Wall hanging

Southwest

Reaction score
Hi all. I know at first glance this might look like it's in the wrong place, but I'm keen to get luthiers' views rather than just guitarists'. When I bought my Les Paul Standard (weight 9lb 10oz - no weight relief) I planned to wall hang it for easy access. I even bought a hanger (Hercules GSP39WB) which had decent reviews.

But since I've had the guitar I'm worried about that amount of weight hanging from the bottom of the headstock. So can I ask for considered opinions from you guys who build guitars. Am I worrying about nothing? I can fix the hanger so there's zero chance of it coming off the wall - but do I risk damage to the guitar by hanging it for 23 hours a day?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Brek

Reaction score
Yup, me wonder about this also. My theory is it will help keep the neck straight, lol. One thing I did notice on the les Paul’s hung on he wall of the music shop I worked in, would sometimes get a pressure mark on the contact point, this was with a nitro safe cushion.

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood is very strong. This is also tensile strength, meaning it is stretching the wood. It's only 10 - 12 lbs. Have you ever seen someone stand on a head stock? 15 - 20x the weight it a very thin area. Be careful with the type of hanger as it could react with a nitro finish. The Hercules hangers are usually really good. I have 5 or six with guitars in them all the time, unfortunately. I guess I should play them more. IMO this is the safest place for them, unless you keep them in the case that is in a safe location with humidity control.

Cheers Peter.

ARandall

Reaction score
And adding to Peter's comments.....you have a constant pressure evenly on the two sides of the headstock with most wall hangers. Effectively the weight is distributed between the two pressure points, so you won't even damage the finish (structurally) let alone impact the wood surface/guitar chassis strength.

Southwest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances all. Yes Peter my guitar has been in its case when not being played but it's going up on the wall where I can easily access it now. I will check for any nitro damage or pressure points appearing, though the Hercules is labelled nitro safe and has good reviews so should be fine. Thanks again.

7879JMP

Reaction score
Would there be any potential issues with hanging a Les Paul (on a Hercules wall GSP38 WB hanger) that has had a prior headstock repair? The repair was done prior to me taking ownership of the guitar, so I do not know much about how it was done, but the guitar stays in tune very well.

I’ve always been concerned about it so I leave it in the case. However I find that I rarely play this guitar because it’s easier to grab a different LP off of the wall hanger.

Thanks very much for the info.
Mark

Kennoyce

Reaction score
Would there be any potential issues with hanging a Les Paul (on a Hercules wall GSP38 WB hanger) that has had a prior headstock repair? The repair was done prior to me taking ownership of the guitar, so I do not know much about how it was done, but the guitar stays in tune very well.

I’ve always been concerned about it so I leave it in the case. However I find that I rarely play this guitar because it’s easier to grab a different LP off of the wall hanger.

Thanks very much for the info.
Mark
Absolutely not, assuming that the repair was done correctly, the repair is stronger than the wood was to begin with, but even if the repair was done poorly, the fact that it can hold up to the string tension means that it is way stronger than it needs to be to hold the weight of the guitar.

LPCrafty

Reaction score
Most headstock failures occur either when flopping off a stand or chair, or when the guitar is dropped while INSIDE the case. Hanging them on the wall is likely the safest way to store them unless you're in an earthquake zone, other than inside a case that is stored flat on the floor and not leaning against a wall. Gibson absolutely refuses to adopt using scarf joints for their necks for historic reasons, which would probably prevent 99% of all headstock fractures.

Southwest

Reaction score
Since I started this thread, is it ok if I derail it momentarily?:)

Gibson absolutely refuses to adopt using scarf joints

ThIs has me totally confused. How do they create the headstock without the scarf joint? I follow the various build threads on here as I'd like to do one myself one day. They all seem to use scarf joints to create the LP style rake. I'd assumed Gibson did the same.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
when i do mine, i simply turn the squared neck blank on it's side, mark the profile of the neck including headstock angle, and draw it out, and then cut it on a bandsaw. it takes a thicker neck blank, but i generally mill my blanks to cut two from a blank, inverting the patterns to minimize waste. less wood is wasted then doing two that way.

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not see a lot of scarf joints for Gibson builds. Might be more laminated necks. One piece aren't that hard to find. You just need to purchase thicker material. Generally 12/4 (3") which is not that hard to come by in Mahogany. There is not much waste if you can use 12/4 or slightly thinner material because you can nest necks very closely together. Like this pic from one of Tom Bartlett's build threads. This is a very good use of wood.
Capture.JPG

Gibson necks are about 2 1/2" wide, so 12/4 material works quite well. It is wasteful when you go to the "guitar room" or buy a "tone wood" neck blank off the internet where they sell you one 3"x3"x30" blank and you can only get one neck out of it.

Regards Peter.

goodvibes

Reaction score
I will check for any nitro damage or pressure points appearing, though the Hercules is labelled nitro safe and has good reviews so should be fine.
I recommend that you check the Hercules mounts at least every month to make sure they are sound. I had a problem with them where the plastic parts were literally crumbling apart. In contacted Hercules and they told me that they got a bad batch from their factory. Mine were older models and they graciously sent me new stands. They have apparently fixed the problem but I would still check them periodically. You can also check to be sure the nitro is not reacting with the pads on the mounts. I use an old 100 % cotton cloth strip over the mount pads.

Latest Threads