Watch NASA’s Perseverance Rover Land on Mars!

PeteK

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised by the design of that helicopter. I would think a quad rotor drone would be much more stable?

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised by the design of that helicopter. I would think a quad rotor drone would be much more stable?
No, the atmosphere is only 1% of ours. The blades would have to be HUGE. Coaxial is actually VERY stable. It's not a main/tail rotor setup. Coaxial models are the easiest for new people to fly.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to have 3 rotors, just in a stack. Maybe just 2 rotors.

I read they proved it in a simulated environment.

PeteK

Reaction score
It looks to have 3 rotors, just in a stack. Maybe just 2 rotors.

I read they proved it in a simulated environment.
I just would have thought the layout like a drone, where the rotors are spaced out, would be more stable. I guess with the need for larger rotors due to less atmosphere, the helicopter is probably more compact than it would be with the rotors spaced out like a drone.

murmel

Reaction score
Congratulations to NASA and JPL, what a great success already. Looking forward to the first rides and flights.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Krispy Kreme offers free 'Mars doughnut' for NASA's red planet rover landing
Krispy Kreme is commemorating the Mars landing of NASA's Perseverance Rover with the special Mars donut. It's only available Thursday, Feb. 18.

Latest Threads