Was going to return this, but...... Yes Another ---Tradional Pro V---Mahogany Top

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
So.... I had just put up a NGD on my plain top 2020 Trad Pro V. I have a cherry top Trad Pro V, and loved that so much, when I find them on GC used for $1300-1400, I get tempted. This Mahogany top came up and the price was right, so I bit. When I got it, it was meh. I didn't post a NGD thread b/c I figured I'd return it. It was Nice overall, no dents, scratches, it looked new. However, it sounded meh! Poor actually. So much so, that when I found the plain top I jumped on it and thought I'd return this one. Well when I got the plain top it sounded meh too, and I noticed the bridge was backwards, plus some other setup issues I corrected. Well low and behold, whoever sets up these guitars for GC must be dyslexic, b/c this one had a backwards bridge TOO!!!!. So I corrected that issue, and restrung it last night, and now this one sounds beautiful. After correcting action, now I like playing this one too. I'm almost talking myself into keeping it lol. Still had the plastic on pickguard when I got it, but I tore that off. Like new otherwise.

Whoever, gets a newer Gibson Traditional Pro V, will be well advised to look at pickup height. These pickups don't like to be too high, in my experience(3 examples). I find that if you get the pickups to where they are 1-2mm over the center of the pickup ring, they are in the range. Adjust as needed. Over that, and they get very spikey! Again, in my experience! They are not as creamy as the Probuckers in my 2016 Standard, but they are so awesome, and I prefer them over the Probuckers. I can tone these down, easier than getting the Probuckers to do metal. Maybe, I don't know what I'm doing lol. That could be, but the magic sauce I have, these Trad Pro V's, once pickups adjusted, are bomb!

IMG_1896 (2).JPG
IMG_18911111.jpg
IMG_1894 (2).JPG
IMG_1893 (2).JPG

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
That’s the one like I had. GC model I think.
It was meh.
I also like thicker necks, not asymmetric.
Felt kinda crude actually.
It went back (after I played around with the sounds). Eh.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Yeah I like the Asymmetrical necks, but I'm not the be all, end all of knowledge. Just seems to fit me ;). I wonder if your bridge was backwards too? They sound like poo when it's backwards.

sonar1

Reaction score
I dunno. Is it a Nashville?
Tried a Classic too. ‘60’s neck was too small for me.
Took ‘em back to GC and finally wound up (for $600 more) with a new Standard (well a 2019 but y’know: GC!)! :facepalm:
The Standard works good for me, but I’m on a midrange grail quest so put some SD Slash pu’s in it. Happy with it. I like a thicker neck.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I dunno. Is it a Nashville?
Tried a Classic too. ‘60’s neck was too small for me.
Took ‘em back to GC and finally wound up (for $600 more) with a new Standard (well a 2019 but y’know: GC!)! :facepalm:
The Standard works good for me, but I’m on a midrange grail quest so put some SD Slash pu’s in it. Happy with it. I like a thicker neck.
I’m going to have to claim ignorance on if it’s a Nashville or not? I assume you mean the bridge?

My Epiphone traditional pro plus III has a more 50s neck feel, well rounder than my Epiphone customs. I like the rounder feel as well. The asymmetrical to me is the best of both worlds. Feels chunky white cords and lower notes and seems to get thin/flatter in the higher registers so I can reach notes easier than I can on other necks. Works for me, but maybe not for why???

I did not care for the neck on a recent classic I played or a newer standard at local GC that had a 60’s neck!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nashville bridges are supposed to have the saddle adjustment screw heads facing the the stop bar..... ABR bridges have the screw heads facing the bridge pup because the strings will rest on the screw heads if facing the stop bar.... hard to adjust an ABR that way.... there’s no other reason.

The design of Nashville allows the slotted screws to face the stop bar, which is correct.

Nashville bridge in its correct orientation
6337A4F3-BBAE-4BF9-B775-4BCA2AD333B0.jpeg

ABR-1 in its correct orientation
F1D1B20B-E902-41A9-9D09-D5680C97F935.jpeg

To be honest it really doesn’t matter with the Nashville bridge as long as the Intonation is correct.

It does with the ABR.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Nashville bridges are supposed to have the saddle adjustment screw heads facing the the stop bar..... ABR bridges have the screw heads facing the bridge pup because the strings will rest on the screw heads if facing the stop bar.... hard to adjust an ABR that way.... there’s no other reason.

The design of Nashville allows the slotted screws to face the stop bar, which is correct.

Nashville bridge in its correct orientation
View attachment 530081

ABR-1 in its correct orientation
View attachment 530080

To be honest it really doesn’t matter with the Nashville bridge as long as the Intonation is correct.

It does with the ABR.
thank you! These are all Nashville then. My standard included! All face the rear. My Epiphones all face the front like ABR but we all know thats not the same!

sonar1

Reaction score
I like the ABR-1 bridge, and an aluminum stopbar, which my 2019 Standard ‘50’s and my 2020 Slash Standard November burst have.
39591B24-F521-48CF-8EA4-344240FF58EF.jpeg

I could do without the bridge stud sockets and liked when they just put the bare threaded studs right into the wood, like my used 2012 R9 had, though it sounds the same I think.
My Standard is almost out of room at the bottom. It would have more room the old way.
In any event we sound happy with the keepers.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I absolutely love your mahogany top Les Paul - I have had a few similar guitars but have sold them over the years. After seeing the images of your new full mahogany I really want to look into buying one again. I had the 2011 Faded Studio full mahogany version but wow yours would be a great step up from that. Yours is a Beautiful guitar!

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I absolutely love your mahogany top Les Paul - I have had a few similar guitars but have sold them over the years. After seeing the images of your new full mahogany I really want to look into buying one again. I had the 2011 Faded Studio full mahogany version but wow yours would be a great step up from that. Yours is a Beautiful guitar!
Thanks man! Yeah! I was so horny for the plain top that I forgot how beautiful this guitar was. And it was forgettable to play due to the bridge and setup being fubar. "Luckily", my new plain top was also goofy with the bridge being backwards, and I was only partially dumb for not noticing it on this guitar, but eventually noticed it on the plain top. Fixed the issue and man, after pickups being lowered and setup done, these sound awesome!

E.T.

Reaction score
Happy Re-New(ed) Guitar Day!

Yeah I like the Asymmetrical necks, but I'm not the be all, end all of knowledge. Just seems to fit me ;). I wonder if your bridge was backwards too? They sound like poo when it's backwards.
I also have a backwards Nashville for some reason, but I don't think it's affecting tone. In a 2007, looks like it came that way. Maybe the strings have just worn their way in, de-pooing it.

Brian N

Reaction score
Very nice looking LP. I tried a Trad Pro V last week and immediately put it back on the shelf. They advertise them as having "modern frets" which I took to mean they were larger; nope. Smaller. I even brought my calipers with me to test. Standard Gibson medium-jumbo frets are .045" high, the Trad Pro V frets are .03" Way too low for me.

moreles

Reaction score
whoever sets up these guitars for GC
In the GCs near me, I've always assumed that no one does setup because they're ridiculous. Anbd certainly no one dials in the pickups, which as you correctly point out, can affect the entire feel and response incredibly. It's really a problem that even when you're trying out a guitar, what you're trying in many GC stores is a fairly self-destructively crap setup of the instrument. Try playing an acoustic at GC -- you'll want to give up on acoustic guitars.

gball

Reaction score
In the GCs near me, I've always assumed that no one does setup because they're ridiculous. Anbd certainly no one dials in the pickups, which as you correctly point out, can affect the entire feel and response incredibly. It's really a problem that even when you're trying out a guitar, what you're trying in many GC stores is a fairly self-destructively crap setup of the instrument. Try playing an acoustic at GC -- you'll want to give up on acoustic guitars.
I don't even think about setup/pickup height/condition of strings when I try a guitar out in a shop (any shop). It's more about the feel of the neck and the overall vibe of the guitar for me - I know I can correct all the mechanical things but if the feel of the wood is off or the thing is dead as a brick I walk away.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
im sure its been posted 100x now but now matter what, any guitar that comes in my possession, new/old, guitar center/wildwood, regardless of anything, even if the guitar was setup prior to shipping - NO MATTER WHAT - i take it to my luthier to get it setup to my specs.

I can not stress how important it is to get your guitars setup as soon as you get them. It turns a meh guitar into a "holy shit, why did anyone let this go" guitar. If you cant intonate a guitar, adjust a truss rod properly or get the action dialed in like you like, please spend the $50-$100 to get it setup.

And throw new strings on there, always.

gball

Reaction score
So.... I had just put up a NGD on my plain top 2020 Trad Pro V. I have a cherry top Trad Pro V, and loved that so much, when I find them on GC used for $1300-1400, I get tempted. This Mahogany top came up and the price was right, so I bit. When I got it, it was meh. I didn't post a NGD thread b/c I figured I'd return it. It was Nice overall, no dents, scratches, it looked new. However, it sounded meh! Poor actually. So much so, that when I found the plain top I jumped on it and thought I'd return this one. Well when I got the plain top it sounded meh too, and I noticed the bridge was backwards, plus some other setup issues I corrected. Well low and behold, whoever sets up these guitars for GC must be dyslexic, b/c this one had a backwards bridge TOO!!!!. So I corrected that issue, and restrung it last night, and now this one sounds beautiful. After correcting action, now I like playing this one too. I'm almost talking myself into keeping it lol. Still had the plastic on pickguard when I got it, but I tore that off. Like new otherwise.

Whoever, gets a newer Gibson Traditional Pro V, will be well advised to look at pickup height. These pickups don't like to be too high, in my experience(3 examples). I find that if you get the pickups to where they are 1-2mm over the center of the pickup ring, they are in the range. Adjust as needed. Over that, and they get very spikey! Again, in my experience! They are not as creamy as the Probuckers in my 2016 Standard, but they are so awesome, and I prefer them over the Probuckers. I can tone these down, easier than getting the Probuckers to do metal. Maybe, I don't know what I'm doing lol. That could be, but the magic sauce I have, these Trad Pro V's, once pickups adjusted, are bomb!

View attachment 530060 View attachment 530061 View attachment 530062 View attachment 530063
The more I look at this guitar the more I love it.

Latest Threads