Volume Pot Problem with 50s wiring?

VILLANOVA

Reaction score
No matter who you purchase upgrades from, for God's sake, get rid of the cheap, half-ass, bull-shit, plastic-banana push-on, Lego-Land™ wiring nonsense from that there guitar... :Ohno:
No offense, but damn...those Epi-connectors have got to go... :cheers:

Well, I greatly agree with you and thank you for helping me solve my problem

I was speaking to a friend and he proposed a theory. Since apparently both my volumes (one of which is definitely audio taper) have seemingly become linear taper, he guessed that maybe with my wiring (or possibly when grounding) I...somehow reversed the taper of both pots.

If you think about it, they are basically following an audio taper in reverse. Also, this has only affected my volume controls. Finally, with my previous wiring, both of them functioned fine as audio taper volume pots.

Is there a way to reverse the pots through (possibly incorrect)wiring and/or grounding

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
epiphone plug and switch wires are not run the same as Gibson so my "GUESS" is that that is what is making your volumes act strange because they are bleeding back to ground. Look at this wiring diagram I am posting and then look at the "Cluster" connected to white plug thingy??

:cool::hmm:

VILLANOVA

Reaction score
Reading Comprehension FAIL for me

Will check that out :thumb:

asher67

Reaction score
I replaced the volume and tone pots in my LP with CTS 500k ohm audio tapers from RS, rewired it to late '50s config, and installed paper-in-oil caps. The volume roll-off is exactly the way that Villanova describes - fast between 7 and 10. Moreover, it is exactly like the roll-off in my '62 ES-330. which has audio taper pots all around.

I have always read that this is the the way that audio taper pots work as volume controls. The fast roll-off is nice when going the other way (turning back up) for solos. Also, audio tapers provide a bit more interplay between pickups, by turning up one or the other to change which dominates the tone.

WhippingPost

Reaction score
If you think about it, they are basically following an audio taper in reverse. Also, this has only affected my volume controls. Finally, with my previous wiring, both of them functioned fine as audio taper volume pots.

So, you just wired the pots in the exact same way the originals were wired, and then switched to the 50's tone wiring? Did you make any other modifications, or just switch the lugs the tone pots were on? I seem to remember making a few modifications to my Epiphone when I changed out cap's and switched tone circuits (due to the way Epiphones are wired). I'll dig her out tomorrow and open it up to get a look, and report back with anything I find different.

Also, I'll have to agree with (hill)Billy that the Epi' stuff's gotta go. I haven't done it to mine, but I've rewired a few friends' guitars and have achieved positive results from it. New wiring is easy to do, simpler to diagnose when a problem arises, and could fix your problem in the process. Epiphone's wiring is just... confusing. It must have been designed by an engineer somewhere.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
+1 get a switchcraft toggle switch and rewire it down to the jack and pots like a Gibson and like the others say GET RID OF ALL THAT EPI WIRING, it's thin and not very well made.

I took a cheap Epiphone 56 reissue Goldtop that hummed like a $20 whore and replaced all the caps, pots, pickups, switch and all wiring with some Lindy Fralins P90s and this thing sounds great now. It's worth the effort to do it "right"

hillbilly

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For an extra $30, you can get Around The World... :naughty:

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you wire it like this?

wiring50s.jpg

Once you get rid of the garbage Epi wiring, you might get what you wanted.

Also, I used a Gibson (probably CTS) 300K linear pot for volume and I am loving it.
I ran mine modern wiring, but the principle is the same.

Latest Threads