Wading into the World of Distortion Pedals!

redking

Reaction score
Also, I know you said "no" to the Metal Zone, but the new Waza Craft Metal Zone is out and Rabea gets a lot of different tones from it in this demo.

redking

Reaction score
Also I know you said you hated the RAT, but there were a bunch of different incarnations of it and Andy makes this one from the late 80's sound pretty killer. Incidentally, I have the same version and era of this RAT, so if you ever wanted to borrow it, let me know and I will send it over.

cs51762

Reaction score
MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive. Lots of cool overtones.

moreles

Reaction score
I hear you. Good luck! What works for me -- one pedal I will take to the grave -- is of all things a Keeley-modded Boss SD-1. I'm not sure if it comes off as a distorting OD or a mild distortion that is dropping into OD territory, but having played a whole lotta distortions, all of which (IMO) just take over, this one remains the thing that works for me. It is preceded by a KTR (always on, set low, not breaking up at all). If I do want to hit higher distortion levels, I use a SunFace, first in my signal chain, set low so it is adding distortion but not fuzz. Believe it or not, another super-verstaile unit that I used a lot until I broke it is the infamous Boss Metal Zone, which I modded via some Monte Allums mods. Though it is famous for being ferocious, in fact there are some beautiful tamer settings that the "dime everything" crowd don't try. Good luck! I've used a great many of the full on ODs mentioned here, and most of them, for me, just take over.

scrumm21

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a Friedman Dirty Shirley last week... have never experienced the BE-OD...but have read the DS is a slightly tamer version of the BE. I have no way to validate this. But the DS is a pretty wild beast itself - turned the internal trim pot back considerably to tame it. I am still experimenting but it is quite a hard driving pedal. Not metal crunch by any means tho. I run it into a totally clean amp. Sweet sounds

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
I think it's both. Heavy OD or light distortion. :thumb:
Right on, almost snagged on the other night. I was looking at a console unit and the guy had a fulltone fulldrive 2, I was like I have that too, he was like yah I have a OCD but don't like it at all. I asked him if I could buy it and he was no I wanna hang onto that one>?lol :wtf:

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
I picked up a Suhr Eclipse I really like. It's a dual pedal but both sides are the same with independent 3-band EQ's so you run it like a 2 channel amp. Run it through the clean channel of an amp and you have a 3 channel amp. It' can be adjusted from clean to a massive amount of gain. Very natural sounding and cleans up beautifully with your guitar's volume control even when running the gain control up pretty high.

Here's a clip of it set for classic rock medium gain setting. MIM Tele > Eclipse > early '70s Traynor YBA-1

Heavy ripping drive tone

Ross Campbell getting some nice tone from one.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
@Freddy G , are you still looking for a high-gain pedal? I don't mind shipping you the Friedman BE-OD if you wanna try it out. You can give it a proper test-run with your own gear and decide after if you like it enough.

El Pablo

Reaction score
Did you ever find a pedal? If not, my recommendation is JHS Angry Charlie. Better yet, the JHS Sweet Tea (a double pedal that includes the Angrie Charlie).