Wasn't going to rant but.....

bytemare

Reaction score
I can't help it anymore. WARNING: This is another thread about quality control.

Finally got the LP I've been waiting for. It's been in and out of stock, and looks like I got the last one. Great! Well, it's close to 2k, and has the following issues:
1. jack plate is installed crooked. Like REALLY crooked. Obviously the person installing this plate knew it was crooked and just let go on to the step . It obviously doesn't affect how it plays but spending this kind of coin, one would expect stuff be installed straight. It looks cheap.
2. various marks on the binding, and even on the fretboard near the binding
3. Bridge pickup sounds like garbage. It's soft and tinny, and the tone control seems to act like a volume. I tested resistance -- 373k. Obviously that's not right, and I have no idea if it's the pickup or the pcb board.

So, I could return it, and they said they will be back in stock in February 2022. Great. It's an "exclusive" so I can't find it anywhere else. and this one looks really nice. I just don't understand how an instrument costing this much can leave the factory in this condition.

Another fun issue: I got an LP that loved back in 2016. It had numerous issues, all covered under warranty. Well, with the final issue, the authorized Gibson Service Center destroyed the guitar. I was livid, and Gibson told me to send it back to them. Eventually, they replaced it, which was actually really great customer service, even if it took a while. The replacement is great, except you can see in 2 places where they plugged the wood. Also, to intonate properly, I had to move the saddles are far back as possible (and flip 3 of them). That guitar is $2800!

I've also acquired 2 epiphones this past year, and the quality is spot on. No issues, everything works, and they play great. Something is wrong here, because those cost like 1/3 of the premium brand.

I'm done ranting, I feel better, sort of.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I can't help it anymore. WARNING: This is another thread about quality control.

Finally got the LP I've been waiting for. It's been in and out of stock, and looks like I got the last one. Great! Well, it's close to 2k, and has the following issues:
1. jack plate is installed crooked. Like REALLY crooked. Obviously the person installing this plate knew it was crooked and just let go on to the step . It obviously doesn't affect how it plays but spending this kind of coin, one would expect stuff be installed straight. It looks cheap.
2. various marks on the binding, and even on the fretboard near the binding
3. Bridge pickup sounds like garbage. It's soft and tinny, and the tone control seems to act like a volume. I tested resistance -- 373k. Obviously that's not right, and I have no idea if it's the pickup or the pcb board.

So, I could return it, and they said they will be back in stock in February 2022. Great. It's an "exclusive" so I can't find it anywhere else. and this one looks really nice. I just don't understand how an instrument costing this much can leave the factory in this condition.

Another fun issue: I got an LP that loved back in 2016. It had numerous issues, all covered under warranty. Well, with the final issue, the authorized Gibson Service Center destroyed the guitar. I was livid, and Gibson told me to send it back to them. Eventually, they replaced it, which was actually really great customer service, even if it took a while. The replacement is great, except you can see in 2 places where they plugged the wood. Also, to intonate properly, I had to move the saddles are far back as possible (and flip 3 of them). That guitar is $2800!

I've also acquired 2 epiphones this past year, and the quality is spot on. No issues, everything works, and they play great. Something is wrong here, because those cost like 1/3 of the premium brand.

I'm done ranting, I feel better, sort of.
Personally I wouldn’t pay more than a grand for any guitar especially a Gibson style that has a pcb board and regardless of whether it did or not, I’d buy a high quality drop in kit based on 50s wiring. The specific brand Emerson I am referring to is considered an upgrade even for high end models. And yea gibsons quality has always sucked. Ironically, the best Gibson les Paul I have ever played was a 78 the Paul made from solid walnut. That guitar brand new was considered what today’s high end epiphone is. Still I’ve never played a better les Paul than that. Norlin era or not (yes I’m a fan). Furthermore, I think what you’ve been through on MORE than one Gibson is kind of pathetic. Sucks they can’t simply pull a keeper off the conveyer belt. Seems like hand made is getting closer and closer to how it sounds in my southern land. Just homemade. In the world of musicians, cheap and affordable are two different aspects entirely. This is why I’ve resorted to nodding the hell out of every guitar I get no matter the price. Personally Idc how damn expensive a vintage guitar is, if I’m not 100% happy with it, then it ain’t worth it. Idc about resale value because if I plan on buying a guitar to begin with, then I automatically overrule ever selling that guitar. That’s just my opinions on everything. Hope you find justice dude seriously. Especially these days, there just isn’t much room for being ok with things as much as it used to be.

ARandall

Reaction score
The marks are obviously the actual issue here.
I know we've seen a few where they're like ski jumps, and the flipside where someone's posted the offending area a nobody can see anything wrong.

The bridge pickup - well thats the nature of guitars. Sometimes they sound bright, sometimes they're dull or flat. Its a lottery given every single cut of wood is unique, and the typical Les Paul has 10 separate bits that make the guitar. And you don't know if its the chassis thats the terminally bad bit, or the pickup not being right for the guitar.

The pot value - not necessarily wrong, or accurately measured, or out of spec. Basic pots have a 20% tolerance. So thats at the low end of that.
Plus 300k are used quite often - it could be a 300k at the upper range of that pot's tolerance.
And if you've ever used a 500k pot on the tone, you don't get any action until you're beyond where your 370 ish value is anyhow.

bytemare

Reaction score
pics:

first 3 are les paul classic lite (crooked ring, sloppy pickup tape, well that pickup doesn't work anyway marks on binding and fretboard), in the last pic, find the plug on the les paul modern! :)

Forgot to mention: This guitar doesn't have that vanilla smell either! I thought that was a feature!
20210902_163149.jpg

20210902_165544.jpg
20210902_165620.jpg
20210903_000157.jpg

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
pics:

first 3 are les paul classic lite (crooked ring, sloppy pickup tape, well that pickup doesn't work anyway marks on binding and fretboard), in the last pic, find the plug on the les paul modern! :)

Forgot to mention: This guitar doesn't have that vanilla smell either! I thought that was a feature!
View attachment 558821

View attachment 558822 View attachment 558823 View attachment 558824
Holy hell that IS crooked. As for the bridge before you replace it if you plan to, I would personally lower the pickup and raise the pole pieces to standard fretboard radius to see if that changes anything. Sometimes location of how far or close the magnetic field is will ruin an entire guitar if no one knows what’s causing it.

bytemare

Reaction score
The pickup is messed up. These 57 classics should have some volume. The bridge pickup actually sounds like the coils are out of phase. With pots wide open, neck reads 7.81k, bridge reads 373k. It's messed up. Thinking about this a little more, the pickup is under warranty so it could be addressed, as for the jack plate, some toothpicks and glue will probably fix that too. Just seems like for this kind of coin, the user shouldn't have to go through this stuff.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The pickup is messed up. These 57 classics should have some volume. The bridge pickup actually sounds like the coils are out of phase. With pots wide open, neck reads 7.81k, bridge reads 373k. It's messed up. Thinking about this a little more, the pickup is under warranty so it could be addressed, as for the jack plate, some toothpicks and glue will probably fix that too. Just seems like for this kind of coin, the user shouldn't have to go through this stuff.
Oh definitely for sure especially for that price. And yea I forgot about that reading in the first post. Bridge is screwed for sure. Unless of course you’ve managed to get the most metal pickup in existence. With low output mixed with high readings, this will be EVOLUTIONARY. That is ENTIRELY ridiculous. Is this factory second? B stock? Secretly used even? It’s seems like everything put together like that is, sounds like intentional foul play meant for someone specific. Haven’t pissed off anybody in Nashville have ya? I can’t believe there’s nothing much you can do with this in terms of replacement or “insurance” goes. I’d be pissed like hell. But then again I’m also the guy that gets grumpy when I have to intonate a 400$ guitar:hmm:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Just the jack plate alone would be enough for me to return it.

I've never seen one that bad.

I gave you $2000 and you gave me a product that more than one employee saw had a serious QA issue and didn't give a fu#k.

Nope.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
you know you are right,and my epis are perfect,have never had a gibby that messed up though...send it back and get a refund.

Peter M

Reaction score
1630667108778.png

They really should use smaller jack plates on the Lite models... it's like a sledgehammer on a fly. And yeah... the crooked mounting is a slap in the face. I'd return it.

bum

Reaction score
View attachment 558846
They really should use smaller jack plates on the Lite models... it's like a sledgehammer on a fly. And yeah... the crooked mounting is a slap in the face. I'd return it.
I totally agree, I have never taken time to look at one before, but it looks like they just screw through the binding and to hell with it? Seems really odd.
The pickup issue would drive me mad, but personally none of the other issues would bother me.
I would return it if you aren't happy though, you deserve to be happy as it is your money.
Good luck, hope you get a good result.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I would send that one back

northernbreed

Reaction score
I'd return it - there are too many nice used GLPs out there to choose from to put up with that.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t pay more than a grand for any guitar especially a Gibson style that has a pcb board
To each their own and all that, but I mean, a full rewiring 50s style with high quality components costs less than $70 if you're handy with a soldering iron.

The nitro finish on Gibsons costs more than the parts of the rest of the guitar combined, according to a Gibson Montana employee I met with. The numerous coats and time spent curing, taking up space (real estate) is primarily what you're paying for. In comparison a PCB board likely costs a few dollars which wouldn't really have much of an impact on the value of the guitar one way or the other.

Findthetone

Reaction score
As crooked as that jack plate is I don't think there will be any way to fix it without at least one of the old holes showing. That's horrible work. I'd send it packing.

bum

Reaction score
I have never inspected the jack plate on my Les Pauls. They might be crooked. I will never know. :dunno:
For what it's worth neither have, but he has, and it's crooked and he should send it back

Latest Threads