Volume knob idea?

Roman4405

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I sold my LP and I just picked up an SG Standard about a month or so ago. I remembered that one of the things that I never liked about my LP was the volume control for each pickup. I know I’m in the minority for that but it is what it is.

I’m thinking of rewiring it (gonna replace the circuit board thing that’s in it anyway) to have two tone controls and one volume, any suggestions for what to do with the other volume knob spot?

I’m thinking maybe a kill switch or something to flip the phases between the two pickups. I’ll be replacing the pickups also with a more classic PAF style pickup, not into super high gain pickups or coil splitting. My time with Teles and Strats soured me on high output pups.
And a pic just because I like looking at it.
AB69D39A-F866-45CF-901B-73756A10B285.jpeg

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
pickup coils series/parallel. or a blend pot for the middle position.

bass tilt? (reverend). dry control (Yamaha?).

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a Q filter for the other knob. :dunno:

Roman4405

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a dumb question. In the middle position both pickups are parallel to each other, right? What happens if you run two humbuckers in series?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
The two coils of a Humbucker are wired in series with each other.
Two Humbuckers selected in middle position are wired in parallel with each other.

Last edited:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a dumb question. In the middle position both pickups are parallel to each other, right? What happens if you run two humbuckers in series?
Similar effect to running two single coils in series.

Look up demo videos on the Fender Baja Tele... 4th switch position puts the pups in series (and the S-1 switch reverses the phase of the neck)

It's a nice effect.

Roman4405

Reaction score
I had a Tele with the 4 way switch and in position 4 I’d get like a volume and gain boost. That’d be pretty cool i think in a humbucker guitar but I’ve never heard it.

jvin248

Reaction score

Here are some of your proposed mods in operation:

One thing you can do ... before chasing down complex wiring (look up the Jimi Page LP with 21 tones) is hard wire your pickups together (just twist together and tape the wires for now) in the back to simulate any parallel/series wiring you want to try and hear how that sounds. Then you'll know.

I like parallel and coil split neck pickups with humbucker bridge. I have one Junior humbucker guitar I rotated the bridge pickup 180deg so the screw poles (which I raised) are toward the neck side and it gives a lot more meaty tone like a P90.

Have fun with the mods. Often it's best to set the original harness aside and start with new parts to operate on. That way you can always go back to factory.

diavolo

Reaction score
I have an Epi Les Paul I wired in such a way I can put the two humbuckers in series with each other.
Its POWERFUL especially since theyre hot to begin with. If you want way huge sound then you could do that.
However, I wouldnt really recommend it. I just like to have guitars that make every sound. So I do all kinds of crazy wiring.
I also have a telecaster i wired with a 5 way super switch. One of the selector options on that is the two pickups in series as well. It makes a strange humbucker since theyre two single coils spaced out.

If I were you i would use the blank place for a toggle switch for coil split, or changing one of the humbuckers to run itself in parallel. that way you can still get hum cancelling but with a single coil tone. that would probably be the most useful.

if you wanted to add something strange you could put in a diode clipping circuit if you wanted sort of a built in passive fuzz effect.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you can do ... before chasing down complex wiring (look up the Jimi Page LP with 21 tones) is hard wire your pickups together (just twist together and tape the wires for now) in the back to simulate any parallel/series wiring you want to try and hear how that sounds. Then you'll know.
This.

I've done all of the crazy mods to a number of guitars over the last 40 years.
How many of the special wiring options have I actually used?
One... The 4th position on the Baja Tele.

Latest Threads