VOS Finish still the same?

MiniB

Reaction score
Hello All,

It's ben a long time since I posted, had stopped playing for a while because o health issues and other things. So forgive me if this post is redundant, but I'm wondering if the VOS finish is still that super-tacky nasty 'goop' they used to apply. The last Historic I had with a VOS wa san '08 (I think) R8, and for three years no matter what i did to clean, polish and even lightly sand the back of the neck, it always got tacky and nasty. Maybe because it just reacted to my skin chemistry or something.

Had an '11 R7 and now a '13 R8 both in gloss and never had that issue. So my question is the with all the changes and stuff going on at Gibson, different historic specs and construction etc, has their VOS 'formula' changed at all at a certain time so it has that semi faded look but with a different treatment, or is it just the same that it's always been. Asking because there are some VOS models that I'm interested in but don't want to go through the same aggravation as before or refinish. I realize that it may just be my own body chemistry that's reacting differently than with others.

Thanks, and again sorry if it's redundant, haven't been around for a while.

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
Okay so I found this thread...

But there's two schools of thought there, either it has changed or it's the same as always. Anyone know the confirmed truth on it? Thanks.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I've seen a few other RI's from 2015 to present and none had a glossy finish on either the body or the neck. Not saying they no longer do that type of finish, but you can definitely get a nice old looking VOS finish

I have a 2018 R8, very thin nitro and no glossiness anywhere. Easily the best LP I've had the good fortune to own

MiniB

Reaction score
That looks awesome, very Greeny Burst.

DharmaBum

Reaction score
I've got a '19 60th R9 in VOS Factory Burst. I don't have first hand experience with how it was done in the past, but the VOS on this guitar is not tacky or sticky. No goop. I would suspect, as others have mentioned, it's just a result of skipping the final buff. It takes the appearance of a fine haze on the nitro. I like it. I think it's tastefully done, and the hardware has a slight aged patina to it. But it's all subjective, so whatever you like. Maybe the method has changed, because the stickiness you described would be a bummer.

My arm, sleeve, hand, etc is slowly polishing the VOS where they make contact with the nitro, like in the other thread linked above. I could see how you could polish off all the VOS without too much effort to make glossy if that's what you prefer.

Latest Threads