Violet Vibe: excellent vintage uni-vibe tone

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Violet Vibe from "R Weaver FX". The Gear Page forum member "EVHindenberg". I found out about this vibe pedal through TGP. Fred and I discussed tone and he offered to build me one of his custom vibe pedals. I paid $275 shipped. He is super knowledgeable and very friendly.
I compared it to the Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, JAM Pedals Retro Vibe, FOXROX Aqua Vibe, OX Vibe, and the latest Fulltone Deja Vibe Mk II.
The Violet Vibe is more 3D, musical, and VINTAGE sounding than the others. It sounds closest to Hendrix and '70's Trower tone. (From clips I think the KR Mega Vibe sounds about the same). It has a great feel and retains the dynamics my Marshall Studio Vintage puts out. The pedal inspires me to keep playing. It doesn't alter my base tone as much as the others. The OX is good at that too.
He uses all top shelf parts. Correct spec Photocells and bulb. NOS correct transistors, Xicon VX electrolytic caps, greenie Mylar caps for tone caps and carbon comp resistors. Alpha pots, true bypass and 18vdc center negative operation. People can contact Fred through Instagram (rweaverfx), email or through the forum.
Email is [email protected]

Last edited:

sonar

Reaction score
I compared it to the Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, JAM Pedals Retro Vibe, FOXROX Aqua Vibe, OX Vibe, and the latest Fulltone Deja Vibe.
The Violet Vibe is more 3D, musical, and VINTAGE sounding than the others. It sounds closest to Hendrix and '70's Trower tone. (From clips I think the KR Mega Vibe sounds about the same). It has a great feel and retains the dynamics my Marshall Studio Vintage puts out. The pedal inspires me to keep playing. It doesn't alter my base tone as much as the others. The OX is good at that too.
He uses all top shelf parts. Correct spec Photocells and bulb. NOS correct transistors, Xicon VX electrolytic caps, greenie Mylar caps for tone caps and carbon comp resistors. Alpha pots, true bypass and 18vdc center negative operation. People can contact Fred through Instagram (rweaverfx), email or through the forum.
Email is [email protected]

View attachment 397371

View attachment 397370

You've played all these pedals?

sonar

Reaction score
Well, that's commitment.

I did something similar with Wah pedals a long time ago. The ear hears what it wants to hear.

Congrats.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I've tone tested MANY wah pedals, OD pedals, vibes, etc. Its taken years to find what I prefer.
Along with Violet Vibe I use a Barber Direct Drive Compact and Dunlop Cantrell wah.
Marshall Studio Vintage amp after owning dozens of amps.

moreles

Reaction score
I've never been able to use a Uni-Vibe musically, in a band setting. I love playing through one -- and your description is appealing -- but I always end up unloading them because I can't find a good use, outside of recording, of which I do little.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Was it the "Mini DejáVibe 3 V2" that you compared it to? ...the blue wah pedal housing one?

I'm about to buy one of those. I had the previous version (cream wah pedal housing) and was mostly happy with it but wished the taper of the speed pot was a bit less abrupt and also that it just did "more" of its thing. Like a bit wetter/lusher/more prominent effect.

Can you say how this Violet Vibe compared, if it's the DejaVibe that I'm thinking of that you compared to?

SlyStrat

Reaction score
It was a Deja Vibe Mk II from Sweetwater.
It wasnt even close. The Violet does what you are looking for.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I received the Fulltone Custom MDV-3. When I said I was "about to order" it, I meant like really about to. I got a deal I knew I couldn't loose money on and didn't want to let it slide. Basically new in the box, in the desirable serial range, for a song. It's fantastic. Very warm and full and addresses both things I wasn't thrilled about with the previous version. I'm totally happy with it. But....

...I think I'm going to get a Violet, also. What if I could be totally happier!? More gear is always better, right? This demo video has me really itching to get one. There aren't many demos yet, but this one is crazy awesome! I'll have to get an expression pedal, too. That's a must for me!

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Thats just some of the tones available.
I'm using mine for 70's type Trower tone. My tone is thicker with more sustain and distortion.

Latest Threads