guitars were notoriously inaccurate.

Modern wire always has 3 braids? I have some with 2 pair.

To sum up....No real "Burst" details in this video.

Therefore, I am lowering my assessment to a "D." The fantastic production and competency of the narrator being the redeeming points.

They just need to change the name of the video to accurately reflect its true content and then it will get a solid "B."

Pretty easy stuff to fix.

@eric ernest ....crazy question I know, but do you happen to have any pictures of the wall of the switch tip on off of a real burst? And to your knowledge, does anyone do an accurate repro? I have a buddy that is trying to do up a reissue. Thanks man! Hope you are well!!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
@Adinol

honestly, I think your early post, over here, was really a very interesting point of view, and also totally In Topic with the subject of the video.

I'm happy to be a contrarian, if this means not acting like a smartass, like the majority in this thread. I mean, are you guys the fricking guardians of what people can say and what not? Please, LOL!

I can't f....ng believe moderators are not preventing these people here insulting and attacking everyone, without any real reason.

Jeeeez....
@PierM , the video was demonstrating ways to possibly identify a real burst vs. a knock off. It had nothing to do with if a burst is overpriced, why people buy them, or whether or not they would care if they had been duped into buying a fake. Can't see how that relates in any way to the topic of the video. Again, I was just as guilty of derailing the thread as anyone, but his posts were far from on topic. I don't think anyone is trying to tell him what he can/cannot say, it's just where he's saying it. IMO, his POV would be better suited in his own thread in the backstage section. YMMV

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, but too much aggressive approach imho. Really to much.

And more important, I don't understand why trying to act as a moderator, when we are not moderators.

Saying other people what they can say, what they shouldn't say, what they can write here or not, should not be our contribution...again, imho (unless totally illegal crap). :)

Funny thing is, this was just a easy peasy post about a nice video...ended in a fight. That's plain dumb.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
, the video was demonstrating ways to possibly identify a real burst vs. a knock off.
Again....what part of this video is germane to "Bursts?"

@eric ernest ....crazy question I know, but do you happen to have any pictures of the wall of the switch tip on off of a real burst?
I don't know who did this....but it's one of the few photos out there. I'll look for a photo of the "hole" side.

Attachments

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Remove "smart" and you're spot on.

Again....what part of this video is germane to "Bursts?"

I don't know who did this....but it's one of the few photos out there. I'll look for a photo of the "hole" side.
Thank you for the picture...very cool!

As for the video, I watched as somewhat of a general guide on real vs what you could potentially see in a knockoff. I know you know your stuff @eric ernest , and you pointed out many inaccuracies. I wouldn’t have known as I’m far from a burst aficionado, I just love them!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture...very cool!

As for the video, I watched as somewhat of a general guide on real vs what you could potentially see in a knockoff. I know you know your stuff @eric ernest , and you pointed out many inaccuracies. I wouldn’t have known as I’m far from a burst aficionado, I just love them!
Specifically, what did the video detail that would differentiate a fake "Burst" from a real "Burst?"

I truly believe the only way one can see real Burst content in this video is if they don't know what constitutes Burst "content."

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Specifically, what did the video detail that would differentiate a fake "Burst" from a real "Burst?"

I truly believe the only way one can see real Burst content in this video is if they don't know what constitutes Burst "content."
In the beginning he goes over the headstock, and how a fake might not have the right “cut” (see pic from video). It went on from there.

I watched this, as a lot of people probably do, from a relatively uneducated standpoint vs someone who knows bursts. I watched it and interpreted it as a “I’m going to show you this real burst, and discrepancy’s that could occur on a knock off.” Although it has inaccuracies, I wouldn’t have known until, as you said, someone who really knows burst content, pointed it out. Sort of saying I was watching it from a students perspective, not a teachers.

yeti

Reaction score
@Adinol

honestly, I think your early post, over here, was really a very interesting point of view, and also totally In Topic with the subject of the video.

I'm happy to be a contrarian, if this means not acting like a smartass, like the majority in this thread. I mean, are you guys the fricking guardians of what people can say and what not? Please, LOL!

I can't f....ng believe moderators are not preventing these people here insulting and attacking everyone, without any real reason.

Jeeeez....
While I can sympathize with the underlined passages I have to disagree with your last statement. Yes, some forum members tend to sometimes go overboard, trying to censor other members and attack them personally, playing mods, etc. but IMHO the actual mods here do a very good job walking that fine line between over-moderating/ stifling discussion and ignoring rule violations.
That is something I don't take for granted because I've frequented forums in the past where the same could not be said.

GearHo

Reaction score
Now stop, all of you.

I can clear this up.

If you don't have the money for a real burst, then why do you care if you can spot a fake?

Your not going to be able to buy it if it is real.

With the exception of a few, most of us could never come up with six figures plus to buy an original.

It's not about tone, or feel, or hyde glue, it's about benjamins, and if you don't have the scratch, you don't get the itch.

I just read 11 pages of makeover improvements in another thread, that apparently increase tonal pleasure, and remedy all the construction flaws that Gibson is guilty of. Then the op plugs into a blues deville, after unearthing these hidden tonal improvements.

It's like wearing a 5000 dollar suit with flip flops.

We are all crazy, all of us.

kmasters68

Reaction score
OMG you guys! you wear me out! This is the second time in as many weeks where I was on the side of the guy who got ganged up on. You guys gaslight someone's post, then antagonize them until they get mad. I'm over it.

drmmrr55

Reaction score
A lot of different opinions on the accuracy, and knowledge of the person in the video. To me, almost everything I read, see, or hear on the forums should be taken with a grain of salt. There are experts, real, and self proclaimed, opinions, and rushes to judgement on who is right. Myself, I'm not an expert at all on vintage Les Paul's, I only know what I read on the forums, and in articles, so it's all at least second hand knowledge from people I don't even know, so accuracy is definitely an issue.
However, I found the video interesting, and entertaining, and educational. It may, or may not be 100% accurate, and I don't really care. The guy did say you have to have a lot of "hands on" experience, and he does work on a lot of vintage Paul's, so I do believe he has some degree of expertise on the subject, but it has led to a lot of different points of view.
There's nothing wrong with critiquing the vid's accuracy, but the disagreements should not be taken personally. On a different subject, I happen to like Emerald city guitars, seeing that Seattle is only a 20 minute drive from where I live, they have a lot of cool gear that I could never afford to buy, but a great place to visit!
Anyway, who doesn't love a lively discussion on a subject we all love. :)

Last edited:

SpeedKnob

Reaction score
I just checked my 2014 Traditional and the braided wire has two strands. Gibson must have found some spools of old braided wire from the 1950s, which is nice.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just checked my 2014 Traditional and the braided wire has two strands. Gibson must have found some spools of old braided wire from the 1950s, which is nice.
Having a two strands braided wire doesn't mean it's vintage, at all. It's just one of the multiple cues you can use to ID a pickup, but if you take those alone, they means nothing.

Your guitar has 59 Reissue humbuckers, that like 57 classics, they use a two strands braided cable, just to mimic originals. Isn't really a spool of wire from 1950, it's just a reissue. :)