VIPots benefit more on Vol. or Tone ?

jasyr

Reaction score
These are expensive to me... I'm thinking of just putting them on the volume to save money. 16 pieces to go as far as possible in my, dunno, dozen or so humbucker axes.

Is the added brightness effect on the tone knob less noticeble? I do use the tone knob qute a bit, but not as much as the volume, by far. (It's not un-common to have the tone pot full up often.) I figure why spend what, to me, is boarderline luxury $ i can spend elsewhere. VIPot taper improvement is welcome for the volume. Imagine take-it-or-leave-it on the tone. Mybe I'm wrong?

Anyone do this? Or think about it as well?
Please tell me your VI-tonePot experiences...

jasyr

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Supposedly a lot of people pros like them, including David Grissom.

jlee

Reaction score
I don’t notice as much of a difference in the tone positions, but I don’t do a lot of fine adjustments with the tone pots. Usually on or off or mostly off. They’re a must in the volume positions for me.

ARandall

Reaction score
Echoing that the only real unique feature of these pots are the taper. So you need to place them such that you'll get the benefit of that.

MCT

Reaction score
Volumes. I play with volume and tone all the time, but I prefer these as volume..I prefer ~450-500k for tone.

TM1

Reaction score
The VIP’s are exactly the same taper & feel are the old Centralab pots Gibson used in the Fifties into early Sixties. I will buy them anyday over the rest and I think the price is very reasonable! They are identical in function to the guitars I own with Centralabs. I find them considerably more useful than the CTS pots. I use my volume & tone controls a lot, so to have them in newer guitars gives me more flexibilit!

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tried them and was less impressed with the overall construction. The taper is nice, but that's it for me. I'll stick w/ CTS.

Latest Threads