Virus Conspiracy, Travel, Prepping, Bitching

rifflearner

Reaction score
I know we have a separate Coronavirus thread (with good discussion and updates). But I wanted to make a separate thread specifically about preparing for an outbreak in the US.

Right away, people will think this sounds like my tinfoil hat is on too tight. However, a minor outbreak of only a few dozen cases over the weekend in Northern Italy has already lead to a rapid military blockades of cities, grocery store shelves wiped clean by last minute buyers, and a decree somewhere between a recommendation and an order to stay inside over a large portion of the country. Many have been caught off guard.

I want to urge everyone reading this, especially those whose initial reaction is to be dismissive, to start getting prepared NOW. If there is an outbreak in your area, you need to be prepared to basically stay home for a month. If you stock up and do it intelligently, you will not lose any money, as everything you buy will be consumed -- you are just going to be buying a bunch of stuff in advance.

Your goal is not to necessarily stay home with the doors locked, too fearful to live your life. But at the minimum avoid having to go to the store and wait in (long) lines, or go anywhere you don't have to where there are a lot of people touching a lot of things. If you can eliminate the need to run basic necessity errands, your chances of not catching anything will go way up.

First and foremost, you should stock up on food. 30 days worth of food.

Forget getting all prepper with the dehydrated meals. Shop like you normally would. A friend of mine just texted me and said "I took your advice and went to Costco and bought a giant case of cup of noodles." Geez - if you actually had to be home for a month, is that what you would want to eat? And if there is no outbreak and the US is spared in the pandemic, are you going to eat a case of cup-o-noodles anyway?

I went to Costco and bought all the things my family would normally eat - I just bought more.

Starting with meat, I bought a bunch of steaks, jumbo packs of chicken breasts, one-pound tubes of ground beef and ground turkey, and a couple whole chickens. I tossed them all into a chest freezer I keep in my garage. And I'll tell you this: a week ago, I didn't even own a chest freezer. But for $140 at Home Depot you can get a 5-7 cubic foot freezer that costs about $30 in electricity a year. I bought mine a week ago and the guy said he noticed these were starting to sell like crazy. If you don't have one, get one now - small units are inexpensive but will sell out soon as new units are not coming in from China to re-stock. Vacuum sealing and buying meats on sale for the freezer is a great money saving tip even if you aren't preparing for the plague. Frozen veggies/fruit and frozen bread also went into the freezer.

Next, I stocked my pantry with tons of rice, tuna, pasta, flour/sugar, nuts, canned soups and bottled sauces, peanut butter and all the other things we normally eat. Again - if there is no outbreak, I will simply not have to go shopping for a few extra weeks as all this stuff will keep easily.

Finally, non-perishables. Toilet paper, daily medicines you take, fever reducers/cold medicines in case you do get ill and want to manage symptoms, trash bags, laundry detergent and the like. These will also be some of the first things to be shorted in stores and the longest to be restocked.

I think you can safely avoid trying to buy masks/safety equipment. Already, masks are basically sold out nationwide (people are resorting the buying and/or gouging on fiberglass and sawdust masks from hardware stores because they are rated N95 - but these are not built to protect against pathogens). If you want to buy a proper 3M "surgical" N95 mask online (and pay through the nose), you can. But your goal will be to mostly stay in side and not need one. What's more, most people don't know how to properly remove/dispose of a worn mask without infecting themselves in the process, so I honestly think they are mostly worthless unless you are forced to care for someone who is sick.

There are no indications whatsoever that this particular crisis requires storing of clean drinking water or an electricity generator. However, you should think about personal protection. I live in a suburb where most people are simply not going to be prepared. If this does happen, most will be caught off guard. Should panic set in, or word get out that you have a freezer full of food while your neighbors haven't eaten in a day, you may need to protect your home and/or food. Reports out of China are that people are starving in high rises because they will not be let out and if they can get out there is no food to buy. In the US, you'll be able to get out and likely after awhile stores will be restocked. But do you want to go out and wait in line during a super-contagious outbreak.

I hope I have given anyone who has taken the time to read this something to think about. I have relatives in San Francisco (likely the first US city that will see outbreaks/school closures because of all the tech travel too and from China that only ceased a week ago) and they scoffed at my urging to get prepared. I think they thought I was nuts. But if you have a choice of being prepared and have nothing happen and you just eat all the food you bought... and being caught off guard... which would you choose?

Please add your prep advice below. If you think this is ridiculous, please at least keep your comments respectful.

Lungo

Reaction score
I have chickens that make breakfast for us. We have stocked pantry, the refrigerator in the house, freezer in the garage, and another freezer in the basement. If things get desperate I'll go pick off some of the Canada Geese that hang out across the street and see how they turn out on the smoker.

rifflearner

Reaction score
I suspect we're going to see wide variance in the mortality rate when this gets out. There is no way England and Iran will be affected the same way.

What's really scary, however, is that the mortality rate in China was exactly 2.1% every single day they released results for the first 30 or so days. That really seems statistically impossible. There are rumors that the mortality rate (as well as the infection rate) are significantly higher.

If the real rate is 2%, you could see .5% in some Western countries, and then 10% in some of the lesser developed countries in SE Asia/Middle East/Africa. (the 1918 Spanish flu killed 2-3% but only .5% in the US despite us using some treatment and quarantine techniques that we now know to be counter-productive.

parts

Reaction score
We have had chest freezers for many years.. We make Ravioli..Lasagna..Tamales..Chilies..that we freeze as we make a years supply usually. I stock meats..Costco..all types..frozen dinners (my son has poor taste),,etc. I have 12cu ft in our walkin pantry..and a 6cu ft in guest house pantry..plus the side freezers of the refrigerators..

We'd be eatin good in the neighborhood..here in the desert..on 5 acres of solitude.

Not a prepper..just a Dago kid married Mexican woman and we both cook to carry on tradition..

We have large deer..jack rabbits as big as small dogs..Quail..(wife let out kids Quali and now we have a flock out there..)

So..generally we are stocked..locked and loaded..

Need more beer and spirits though..

spoony

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to shoot anything that moves.
I hear the jackalopes, Gila monsters, horn toad lizards and coyote you find out in the desert taste like chicken. If you need a little roughage there's all kinds of cacti so you'll be fine. It's them there city slickers that need to worry about the food sources.

s

Hamtone

Reaction score
I wouldnt get too terrible worried about it as far as a health concern, unless somewhere in your lineage you have the gene marker, which in this case would be Asian. Not saying it wont be an issue on the markets, and its a 2 prong attack on US. This is biowarfare not some random bat soup nonsense. Corona comes from cats and its not contagious UNLESS its been manipulated via CRISPR.

This is my understanding of it

Latest Threads