Watch NASA fire up SLS for the first time!

lancpudn

Reaction score
I'm catching up on some youtube vids & keep switching between them waiting for the big tamale :dude:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ughh, holding. I love having access to see what used to be hidden from us, but now I have to re-learn to be patient.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Temporary solution at best.
SLS is simply reusing the old STS engines... but this time they won't be recovered.
Rocketdyne isn't building them anymore, and there is not an unlimited supply.

I am seriously unimpressed with the way the whole SLS project has gone. I was excited for it 15 years ago... but I should have known that the bureaucracy at NASA would fuck it up.
So they'll only be able to run a few launches of the SLS without moving to a "Block 2" with a newer engine and thrust structure.

Constellation was on the right path. New booster, new engines.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Team Space!

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And stopped...Well, at least it didn't blow up! They said the wanted at the very minimum, 2 minutes of burn. They hoped for 8 minutes. 2 minutes didn't happen.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
TVC violation.....but it sounds as if they want to box it up and ship it to Kennedy like ASAP without running another test to see if the TVC actually works.

Werner is probably not that impressed.......

Olds442

Reaction score
Temporary solution at best.
SLS is simply reusing the old STS engines... but this time they won't be recovered.
Rocketdyne isn't building them anymore, and there is not an unlimited supply.

I am seriously unimpressed with the way the whole SLS project has gone. I was excited for it 15 years ago... but I should have known that the bureaucracy at NASA would fuck it up.
So they'll only be able to run a few launches of the SLS without moving to a "Block 2" with a newer engine and thrust structure.

Constellation was on the right path. New booster, new engines.
the most expensive, left over tech, on earth.

i'm glad they're finally going to launch the SLS but yeah, what a cost to the US. hopefully all goes well, fingers crossed.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott is my go-to guy.

Olds442

Reaction score
however i will say this.

it does make sense that the seat that takes the first woman to the moon, is the most expensive seat in all of history.

there's some serious irony right there, especially since it will be years late.

men at NASA are like, "what did you expect?"

endofmysexismpost.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
however i will say this.

it does make sense that the seat that takes the first woman to the moon, is the most expensive seat in all of history.

there's some serious irony right there, especially since it will be years late.

men at NASA are like, "what did you expect?"

endofmysexismpost.
Is it really sexist, if it's true?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott is my go-to guy.
I really like Everyday Astronaut. Tim is really sharp and explains things well.
His regular videos are long, but he keeps them moving and interesting... unlike the Pedal Show... I just can't sit through an hour of pedal talk.
But livestreams are odd.
I can watch one live, but won't watch one that's already completed.

Scott? He's great and generally the first source that I wait for after a test or launch.
He's got a good sense of humor and jabs it in just right... like the test shutdown being the only thing on SLS completed ahead of schedule... or Starship's "Engine rich exhaust"

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool? Yep
Generated a lot of jobs and income? Yep
Worth the estimated $17 billion dollars spent? Nope
Honestly, 17b over the duration of this project is a drop in the bucket.
NASA would not be in the sorry shape that it is in if it still had a respectable budget.

The government wastes a lot more on far more line items that do less for society and the economy.

tjbitt

Reaction score
I agree 100% on all the government waste. I also fail to see how sending people back to the moon does anything for our society other than to provide jobs. I realize a lot of advancements in technology were made during the 60's from the "space race", but I going "back" to the moon? Same thing with sending man to Mars. All the money that will be spent to what end. Just to say we sent someone to Mars? Think what could be accomplished in this country to end hunger and poverty with that kind of money. Sorry just don't see it.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% on all the government waste. I also fail to see how sending people back to the moon does anything for our society other than to provide jobs. I realize a lot of advancements in technology were made during the 60's from the "space race", but I going "back" to the moon? Same thing with sending man to Mars. All the money that will be spent to what end. Just to say we sent someone to Mars? Think what could be accomplished in this country to end hunger and poverty with that kind of money. Sorry just don't see it.
This new "space race" involving a number of private companies, India, and China is all about rare earth mining.

With the demand for batteries ramping up, the bulk of rare earth metals are coming out of China, and it is estimated that they have only about 20 years of reserves at estimated increases in production levels.

Enter, mining the moon.

Olds442

Reaction score
assuming we can't cut the travel time to mars down by a fuck ton, it's not worth trying to do before setting up a moon base imo. the main reason being that the moon is much closer and easier to access. now, we can't terraform the moon as we "potentially" could mars, but it still makes us extinction level asteroid proof. t-rex would be jelly.

aside those jobs, possibly making it through the next major cataclysm may be a good motive on our behalf?

Latest Threads