Walnut 72 Thinline Build

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Super pumped about this project which I am hoping cures my GAS for a long time.

Specs:

- All walnut 4 piece with tons of grain
- Fat Warmoth neck
- Warmoth 72 Thinline parchment pickguard
- non glossy hardware
- Wide Range Repro (maybe Lollar, Curtis Novak, Creanery, or possibly an MLP'er)

Still to figure out:

Bridge

I am thinking this style (callagam, kluson, Phila Luthier)

but I dont know if I am just in love with the look. I imagine I need the widest spacing due to the wide humbuckers. I would go brass compensated. Would love to hear advice.

3 hole neck?

Contoured neck area?

Push Pull pots and/or switch for alternate cap?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. The body maker is hard at work and will pass his info on as soon as the final product is in my hands.

Hoping another MLPer will be helping with the final drilling and PU routing.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Body is off to our very own MLPer Bruce Bennett for final wood working and finishing....I will handle assembly and wiring

http://www.bennettmusiclabs.com/#!about/c2414

Went with a Callaham bridge since it has the right string spacing 2in 7/32 which is probably important with wide range PUs

Neck is enroute to me and hopefully can be rerouted to Bruce (ebay steal)

Body routed minus bridge, PU, ferrules

Still hoping some used PUs show up on the web as they aint cheap

NYC LP player

Reaction score
what the 1/2 bridge would have looked like

Color wise this is about what I am shooting for

LowThudd

Reaction score
Doh! Was not aware of that. Rediculous. lol

NYC LP player

Reaction score
FYI this whole body was $190 + shipping. Had I not gone the weird WR humbuggies and still been on the fence about a 3 hole neck it would have been completely routed and drilled.

Custom Black Walnut Over Black Walnut | eBay

Gary and I spoke through ebay and took what I said and said he would build it and send pics at which point I could decide to buy or not. Gary was extremely communicative and had this all done in a 2 day span....from inquiry to shipped.

I highly recommend him for any partial DIY project or if you want to send the body to someone else to finish out.

Info
hybridgeetars on eBay

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Everything has arrived at the builders minus the pickups do to a small SNAFU which CME is taking care of. Always great working with Alex and CME.

Opted for a lacquer finish which will mean not require waiting 2-3 months.

Bruce said the body was great on only needs a few minor tweaks which was to be expected.

Hoping to have more picks soon.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
So parts started arriving last week at my shop,

but I really didn't want to get too far started until those Lollar "Hugebuckers" arrived.:D "cuz i don't have any templates for them and no measurements..
of course, they did finally arrive Thursday this week.

So, our first issue was, the neck that was chosen, had two sets of mounting holes drilled in it, and they needed to be plugged,
so I started there.

First I selected a 15/16 drill bit, which would cover both sets of holes in one drill. and drilled the neck out cleanly to a depth of 5/8"

then I started turning some very slightly cone shaped dowels on my lathe, that would fit tight in the holes.

and as you can see they fit TIGHT! and even required a little bit of pressing with a vise to get them seated all the way to the bottom of the holes.

then, after allowing to dry, i just cleaned it up with a chisel and a sanding block and Viola!
a nice new neck mouting area.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Next up, we needed the neck holes drilled for the body.

But there was a slight issue there.
now, it's no reflection on the person that built the body, they did a great job,
but the neck was ever so slightly too wide for the body.

So out comes my neck pocket routing jig and I proceed to make the neck and pocket match up.

first I lined up the center line of the body with the jig, and then aligned the neck to the body by carefully laying out the center line of the neck against the body.

once everything was lined up to satisfaction, it's just a matter of re-routing the pocket.

and now we have a nice tight pocket hooray!

and the last thing to do was to drill the body pocket holes. with a 3/16th drill bit.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Now we can get that neck attached to the body
yeah! it's all down hill now!

Once I had marked the neck using the body holes, it's just a quick trip to the drill press.

they look like they were made for each other.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Now that our neck is firmly attached, It time to start the mock up of the rest of the body.

So I laid out the pickguard and bridge and checked my neck alignment, which was spot on thanks to the neck pocket jig.

while you can't see them on this walnut wood. I've drawn in pencil, all the holes and pickup routs using the pickguard and bridge.
these layout lines will show me where the pickups will need to be routed and where all the holes for the bridge will go.

this is kinda of interesting,, I drill my through body sting holes only halfway through the body from each side and meet in the middle. it takes some careful layout work to hit these holes dead center in the middle of the body. but its the best way I've found to have the holes look nice and straight from both sides of the body.

next up is the countersinks for the string ferrules. these are dilled 3/8 dia. and 3/8 deep.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
the first pickup rout.. just getting started here.
because I have no templates and only the pickups themselves to go by. I decided to take a on the fly approach to doing all these routs.
so I found a piece of scrap wood and made a rectangle that the pickup will fit inside and used that as a pickup routing template. and following my pickguard layout lines I placed it to match the pickguard with a littlebit of "overhang" on all sides.

once the first one was done.. making the second one was a easy. you can see I added some slightly deep er routs for the pickup height adjustment screws.

and true to Fender form I added some top routed wiring channels so the pickguard will be a pre-wired drop in fit.

and last but not least, I recessed the
Electrosocket" output jack cup as per NYC LP players request..

well aside from a little sanding to 220 grit tomorrow.. my work is done here.
Monday she heads off to paint where she will get a light brown stain, and a high gloss Clear finish.

Hope you enjoyed it! I'm out.Check Please!

NYC LP player

Reaction score
You know whats funny?

A few weeks back this was just a project in my head and originally I thought it would be something my brother and I do in his little workshop before his baby was due to show up in mid Oct.

After doing some research and talking with Gary (body) and Bruce it became evident that even if we could manage with out limited tools the number of partial weekends it would take without even considering finish would make it a really tough time line. That also ignores that my soon-to-be-fiance and my brothers wife dont want to speed their weekends watching us woodwork.

That said, seeing the amount of care Bruce is putting into this project gives me comfort knowing that I made the right decision....that and a certain someone showed up a few weeks early (totally healthy) which would have meant I would be a proud uncle with a box of parts sitting in the corner for the foreseeable future.

Latest Threads