Vivian Campbell Custom

wjlim22

Reaction score
I just got this Vivian Campbell Custom and thought I would share a bit about it. It has a very interesting combination of features. I read that it has a skinnier 70s neck before I got it but the neck isn't skinny at all. It is about the same as a normal rounded C neck Custom. It has jumbo frets which feel interesting. I have never played jumbo frets before. The frets are big and round which makes it easy to roll up and down the neck. The top is really nice. Totally different to see the wood grain and flame in silver and grey. The hardware matches it well and all the hardware is a unique satin finish. All in all, very different than your average Custom. The Dimarzio pickups sound kinda similar to the 490/498 Gibson pickups. I mean the output is almost the same but the tone is a bit different. Very interesting guitar! Anyone else have one of these?

20210614_082349.jpg
20210614_082356.jpg
20210614_082422.jpg

GT40

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. I love more "custom" customs. The multi piece neck just makes sense on a guitar known for weakness there, and makes for great stability for tuning, intonation etc.

Congrats and enjoy.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. I love more "custom" customs. The multi piece neck just makes sense on a guitar known for weakness there, and makes for great stability for tuning, intonation etc.

Congrats and enjoy.
Yes, it is a 5 piece maple and walnut neck. It may be what makes this guitar sound so good. Every time I take it out to play, it sounds perfect. I didn't know much about multi piece necks until now. Thanks for the info.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Girl sure knows what she wants - great taste and features. I very much like the 5 piece neck!
Vivian is quality player with Dio...White Snake....Thin Lizzy.....and Def Leopard

Long time Les Paul slinger.

And yes he’s a dude.

Kinda like Carroll Shelby.

SEAVO

Reaction score
I just got this Vivian Campbell Custom and thought I would share a bit about it. It has a very interesting combination of features. I read that it has a skinnier 70s neck before I got it but the neck isn't skinny at all. It is about the same as a normal rounded C neck Custom. It has jumbo frets which feel interesting. I have never played jumbo frets before. The frets are big and round which makes it easy to roll up and down the neck. The top is really nice. Totally different to see the wood grain and flame in silver and grey. The hardware matches it well and all the hardware is a unique satin finish. All in all, very different than your average Custom. The Dimarzio pickups sound kinda similar to the 490/498 Gibson pickups. I mean the output is almost the same but the tone is a bit different. Very interesting guitar! Anyone else have one of these?

View attachment 543689 View attachment 543690 View attachment 543691
Beautiful! I hope you are as pleased with your new Custom-Custom as I have been. I've been learning to play guitar for the past 43 years and I can finally say that I have found the one, the absolute best guitar to produce the tone and feel that I've been chasing.

Congratulations on your spectacular guitar!
VC top-1.jpg
VC neck-1.jpg

wjlim22

Reaction score
Beautiful! I hope you are as pleased with your new Custom-Custom as I have been. I've been learning to play guitar for the past 43 years and I can finally say that I have found the one, the absolute best guitar to produce the tone and feel that I've been chasing.

Congratulations on your spectacular guitar! View attachment 543754 View attachment 543755
Very nice! Yours has a very flamey neck. The neck on mine is more of a marbled look.

Yes the more I play it, the more I hear the throaty growl this guitar has. The pickups are much darker than the 490r/498t.

LPJNoob

Reaction score
Yea, I'm a Dio fan as well but I'm siding with VC on this one. Dio (most likely Wendy) screwed him over on Royalties and that's why he left the band.
We don't know what happened unfortunately.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a five piece neck before but it looks pretty cool. Also, that is one gorgeous and unique Les Paul. Pretty cool find. Cheers!

Latest Threads