Volume Knobs - Toggle Switch Question

minnow

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help help / clarification here...

In the middle position of the toggle switch, sound is produced only when both volume knobs are turned up.
If either one is turned down, no sound is produced. Is this a problem?

I thought the Neck Volume/Tone controls the Neck pickup and Bridge Volume/Tone controls the Bridge pickup respectively.
Since the middle position of the toggle switch enables both pickups, shouldn't the volume knobs control each pickup individually?

Thanks in advance!

qwank

Reaction score
yeah, if you look up wiring diagrams thats the one that says two volumes, with either being the master volume. i dont like it that way though. i have both of my LPs wired up with separate master volumes. my 94 came with separate volumes stock, but my 05 didn't.

Jayce62

Reaction score
Haha I had the same question when I got my elitist. I thought there was something wrong with the wiring but then I remembered back to my science class when we learned about parallel circuits and series circuits, and I was like oh that makes sense. The Les Paul is a series circuit and if any part of the circuit doesn't let the electric current pass the signal doesn't get to the output jack. In simpler terms, when using your both pickup position your volume knobs act as gates, the gates close when your volume is at 0 on one of the pickups' knobs.

mitchbob9

Reaction score
Haha I had the same question when I got my elitist. I thought there was something wrong with the wiring but then I remembered back to my science class when we learned about parallel circuits and series circuits, and I was like oh that makes sense. The Les Paul is a series circuit and if any part of the circuit doesn't let the electric current pass the signal doesn't get to the output jack. In simpler terms, when using your both pickup position your volume knobs act as gates, the gates close when your volume is at 0 on one of the pickups' knobs.

Lol haha. I was just learning bout series and parallel circuits in my science class! It all makes sense now...

Bowhunterwt

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually current goes to the less resistance to ground shorting out the pickups (turning one to 0) creates a dead short to ground, being both pickups are in parallel then there will be no sound. (if it was in series and shorting out one pickup the other pickup will have resistance and there will be sound thur that pickup.) :hmm::dude:

Jayce62

Reaction score
Oh well, I felt like I knew what I was talking about for awhile lol :applause:
the more you know

minnow

Reaction score
Whoa guys, never expected that my silly question would be that technical in it's roots!

Thanks for the explanation and discussion. It really makes perfect sense after reading through the replies :fingersx:

Latest Threads