Wait 24 hours before opening a new guitar?

Elkoki

Reaction score
Do most of you do this ? I read it's best to let the guitar sit in its box for a while before opening or it can potentially ruin your guitar . I'm getting a guitar from Pennsylvania to California tomorrow . It should be really mild weather tomorrow here . Neither hot or freezing ... What do you guys think ?

judson

Reaction score
open the box , look it over for damage, tune it up and play the hell out of it...hope if fits you well...

its is not a delicate little daisy....it will survive, it can out live you and probably will.....

think about it:hmm:

what did you buy?

Last edited:

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait. I live in wi and if it's 10 degrees out when I get a guitar I leave it for a few hours but never a day. Being in Cali you'll have nothing to worry about whatsoever

Elkoki

Reaction score
open the box , look it over for damage, tune it up and play the hell out of it...hope if fits you well...

its is not a delicate little daisy....it will survive, it can out live you and probably will.....

think about it:hmm:

what did you buy?
I bought a guitar most people on this forum wouldn't care for lol. It's a Schecter SLS elite

Sweetwater places stickers on their guitar shipments saying wait 24 hours...got me wondering if people actually do it. I know i'll be dying to open it right away.
oi.jpg

judson

Reaction score
thats cool....one of them new fangled 7 stringers?...looks good, what ever inspires you, go for it :yesway: :)

maybe an extreme temp might affect the wood/finish but i honestly question that unless you bought a guitar from the equator and had it shipped overnight to Antartica i bet it still would be fine within an hour of letting it sit maybe...that would be max, my opinion

enjoy it

Namelyguitar

Reaction score
Thems the rules.

Wait, it's your guitar, you make the rules! Post no. 7 sheet from S'water is a bit authoritative sounding.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
It's a cardboard box. It's not airtight. It won't be thremally efficient... it's basically a means of holding all the impact protection packing material.
Open it, don't open it. It doesn't make any difference.

JohnnyN

Premium Member
Reaction score
If it's "frozen" I usually wait an hour or two before opening the box in room temperature. I don't have patience to wait for several hours though :)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do most of you do this ? I read it's best to let the guitar sit in its box for a while before opening or it can potentially ruin your guitar . I'm getting a guitar from Pennsylvania to California tomorrow . It should be really mild weather tomorrow here . Neither hot or freezing ... What do you guys think ?
I do just measure the temp of the box when it arrives and I do wait for that temp to be pretty much the same as my ambient temp, before to open it. Once I open the box, I do the same with the case temp. In full summer, it could take hours.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I can understand why people put a bag of fish in their aquarium when they get home.

That Sweetwater sticker is right up there with the so called 55 point inspection program.

:facepalm:

pshupe

Reaction score
it may also be more related to acoustic guitars with much thinner wood and small glued surfaces. An electric slab guitar would naturally reach the ambient room temperature slower do to the volume of the wood and therefore be less likely to have any adverse affects of contraction or expansion due to humidity changes.

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a shit-ton of guitars over the years before I started building my own 4 years ago. Couldn't even guess the total number.
From PRS Custom 24 down to cheap Mexi-strats and many in between. Neck-throughs. Set necks. Bolt-ons.

I opened them all up the instant the box arrived. Never had anything bad happen as a result. Not once. I'd never even heard this theory of waiting a day to open it until just now.

Now that I have heard it, should I ever buy a guitar made elsewhere again in my life (highly doubt it) I will still open it instantly but I will laugh while I'm doing it :)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The absolute worst I could see is a need for a neck adjustment. It would probably need one anyways. Easy peasy.

MooCheng

Reaction score
if it was a high dollar acoustic and the weather outside was brass monkeys I'd probably wait a while for it to acclimatize otherwise no.

guitars are tougher than we think. Companies like SW stick labels on everything to cover their a$$es

judson

Reaction score
if it was a high dollar acoustic and the weather outside was brass monkeys I'd probably wait a while for it to acclimatize otherwise no.

guitars are tougher than we think. Companies like SW stick labels on everything to cover their a$$es
BINGO!!!!.....:dude: its one more thing they can try to weasel away from being responsible for a minor flaw...

customer: hello SW the binding on my new guitar is separated 1/64th of an inch from the body in a small area down by the strap button...i just got it

SW: well sir we just looked at the fedex delivery sheet and it says the guitar was delivered 12 minutes ago. oh i see the problem...DID YOU WAIT 24HRS LIKE MOMMY SAID BEFORE YOU OPENED IT??? APPARENTLY NOT...well you just voided your warranty and any other right to return it, thanks...click :hmm: