Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would share more, but I know someone's gonna be up my ass. It's not so much posting the content as it is dealing with the fallout from people not paying attention, not properly reading posts, and just general uninformed mayhem.

That is a time sucker...

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . . Yet time and time again people who spend most of their time in the other sub-forums occasionally drop by....like a drive by.......spew a bunch of uninformed nonsense and leave. . . .
Well, I usually spend most of my time in other sub-forums. But I occasionally drop by . . . learn something about vintage Gibsons . . . get entertained by the drama and leave.

Just sayin'.

Peace

Rex

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I was watching the video (and ensuing debate) out of interest. I'll never have that coin to drop on a guitar. I'm truly amazed that people do, and I wonder how much more mojo you get for your dollar. At the end of the day (I don't mean to be rude in this forum) that is the extra you're paying for -isn't it? I can't imagine that they sound or play better than a new top-of-the-line/custom shop/boutique?? I must be wrong, I just can't see how.

treatb

Reaction score
wildwood is selling a 59 fretless wonder, 3 pickup with bigsby. my dream guitar... but they advertise it as all original. but you can see that every solder joint has been reworked...don't trust marketing talk, they will use all sorts of twisted phrases to get their money.

randrewrussell

Reaction score
I thought this video was excellent as a way to get a general overview of the authentication of
a Gibson 50's era, or Gibson "Burst" guitar. Obviously, there is more to the process then just
this quick review but it was an interesting video.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
If I've ever got a quarter mill. to spend on a 'burst, I DEFINITELY WON'T BE CONSULTING FUCKING YOUTUBE for advice.. how stupid do you need to be???
In the event, I WILL be budgeting in a few grand for the expert consultation of somebody like Phil Harris to inspect the instrument on my behalf.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Awesome production and informative video!

Today I've learned hide glue on tops it's just another marketing BS. :applause::applause:
I just bought a 2018 R0, I was happy to see it has hide glue. I still am happy because even if it isn't the original formaldehyde stuff, it isn't Titebond.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2018 R0, I was happy to see it has hide glue. I still am happy because even if it isn't the original formaldehyde stuff, it isn't Titebond.
Oh yeah, I also love all my "all hide glue" Gibson, but not because of hide glue, but because they are great guitars. I couldn't tell the difference between titebond and hide glue, so I don't care. :)

Was just pointing another marketing tag, used by the Custom Shop, that doesn't match real vintage specs. But yeah, I don't really care.

John Farr

Reaction score
I get the impression that the guy is trying to let us know that He has the knowledge to authenticate Vintage Les Pauls and that He's touting for custom in this line of work without giving it "ALL"away. Whether or not He actually has the experience and ability to evaluate and authenticate is another question.

Last edited:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I've ever got a quarter mill. to spend on a 'burst, I DEFINITELY WON'T BE CONSULTING FUCKING YOUTUBE for advice.. how stupid do you need to be???
In the event, I WILL be budgeting in a few grand for the expert consultation of somebody like Phil Harris to inspect the instrument on my behalf.
Now that's funny.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they sound or play better than a new top-of-the-line/custom shop/boutique?? I must be wrong, I just can't see how.
I wish they didn't, but they do. Not each and every one, but in general, there's no comparison. Doug and Pat videos don't do it justice. As long as I have a vintage pickup, I've been able to match tones on '50s Teles with new builds. Haven't matched yet on Strats, but maybe with a vintage harness, I could. Dunno. But with Les Pauls, I've done the Custom Shop with real PAFs, I've done historic makeover with real PAFs, I've done the custom old wood, correct build with all '59 parts and vintage fretboard, and while they are all really good guitars, none of them do that thing my Burst does.

It's very inconvenient, but it's a fact. That thing comes alive in a way nothing else does.

swankmotee

Reaction score
Sorry but way too much camera time spent on watching pretty boy in apron flail his arms around!‍♂ Would’ve been a lot more educational if they spent more time viewing the guitar when he was pointing out things. The guitar should be the star not the narrator IMHO.

Tinpan

Reaction score
A ton of great information.....not that I will ever have $250K + to spend on a Les Paul!

yeti

Reaction score
Doug and Pat videos don't do it justice.
I agree, D&P videos tend to do justice only to that AC 10, great for the lesser guitars, not so good for the finer details.
Which begs the question: Which ones do?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I wish they didn't, but they do. Not each and every one, but in general, there's no comparison. Doug and Pat videos don't do it justice. As long as I have a vintage pickup, I've been able to match tones on '50s Teles with new builds. Haven't matched yet on Strats, but maybe with a vintage harness, I could. Dunno. But with Les Pauls, I've done the Custom Shop with real PAFs, I've done historic makeover with real PAFs, I've done the custom old wood, correct build with all '59 parts and vintage fretboard, and while they are all really good guitars, none of them do that thing my Burst does.

It's very inconvenient, but it's a fact. That thing comes alive in a way nothing else does.
I'm definitely glad it does then. You'd be dissapointed otherwise I guess.