Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I see nowhere in the video, stating it was a specific 59 ID process. To me looks obvious he's talking very general, just using a 59 he had at the shop.

He also said in the video, at the very start, that is just a quick overview of their validation process.

This is the title of the video.

Vintage Guitar Authentication - 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst"

It contains the words.....1959......Les Paul Standard.....and Burst.

The video's closing line:

"In conclusion, If you are in the market for a BURST, I strongly, strongly, strongly, urge you..."

Anyone ever wonder why this forum is not taken more serious in vintage circles?

It's people like you being a contrarian.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
I agree with Eric. Some statements should NOT be taken as the "gospel" truth. One thing about 59 bursts that Tyler stated was about the serial number range of 59 bursts. I think I heard him say that "the serial number range of 59 bursts are from 9 03XX - 9 32XX". That is incorrect info. I know of some in the 9 01XX and 9 02XX range. Maybe I heard something he did not say? I could be wrong.

That said, I did learn some good info from Tyler and this video! And Emerald City is a great store with great employees. My 59 pickguard does have lines on the back going parallel to the strings and not perpendicular. Checked that out yesterday. Thanks for clearing that up Eric E! :cheers: Do some have lines perpendicular? I cant say. Maybe Eric can say if he has seen ever seen perpendicular on a burst pickguard he has inspected in hand. And Eric has checked out many 59 bursts!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think I heard him say that "the serial number range of 59 bursts are from 9 03XX - 9 32XX". That is incorrect info. I know of some in the 9 01XX and 9 02XX range. Maybe I heard something he did not say? I could be wrong.
I didn't notice if he said "roughly" or not....but I get your point.

1 easy thing I noticed is where he said all Bursts have perfect center-seamed tops - not they don't! Many Bursts have the seam drifting towards the D string or the G string instead of perfectly centered between them.
You guys made excellent points. It illustrates that the more closely you scrutinize the video the more incorrect things you notice.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
1 easy thing I noticed is where he said all Bursts have perfect center-seamed tops - not they don't! Many Bursts have the seam drifting towards the D string or the G string instead of perfectly centered between them.
I think he shouldn't have used the word "perfect", I do think he was just referring to them always being a center seam and that any with a grossly off center seam is a converted gold top. I'm no expert, hell I'm barely a novice at vintage knowledge but it does fascinate me to learn the nuances of these instruments. But that's where I agree with @eric ernest that this is a decent way to know if a guitar is vintage but just enough info to get me in trouble if I tried. I'll never afford one so I'm in no danger :D. To me he didnt cover some of the more important details about the body well like the routes for the electronics.

RevWillie

Reaction score
Hey - it was basically an ad for their services, a chance to show off a little, and give a PSA for vintage buyers to be proactive in seeking expert advice. Buyer beware.

I don't think it was meant to be an exhaustive explanation of every nuance and variation.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even more, they are trying to sell that exact guitar. And this helped get it out there.
They have other “Burst” videos that are infinitely better than this one! Seriously we’ll produced.

Last edited:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey - it was basically an ad for their services, a chance to show off a little, and give a PSA for vintage buyers to be proactive in seeking expert advice. Buyer beware.

I don't think it was meant to be an exhaustive explanation of every nuance and variation.
I watched the video....they said it was not going to cover all of the fine points, but It is 20+ minutes long....kinda long for an “ad.”

If they wanted to do a Burst PSA it should have contained some “common” and “pertinent” fake Burst issues.....which there are many.

If this is an ad for their Burst “authentication services” they missed the mark.

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Reaction score
Great video ... I learned a lot. It's also nice to see how happy I can be with my Historics as guitars go in general. I spent the evening playing my 58 Custom Shop and it's my #1 guitar that I have ever owned. I've had it for 2 years now and look forward to the rest of my life with it.

Side note:

There's too much nit picky bitching in this thread. If you're in a marriage someone isn't happy. ....Guaranteed.

Les Paul John

Reaction score
People tend to be picky on $250,000+ guitars...
Are you buying it? Looks like a nice guitar ...

To me the video seemed like a basic guideline and not a detailed buyers guide to book value or becoming an appraiser after watching it. I found it to be extremely helpful on the what to look for aspects.

mdubya

Reaction score
Are you buying it? Looks like a nice guitar ...

To me the video seemed like a basic guideline and not a detailed buyers guide to book value or becoming an appraiser after watching it. I found it to be extremely helpful on the what to look for aspects.
Eric's credentials are pretty strong.

The vintage guitar world gets murky very quickly.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The vintage guitar world gets murky very quickly.
There are several people in this thread that are extremely knowledgeable....MANY on this forum that have excellent credentials. Yet time and time again people who spend most of their time in the other sub-forums occasionally drop by....like a drive by.......spew a bunch of uninformed nonsense and leave.

I don't know what this forum can, or is willing to do about it, but it's why more important and knowledgeable people don't post, (look at who longer post here) and why we ultimately end up chasing our tails rather than have a serious debate.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
There are several people in this thread that are extremely knowledgeable....MANY on this forum that have excellent credentials. Yet time and time again people who spend most of their time in the other sub-forums occasionally drop by....like a drive by.......spew a bunch of uninformed nonsense and leave.

I don't know what this forum can, or is willing to do about it, but it's why more important and knowledgeable people don't post, (look at who longer post here) and why we ultimately end up chasing our tails rather than have a serious debate.
Who's people you are insulting now? I see no one here posting disinformation, or arguing something you said about the bursts cues. No one here tried to say you were wrong on your knowledge. You started here, saying the video was wrong in many parts, others just said they were enjoying the video. Then you started insulting me for no reason, like you always do with everyone which is not part of your little "circle".

You should manage your ego, and don't reply people you don't like. Just ignore it. Stop the continuous straw-man.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Who's people you are insulting now?
I was not including you in that comment...but thanks for strengthening my point. :cheers:

Also, since you are trying to rewrite history.

You started here, saying the video was wrong in many parts, others just said they were enjoying the video. Then you started insulting me for no reason
Post #20

"I see nowhere in the video, stating it was a specific 59 ID process. To me looks obvious he's talking very general, just using a 59 he had at the shop."

That was your FIRST comment directed specifically at me.

Don't rewrite history.

There is no "circle." Quit trying to divide people.

Last edited: