Volume/Tone Pot Question

kenpoken

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my guitar with Seymour Duncan '59's. The guy I got the pups from told me I should upgrade to 500k pots. When I swapped out the pups, I noticed the pots with 500k, as well as 480k stamped on the back of the pots.

Would these be original, or are they upgraded from a previous owner? The jack plate is nickel plated, not plastic, and I put on Gibson Top hat knobs on the pot shafts with no problems or forcing them on. From what I have read, you can't put Gibson knobs on an Epi without issues.

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I would need to see photos. I've used a lot of CTS and Bourns pots but I've never seen a 500K pot with a slightly lesser value stamped on it. If the American made knobs slipped right on, it sounds like CTS though. Have you checked the output with a meter per chance? Epiphone stock pots these day are marked B500K on volume and A500K on tone. The difference is the "B" pots are Linear Taper. :hmm:

beanx

Banned
Reaction score
epiphones come with 500k pots from the factory they are just really shitty, i just recently replaced all of mine and was thinking the same thing as you and asked jonsey about it and he confirmed that they are indeed the stock ones just cheapies

crawlingkingsnake

Reaction score
Some pots if they have some kind of serial or part number you can actually google the #, and it should come up with the maker, and specs of the pot...sometimes works with caps aswell... i was curious about the pots in my newest guitar, so i tried it and worked for me...hope it works for you if you try it....

Rhust

Reaction score
I don't know, I would need to see photos. I've used a lot of CTS and Bourns pots but I've never seen a 500K pot with a slightly lesser value stamped on it. If the American made knobs slipped right on, it sounds like CTS though. Have you checked the output with a meter per chance? Epiphone stock pots these day are marked B500K on volume and A500K on tone. The difference is the "B" pots are Linear Taper. :hmm:

good info as always, SJM! I noticed the A and B on my 98 when I did the 50s wiring, but didn't know what they meant :applause:

Latest Threads