Want to buy strap locks

Lungo

Reaction score
When someone posts a ":laugh2:" or a ":thumb:" it means they are making a light hearted joke. Don't take it serious.

Don't worry man you'll get plenty of help from here if you want it. :)

Xavier_32

Reaction score
If being able to remove the strap isn't big on your list of priorities for a straplock, you can just go buy some metal washers that will fit around the screw but not around the strap pin. Unscrew the screw and remove the strap pin, then put on the washer, the strap, and the pin onto the screw, in that order. Then screw it back into your guitar and the strap won't budge.

Should look something like:

C=i=|===>

In this example, C is the pin, i is the washer, | is the strap, and ===> is the screw.

Or, you can go buy a pack of Grolsch beer, and take the little red rubber washer under the swing top lid and just snap it around the strap pin like the picture River posted. Instant straplock. This one can be removed pretty easily, and will still hold up to the weight of your guitar.

Barring that, if you're really worried about drilling holes but really want to buy some strap locks, go with the Schallers. They work great, and they'll fit without drilling. You'll just have to shim some wood in the bottom screw hole to make them fit.

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
For the bottom strap button (which is the thicker one because that's how they hang at the factory when they're painted and the only reason you can't just swap the stock strap locks for the Schallers) I made the opening of the Schaller bigger so I could use the original screw and not "mod" the guitar and also not worry about toothpicks or shimming. I read somewhere on here that someone filed down the screw head but I couldn't for the life of me get the screw to budge. So I finally took a countersink to widen the opening of the Schaller just enough. Then I took a drill bit to the inside of the Schaller so the screw could sit down in the hole. I tried the drill bit first but it just wouldn't work until I used the countersink to get it started.

Be sure not to drill all the way through the Schaller though, otherwise it will be useless. :laugh2:

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....In my country they don't sell such things as schallers....

I bet that there's a supplier of guitar parts and accessories that supplies El Salvador, or some other Central American country with Schallers. They are made in freakin' Germany and are known all over the world!
Chill, NN!:dude:

River

Reaction score
I've only ever heard one good reason for not using Grolsch washers, and it's not applicable, I'd bet, to 80% or more guitar players. And the beer is one of the best. It's almost as fine as Mickey's.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I've only ever heard one good reason for not using Grolsch washers....And the beer is one of the best. It's almost as fine as Mickey's.

You go wash your mouth out!

wash_mouth_out_soap.jpg

Username1

Reaction score
Just finished putting schaller's on all my guitars, best strap locks out there :thumb:

Xavier_32

Reaction score
I've only ever heard one good reason for not using Grolsch washers, and it's not applicable, I'd bet, to 80% or more guitar players. And the beer is one of the best. It's almost as fine as Mickey's.

What's the reason?

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
The reason is because I'm not leaving my strap on. So I'm a 20%er. :laugh2:

River

Reaction score
Too cheap to buy Schallers, and drinks too much.:laugh2:
Close. Doesn't drink enough - can't afford Grolsch.

The reason is because I'm not leaving my strap on. So I'm a 20%er. :laugh2:
That's it. Not that they're that hard to take off. But it's not just a quick "snap". Takes about ten seconds of my precious time. Time I could be drinking more beer.

ehamady6

Reaction score
Thanx for the information! I know it isn't exactly a modification, but i'm afraid of drilling holes :S...I don't want to screw up my girl! You are convincing me to buy schallers, but tell me, do the most of you guys use schallers on your LPs? In other words, have you drilled holes and removed the original buttons from ur LPs? Don't u consider it like a little sacrifice? I mean, it's such an expensive guitar! I wouldn't mind to do it on my Squier Strat...I just want to be really sure that it's like a common thing to do! Thanx!

NO DRILLING OR MODIFICATION NECESSARY. The Schaller screws were smaller than the stock button screws on my LP Custom, so I inserted a wooden skewer to add wood to grip the smaller screw. It really locks the Schaller screw in solid and I've never had one even loosen. The skewer is a softer wood so it also preserves the original thread. I can take the skewer out and put the stock screw back in and it fits perfectly.

I use Schallers on my #1 (2008 ebony Custom) and wouldn't use any other brand. Customs are heavy, and IMO it's a sacrifice to gamble with other locks.

Lpendes

Reaction score
Theres these straplocks i use on my Gibson Les paul Jr there called Regel Strap locks there GREAT i use them on ALL my guitars my acoustics and electrics and they fit great. no mods just screw them on!

Ramirogrunge

Reaction score
But it would be worst if while playing the guitar falls and gets totalled. i mean its a little sacrifce the schallers, but i'll save your guitar from a bigger sacrifice

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Hey, did anyone mention Schallers yet? :D

I was hesitant to put them on my R9 - I knew I was going to screw it up. It was easy (toothpick and wood glue in the bottom hole, then insert the screw.) Worked like a champ and I couldn't tell I ever did it.

Of course, then I sold it so it doesn't matter. I guess I'll go over to my friend's house and see it again - I stay there Tuesday nights so I can get some sleep between school and work, a good thing to do every once in a while (he lives close to where I go to school, but I don't.)

David

Latest Threads