Was this caused by sweat?

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I was just agreeing with someone in a different thread yesterday that I have too many black guitars...

Maybe I should count my blessings!

But honestly, I have never seen a white nitro finish that didn't seem to immediately start to pick up stains, and turn translucent over the years. A friend owns a 1275 that looks pink where it isn't stained (very little of that, because he's literally OCD about cleaning his hands---always had a dispenser of hand sanitizer with him, decades before COVID became a thing---and even though the guitar spent all of the time when it was not being played in the case, the white faded until the color of the mahogany beneath gives it a pink color... And not uniformly, so it's mottled pink!
Interesting... the majority of gelled or thickened hand sanitizers use glycerin as the thickener, and although it's essentially inert by itself it can react with other chemicals like nitric acid, and there is a chemical commonality between nitric acid and nitrocellulose... wonder if his hand sanitizer contains glycerin and the absorbed glycerin is reacting with the nitro finish... other sanitizers have bleach in them.... the safe thing to use would be soap and water before playing.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give it a polish and a wax or something. Just like car you have take care of the paint or it will begin to fail. Id put alittle wax over that spot to protect it.

Zylo

Reaction score
Interesting... the majority of gelled or thickened hand sanitizers use glycerin as the thickener, and although it's essentially inert by itself it can react with other chemicals like nitric acid, and there is a chemical commonality between nitric acid and nitrocellulose... wonder if his hand sanitizer contains glycerin and the absorbed glycerin is reacting with the nitro finish... other sanitizers have bleach in them.... the safe thing to use would be soap and water before playing.
Maybe he can be super clean and just wear gloves and play?

zdoggie

Reaction score
I think that someone above had a good guess of what you wear when playing possible fabric dye really in the photo if you would'nt have circled it i would have missed it now that being said it may be that gremlin that plagues gibson on fit and finish ,play long and prosoer .

zdog

gball

Reaction score
EVERYONE knows a real man, (or woman) plays kazoo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hol up, hol up, TV yellow changed color? I need to take a good look at mine tomorrow, haven't noticed anything myself... and mine is far older than yours!
Yeah, on the top where my arm rubs the edge and also on the back were it rubs against my pants when I play. So subtle it probably wouldn't even show in a photo but definitely discolored a bit in those areas. It's possible I am just dirtier than most other people too.

Zylo

Reaction score
Yeah, on the top where my arm rubs the edge and also on the back were it rubs against my pants when I play. So subtle it probably wouldn't even show in a photo but definitely discolored a bit in those areas. It's possible I am just dirtier than most other people too.
hang on,
let me get my scientific hat on,
are you telling us your guitar is changing colours in the areas where your arms are rubbing against it and where your pants are rubbing it...?

Prometheus

Reaction score
Are you sure it's your pants and not your pp? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

grumphh

Reaction score

I noticed this portion of my 2018 white sg has blackened a little bit. It goes in a rack so there is no contact in this area with a case. Its where my forearm rests. I dont usually wipe it down. i think ive got some acidic sweat. I blacken uncoated guitar strings within 48 hours (wash hands, wipe guitar down).

has anyone seen this before on a white guitar? fwiw, this has been in my possession for only a month, when i look at pics from back then, the spot wasnt there. I have a white studio but that doesnt have any blackened forearm area

I tried using baby wipes, alcohol wipes and gibson polish with no success.
Just an example of the exceedingly crappy finishes modern Gibsons are blighted with.

And now you get all the apologists who try to make this out as if wearing through paint within a year or two, was normal, which it isn't.
And then you have the crowd that claims that this is all about "relicing" your guitar easier.

No it is not. It is about saving money in production.

The real reason this happens is solid financial logic:
"Why use a proper number of paint coats when the sucke... ermmm, honoured customers, are satisfied with the least we can get away with?"

painter33

Reaction score
Truth, no justice, and the American way to maximize profits…cut corners, charge more.

reedrainey

Reaction score

I noticed this portion of my 2018 white sg has blackened a little bit. It goes in a rack so there is no contact in this area with a case. Its where my forearm rests. I dont usually wipe it down. i think ive got some acidic sweat. I blacken uncoated guitar strings within 48 hours (wash hands, wipe guitar down).

has anyone seen this before on a white guitar? fwiw, this has been in my possession for only a month, when i look at pics from back then, the spot wasnt there. I have a white studio but that doesnt have any blackened forearm area

HI,
I'm wondering if it could be a mild stain from new jeans after a little perspiration. Very deep indigo blue jeans can rub off on a finish and can look like a somewhat black stain. What else have you tried to remove it with? Are we in agreement that it's where you rest the guitar on your right knee while playing? I'm assuming youre 'right-handed, here.

reedrainey

Reaction score
I dunno, but I am pretty sure you should never put alcohol on a nitro finish.
Related info about nitrocellulose finishes: I use Gibson Luthier's Choice Fretboard Conditioner for fretboard maintenance. When a bit of it snaked down on the back of a neck I lacquered with Stew-Mac's nitro, it started dissolving the finish. The only advertised ingredient in that product was "petroleum distillates".

30secs

Reaction score
Related issue.. can anyone advise how to get the green mark off? Believe it's caused by a strap.

PXL_20210829_212551269.jpg

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
I have the same problem on a white LP! But 13 years, I have not idea what caused it! It's a smokey dark tint where my arm rest and at bottom where my jack was. I doubt if it's sweat since there's no problem on the white neck. Some part on the edge of the body, it's pinkish.

Just decided not to deal or worry about it... so.. unfortunately on answere... just enjoy it.

rogue3

Reaction score

Nothing to do with sweat...its skin cells! We shed continuously.No,you aren't dirty! :rofl:
In fact, you are molting!:lol:

If it accumulates enough,in time,you will be able to scrape it off with the edge of a plastic credit card.I have a 1987 Les Paul.The stuff built up on the fretboard thick enough to scrape off.Black,goo.Mind you it took 30 years for that.I could hardly see it because the fretboard is so dark,but,if you look closely...little black mounds:eek2: .
My nitro guitars have a finish discoloration,wherever my skin rubs against the finish.This includes a spread of Lesters and Martins.My poly finish guitars do not.Guess that's why they say poly finish is more robust.They are smooth as glass.

Where your skin hits the finish,or fretboard, in a continuos manner,while playing,dead skin cells accumulate.
I speculate it varies from person to person.Some shed...some just keep their bag with minimal shedding...eeww!

People pay obscene money to get that look
Keep it up and come back in a few months and show us some more natural relicing !
The truth! I have a *reliced* guitar from Mexico,Roadworn Telecaster, that has this very appearance applied to it.Off the rack.Visible because of the blond finish. It has a thin nitro finish.Faux skin cells turned dark,almost black.I think they used some kind of wax,its applied around the edges at the back...its soft and can be scraped off.Over time(6 years) it has gone on to *age* the finish in those spots.
The areas it is applied to is suggestive of playing without a shirt on(think Flea,of RHCP).That's not me.:rofl:

If i look closely,all over the body,there are nitro finish cracks everywhere.This in just 6 years, just sitting there and being played.Its cool.The guitar sounds spectacular!:cool2:

Last edited:

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
thanks for the comments and tips, had a great time reading through

the darkened are is exactly where my forearm rests. I think i only noticed it because it was obvious on this white sg. I checked a couple of my other guitars and have noticed the same phenomena but it manifests as darkening of the binding. I dont really wear jeans when playing and never wear long sleeves here in cali - its gotta be my grubby forearm

oh well, ill just keep playing em

Latest Threads