Wasn't going to rant but.....

Musha Ring

Reaction score
The grain inside the "plug" matches the grain at the border, so I'd say it's not a plug. The scrape on the fingerboard, most of my LPs came with those. And the tape around the pickup, a total non-issue in my opinion.

But I didn't buy the guitar, you did, so if you can't live with those things return it and find something that will meet your expectations.

DaveSG

Reaction score
How is the top? I don't know if these come w/ a plain top or figure. If it is figured and is amazing and would haunt you if you returned it, I might think twice. If it is just a regular ol' plain top, then I would send it back - the pickup is actually broken, so you got a defective instrument.

bytemare

Reaction score
UPDATE:

First, to all who said I should just send it back, you are absolutely right. Except, I want this guitar lol. I waited quite a while to get this, and they are no longer in stock. I really like the top and the fretwork is pretty good too. Even the nut is cut well.

So, I fixed the crooked jack. It really wasn't that hard and you can't even tell that it was once crooked. So that's fixed. I also gently buffed out the binding and got the black stuff off.

I went to the authorized Gibson repair place, and the tech tested it and said, yep, you got a bad pickup, and it will be replaced under warranty. I'm sure that's going to take some time for him to order and Gibson to actually send it to him, and really, I'd like to change the pickups anyway, as well as putting in a PCB with push/pull pots for coil split.

For the cosmetic issues, the store offered me a nice discount which I accepted (no discounts on defective items), so this will all be fine when it's all done. It's just hard to understand how this could leave the factory and sold for almost 2k. Ok happy NGD sort of to me!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Glad you sorted it out! Did you just drill new holes for the jack plate? Glad you got the bad pickup taken care of.

moreles

Reaction score
Who are you buying from that delivers guitars with such defects? I like Gibsons, the guitars, but not Gibson, the company, and any deraler should sure as hell know that Gibson quality is unreliable, and for the bucks they are skimming from the transaction, they owe you an inspection before they hand it along. Otherwise, who needs a dealer? As for Epis, those of you who post that yours are consistently perfect, well, why do you still pay $$$ for Gibsons? In my experience, Epis are good guitars for the money, certainly nothing special (except the occasional one) and in no way comparable to a proper Gibson. I never understand why people who say Epis are so exceptional don't just buy and play Epis. Finally, this forum is filled with people exaggerating defects... but the pics posted in this thread show flat out horrible defects, for real.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I received a 2019 Standard with severe binding issues, very poor attention to details on the upper frets, & a few other things. Yes I was very disappointed. The Standard also had a huge divot in one of the frets on that Standard also. I ordered a Classic shortly after that and found very odd marks around the neck joint that were cleared over to preserve the flaws for life I guess. Here are the pics I saved from those poor experiences. I had none of these issue with the Gibson Les Pauls I purchased before 2016. In fact 2013 seemed like some of the best I have seen.

Flaw1.jpg Flaw3.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200109_024155.jpg PHOTO_20201223_035134.jpg

bytemare

Reaction score
I took that pickup out and there's a long thin strand copper wire outside the tape. Ooops. Well, in the past Gibson has always taken care of issues, and there have been quite a few. Why do own so many more Gibsons than other brands?? I don't know, but at least they take care of their customers.

I just drilled 3 new holds for the jack plate. Easy. I know, I should have returned it. But I threw in some 61's in there, may favorite, and it sounds and plays great!!

Adinol

Reaction score
This is a feature. That's what I was told when I complained about my 1995 asymmetrical neck profile, on a limited edition CS LP. That asymmetrical profile in 1995 was a few decades before the asymmetrical profile was officially invented. I guess I should feel honored that mine was amongst the first models to have this great feature.

Mahogany is easy to plug and redrill. The plugs would be under the plate.

I have to strain my eyes to see marks on the binding. Is it around the neck binding? Just scrape with a blade.

Bobbylee

Reaction score
I got a Gibo once with a screw missing on one of the tuners, they did send me the screw when I pointed this item out to them. Swell group of folks.

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
I‘ve seen the crooked jack plate on a couple of recent Gibsons. I don’t get it. How hard is it eyeball something relatively straight? My kid could do better…

TheWelder

Reaction score
I'm pretty forgiving on what most people call 'QC' issues, but that crocked jack plate would bother me.

IGRocker

Reaction score
That “plug” looks like a drop of water or sweat landed on the body and dried prior to the clear coat being applied. I see it every so often on panel repair at the auto restoration shop I work at.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
looks like a classic lite in honeyburst - return yours and get one available here:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
That “plug” looks like a drop of water or sweat landed on the body and dried prior to the clear coat being applied. I see it every so often on panel repair at the auto restoration shop I work at.
Probably a drop of sweat from the guy who installed the jack plate.
It burned through the finish and they had to buff it some.

;)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I took that pickup out and there's a long thin strand copper wire outside the tape. Ooops. Well, in the past Gibson has always taken care of issues, and there have been quite a few. Why do own so many more Gibsons than other brands?? I don't know, but at least they take care of their customers.

I just drilled 3 new holds for the jack plate. Easy. I know, I should have returned it. But I threw in some 61's in there, may favorite, and it sounds and plays great!!
I don't agree that you "should have returned it".
We each have our reasons to come to terms or not with a "less than ideal situation".

I would say you resolved the issues to your satisfaction and that's what's important.
Before I read how you fixed it I was gonna ask how the guitar felt overall because
if a guitar "speaks" to you is more important than anything else.

I'm glad that you got your stuff worked out and that you now like your guitar.
It's now better much than it was new, it has a "story"!
Enjoy it!
:thumb:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Naa i think you did the right thing, no guarantees the next one plays better. Plus the availability is scarce and you got a discount.

bytemare

Reaction score
Here it is!!!!
Replaced the pickups with 61's, which I adore. Waiting for replacement 57 from Gibson.
I wanted to put in a PCB with push pull pots but the body is too thin :D So I guess no push/pulls in this

Attachments

Latest Threads