Was Jimi a Gibson guy?! New Jimi Hendrix Custom Shop models

Mike J.

Reaction score
From the very first day the news got through, I had a feeling that the new Gibson Jimi Hendrix Custom guitars were going to create mixed feelings in the guitarist community.

Was Jimi a Gibson guy at all, or was he best known for playing Gibson guitars?
In this video I go into his Gibson models and the known facts. Of course,

I'll also share my view on the whole thing.
Have a look at my video ... what is your opinion on the topic?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
In spirit, yes. But, I think he gravitated more towards Fenders/Strats, bc they were a little more..."expendible".

I can guarantee, that had he been playing a Gibson at Monterey Pop, he wouldn't have set it on fire...at least not in the conventional way? Lol

zombiwoof

Reaction score
The last couple of years Jimi seems to have favored the Gibsons when he was playing the more bluesy songs live. In the studio I think he used whatever he needed to, to make the song sound the way he wanted. He still was primarily a Strat player, but the Gibsons did get use in the studio and live.
Al

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In spirit, yes. But, I think he gravitated more towards Fenders/Strats, bc they were a little more..."expendible".

I can guarantee, that had he been playing a Gibson at Monterey Pop, he wouldn't have set it on fire...at least not in the conventional way? Lol
I really don't think that the small difference in cost between Gibson and Fender was an issue at that point in his career.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I really don't think that the small difference in cost between Gibson and Fender was an issue at that point in his career.
You'd be surprised. Also, he probably thought Gibsons were "better" guitars, and didn't want to take a chance destroying them.

Watch some of the videos of him playing Gibsons vs. Fenders - he definitely played them differently.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. Also, he probably thought Gibsons were "better" guitars, and didn't want to take a chance destroying them.

Watch some of the videos of him playing Gibsons vs. Fenders - he definitely played them differently.
Honestly, I pound a little harder on my Gibsons.
Just something about the string position relative to the body I can really dig in.

But adjusted for inflation, late 60s/early 70s, the Strat was around $2300
Les Paul was about $2700, so it's about the same difference today, comparing the American Pro Strat with the LP Classic.
So again, comparing with today's prices, that puts the Flying-V right in there with the SG Standard and American Pro Strat.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Honestly, I pound a little harder on my Gibsons.
Just something about the string position relative to the body I can really dig in.

But adjusted for inflation, late 60s/early 70s, the Strat was around $2300
Les Paul was about $2700, so it's about the same difference today, comparing the American Pro Strat with the LP Classic.
So again, comparing with today's prices, that puts the Flying-V right in there with the SG Standard and American Pro Strat.
I'm not talking about the monetary differences. More about structual. Strats were designed to be more easily parts-swapped - break a neck on a Strat, a new one can be installed in a matter of minutes. Break a neck on a Gibson, you're out of a guitar for a few days.

I think he was also in the "less is more" camp, when it came to gear, so he probably didn't have a rack of spare guitars sitting backstage?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was also in the "less is more" camp, when it came to gear, so he probably didn't have a rack of spare guitars sitting backstage?
It was certainly a different environment, hearing stories of "such and such was stolen and Eric had to find one locally".

rogue3

Reaction score
I remember that one time he played a Parker Fly. That was awesome.

his Rt hand position,with the thumb around the neck...fingers at an angle...neck cupped in the thumb/first finger pocket,is absolutely my favorite hand position.Tops for my kind of vibrato.I do change-up,depending on the position...but this is my favorite. No strict classical nonsense technique for me,anyway.:rofl:

Latest Threads