Watch This Before You Spend A Quarter Million On That Burst

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very good attempt, but there are several things factually wrong in the video. The switch tip, jack plate, and binding scrapping info is wrong. His ABR-1 details overlooked the biggest "tell." Kinda the same with the stop bar. That was on one pass through....I'll have to look at this video more thoroughly to get more details.

Overall, stellar production.

Last edited:

1981 LPC

Reaction score
The ABR on that 59 looks pretty much caved-in by the way. Minute 18:30. Too much originality if you ask me.

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome production and informative video!

Today I've learned hide glue on tops it's just another marketing BS. :applause::applause:
I’ve been saying this for years in the Historic Section Pier.

Gibson never used Hide Glue on the Maple / Mahogany join. They used Phenol Formaldehyde (some think Urea Formaldehyde but I don’t agree with that one).

I have samples of Glue Runout from a ‘50’s Les Paul (sent by a Luthier here) that I will eventually get analysed when I pull my finger out.

Cheers, Rudi.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very good attempt, but there are several things factually wrong in the video. The switch tip, jack plate, and binding scrapping info is wrong. His ABR-1 details overlooked the biggest "tell." Kinda the same with the stop bar. That was on one pass through....I'll have to look at this video more thoroughly to get more details.

Overall, stellar production and a much better attempt than most. Solid "B." :cheers:
I thought I've also seen many a burst with pickguard screws that are flush with the top of the guard.

monty john

Reaction score
Awesome vid.....makes me feel stupid now though...9 Les Pau'ls I have owned and NONE =NONE was ever built correctly like a real one even the Historic's I have owned and paid a ton for...crap.....

Then chasing the top. On this site its all about the top= folks will pay upward of 5K just for the look of the top...crazy aint it? Doesn't have anything to do with tone or originality...the last Lester I bought doesn't have the awesome top but sounds better than the others I have owned. wtf?

If I ever hit it big I will just buy a replica from a good builder that does it the right way .... or just keep plinking on the Gibson's? gadz

jerry47

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good Informational Video Thanks For Posting.:cheers:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, I watched it one time through and took notes.

This is NOT a "1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst authentication" video.

There was only one detail that was specifically germane to 50's "Bursts"...the 1959 serial number range.

The rest of the information in this video could be applicable to many other models.

This video omits all of the most truly important details of a Burst authentication. Dozens. This is more accurately a 50's vintage Gibson guitar authentication video.

Wrong details?

Fake stoptails are usually gold late 60's TP's with the gold buffed off. The have a slightly different mold. That should have been pointed out.

Vintage ABR-1's have mold that is different than the reproductions. No caliper needed.

Original switch tips have a very thin wall....most reproductions are thicker. Flatter switch "tips" are most likely earlier 50's.

Striation lines on the pickguard usually run parallel to the strings....not at a 90 degree angle.

"The binding on these Les Pauls were scrapped very well." "Rarely see errors around the binding area."

Oh really!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Think again.

1959_Gibson Les_paul 9_1256 (8).jpg

"Rarely see correctly routed control cavities on fakes." (He needs to get out more....)

He says the newer fakes are so good, yet name checks long gone Chris Derrig as one of the most famous "counterfeiters." Kinda misleading, his guitars were notoriously inaccurate.

Modern wire always has 3 braids? I have some with 2 pair.

To sum up....No real "Burst" details in this video.

Therefore, I am lowering my assessment to a "D." The fantastic production and competency of the narrator being the redeeming points.

They just need to change the name of the video to accurately reflect its true content and then it will get a solid "B."

Pretty easy stuff to fix.

Last edited:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, I watched it one time through and took notes.

This is NOT a "1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst authentication" video.

There was only one detail that was specifically germane to 50's "Bursts"...the 1959 serial number range.

The rest of the information in this video could be applicable to many other models.

This video omits all of the most truly important details of a Burst authentication. Dozens. This is more accurately a 50's vintage Gibson guitar authentication video.

Wrong details?

Fake stoptails are usually gold late 60's TP's with the gold buffed off. The have a slightly different mold. That should have been pointed out.

Vintage ABR-1's have mold that is different than the reproductions. No caliper needed.

Original switch tips have a very thin wall....most reproductions are thicker. Flatter switch "tips" are most likely earlier 50's.

Striation lines on the pickguard usually run parallel to the strings....not at a 90 degree angle.

He says the newer fakes are so good, yet name checks long gone Chris Derrig as one of the most famous "counterfeiters." Kinda misleading, his guitars were notoriously inaccurate.

Modern wire always has 3 braids? I have some with 2 pair.

To sum up....No real "Burst" details in this video.

Therefore, I am lowering my assessment to a "D." The fantastic production and competency of the narrator being the redeeming points.

They just need to change the name of the video to accurately reflect its true content and then it will get a solid "B."

Pretty easy stuff to fix.

What do you make about the pickguard screw hole comment? ie., screw is not flush.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The tooling that did the countersink most likely wore down (or got out of adjustment) so the holes do appear to have changed over time. But ultimately, there is too much variance in one guard from another to hold that as gospel.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
interesting comment eric......thanks

so i could reply upon some of the information for 50's vintage gibsons, just not "bursts" in your opinion.

that would still work for me, as i honestly dont see myself blowing that kind of cash on any guitar...

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see nowhere in the video, stating it was a specific 59 ID process. To me looks obvious he's talking very general, just using a 59 he had at the shop.

He also said in the video, at the very start, that is just a quick overview of their validation process.