Warranty issue

spider murphy

Reaction score
I bought a 50s standard from Sam Ash three months ago. Today I went to adjust the truss rod and found the rod/nut canted in the cutout. I’ve sent an email to Gibson but am not expecting much. Think they will make this right?

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
The nut is brass and the rod is steel.... that nut is badly cross threaded.... could be the threaded truss rod is fine and the nut is crap.

A new nut may be all that is needed.... but take it to a qualified shop and let them have a look see.

Yes.... this should be covered by the warranty.

Sorry to see this amigo.

3909503B-D929-4505-8EF2-60686D8ED024.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmpman

Reaction score
How the tech at Gibson did not see that or feel it when he was putting the nut on is beyond me.

spider murphy

Reaction score
Gibson will 100% replace this.

i don’t know what their call banks are doing but I’ve never had an issue calling them...
1-800-4GIBSON

-Chris
I sent them an email last night, and called them this morning to let them know I had emailed them with pics and info. I haven’t heard back yet.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I sent them an email last night, and called them this morning to let them know I had emailed them with pics and info. I haven’t heard back yet.
it may be a Covid-19 issue...
but I call them semi-annually about models I’m interested in and only get results when I speak to someone..
normally a few calls is enough to get a person but society is kinda on hold at present...

But I’d keep calling until you talk to a person…
I’ve never found them to be great about returning messages and emails…
Though they will eventually, you won’t get the results unless you talk to a person…
I just don’t know if that’s possible right now considering how many call banks are furloughed...

-chris

spider murphy

Reaction score
it may be a Covid-19 issue...
but I call them semi-annually about models I’m interested in and only get results when I speak to someone..
normally a few calls is enough to get a person but society is kinda on hold at present...

But I’d keep calling until you talk to a person…
I’ve never found them to be great about returning messages and emails…
Though they will eventually, you won’t get the results unless you talk to a person…
I just don’t know if that’s possible right now considering how many call banks are furloughed...

-chris
I got through to a person. Nice guy that just told me someone would get back to me and that they respond in the order that messages come in,

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got through to a person. Nice guy that just told me someone would get back to me and that they respond in the order that messages come in,
oh cool...then ur good if I were guessing...
this is seemingly a pretty obvious from-the-factory flaw...

-Chris

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I’d take the nut off just to see if something is cross-threaded or bent. Take that little steel washer out and make sure that the wood underneath is actually level. That might be the only problem.

spider murphy

Reaction score
I’d take the nut off just to see if something is cross-threaded or bent. Take that little steel washer out and make sure that the wood underneath is actually level. That might be the only problem.
I’d love to. The truss rod wrench doesn’t fit over the nut. Could be too canted could be excess buildup of lacquer(been suggested elsewhere). Either way there is no way I’m using any force whatsoever to get the tool to fit only to have Gibson see the tiniest scratch and claim that I caused the problem. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I haven’t heard great things about their warranty department.

spider murphy

Reaction score
Finally got ahold of Gibson. The rep was a nice guy but said going by my pic he didn’t see anything wrong with the guitar, and that I could still send it in but it will take a few days to send me a return tag as it’s not an apparent issue. Don’t have much faith honestly.

dancsgrv

Reaction score
I'd go back to the dealer. I don't have experience with Sam Ash, but I bought a MIM Strat from Sweetwater. Two years later I tried to adjust the truss rod and had pretty much the same problem. Sweetwater sent me a packing box and shipping label, fixed it, and sent it back to me. It did take about a month, but they said it took that long to get the part from Fender.

danzego

Reaction score
Finally got ahold of Gibson. The rep was a nice guy but said going by my pic he didn’t see anything wrong with the guitar, and that I could still send it in but it will take a few days to send me a return tag as it’s not an apparent issue. Don’t have much faith honestly.

That's what they do. There's one guy in particular that I've spoken to a few times and he says that EVERY SINGLE TIME. It doesn't matter what the issue is, he'll feed you the line of it being a handmade instrument and to just play it, etc.

My new 1960 60th Anniversary Custom Shop is lovely, but the binding on the bass side has a bumpy texture to it. I've never seen anything like this before. Could be that the finish just wasn't buffed, could be something totally wrong with the binding. I called last week and he went on and on about handmade instruments and not everything is perfect, having a tiny issue in one spot (this is the entire bass side I'm talking about here, mind you) is normal, and all that. I finally got him to shut up and he relented, giving me the name of a local shop I can take it to for an evaluation.

Their job, it seems, is to get you off the phone and be happy with what you're given. ESPECIALLY something like this, a truss rod that isn't working, don't take no for an answer.

Latest Threads