VIPots

jlee

Reaction score
Surprisingly don’t see a lot of talk here about the VIPots. Unless I missed the thread. Just installed...and managed to fry some VIPots in a MIJ Les Paul. Before frying the pots, I did manage to hear how they sound. o_O

Really nice taper and they stay nice and clear from 8-5. Down side is they don’t seem as rugged as all the custom spec’ed CTS. These are manufactured by Bournes.

Last edited:

jhullin

Reaction score
I installed them in a few guitars and like them a lot. The taper is nice and I like the sudden increase/boost at around 8.

JOESHMOE

Reaction score
OK I finally got around to putting in the VIpots.

I really like these, great tone and more clarity.

I even am getting a bit more sustain.

The turning torque is perfect for me.

Very easy to solder on the back.

Long shaft in 96 studio w 50's wiring pio caps,
Seymour Duncan Antiquities w/full strength magnets.

Jimmy

Grenville

Reaction score
I put them in my Les Paul. I really like the feel and the taper. I did need to put in a Kinman-style treble bleed as I was losing clarity when turning down, despite 50s wiring in the guitar.

I've had Bourns-made pots before, specifically the Seymour Duncan YJM High Speed pots, installed in my Strat. These have tended to go bad after a year or two of use, hopefully the VIPots will last longer.

Physically they don't really resemble the old Centralab ones, I think DiMarzio-branded CTS ones look the closest to Centralab.

I would have liked the tabs to have slightly larger holes, was a bit tricky soldering pickup leads, capacitors, treble bleed, etc. through such tiny holes.

Apart from that, they're great! I do a lot of volume swells when playing and since switching to the LP as my main guitar from a Strat previously I have been on the hunt for the right taper pot to do swells with, bearing in mind how far away the volume controls are on the LP relative to the Strat. I've liked RS Superpots and Emerson Pro pots but VIPots might be the winner.

jlee

Reaction score
Got mine installed finally. Nice taper, but not any different from my Creamtone CTS. Pretty fragile pots. Managed to twist the shaft plate off trying to tighten the nut.

fernieite

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my act together and installed my set of Vipots. I like them very much! :applause:

One pair tested at 520K and the other at 513K. I put the higher value ones as the volumes. I would definitely buy these again if ever needed. :dude:

Latest Threads