Vintage V100 Neck Angle

PoopSoup

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am considering building a custom guitar body from reclaimed wood and using all parts (except the body) from a cheap Vintage V100 I have access to.

I don't have guitar building experience but have a decent amount of woodworking experience and figured it would be a fun project which can always be undone if needed. The challenge of doing this with a Gibson-style guitar over a Fender style is - of course - neck angle.

Can anyone tell me if Vintage builds the neck angle into the neck itself, the base of the neck or the neck cavity in the body? Obviously, my preference here would be the neck itself but can try shimming and hoping if it's the cavity.

Any help is appreciated.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am considering building a custom guitar body from reclaimed wood and using all parts (except the body) from a cheap Vintage V100 I have access to.

I don't have guitar building experience but have a decent amount of woodworking experience and figured it would be a fun project which can always be undone if needed. The challenge of doing this with a Gibson-style guitar over a Fender style is - of course - neck angle.

Can anyone tell me if Vintage builds the neck angle into the neck itself, the base of the neck or the neck cavity in the body? Obviously, my preference here would be the neck itself but can try shimming and hoping if it's the cavity.

Any help is appreciated.

Les Pauls have the neck angle cut into the neck mortise.
The bottom of the neck pocket creates the angle

PoopSoup

Reaction score
thanks Skyjerk. Any idea if Vintage V100 (bolt on neck) follow the same logic?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
just a hobby builder here, but i'll throw this out anyway. considering what you're doing, and you haven't built before (not a slam....just an angle of approach), i wouldn't be too concerned with the neck angle from a percentage number, so much as, make it work. you need a certain clearance at bridge for proper action. considering your marriage of unlike parts, i'd try to approach it at a side sketch of your neck and body/bridge are, and then maybe you can get an idea of how to make your neck mortise. lespaul type builds have a steeper angle than flat top designs like a fender because the lp has a carved top and both use different bridge set ups. I hope this doesn't sound complicated, as i was really trying to simplify things a bit....but i'm italian and have to cram two simple sentences into a paragraph. good luck and keep us posted. start a threat and include pics. plenty of people here to help you through. enjoy

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Neck angles are determined from a number of factors.

Some of those include fret board height (thickness) and if there's any reveal underneath the FB, yet proud of the body top.

Example: Les Paul DC juniors (which differ from Les Paul carve tops, in that the angle is set on the tenon, with the mortise routed straight) have a neck angle of roughly 3.2 degrees. That's with a fret board that has a maximum height in the center of .230 (again, thickness), and no neck reveal over the top.

Contrast that with Les Paul single cut juniors, which have a neck angle of 1.5 degrees, due to the reveal of the neck being slightly proud of the body top.

Les Paul carve tops have an angle of 4.4 or so degrees, which is a factor of the carved top and the 1.5 inch plane the pickups and bridge rest on.

So you'll see that we'd need a bit more info on your project.

If this is from scratch, I highly recommend you go to Home Depot, get a mess of cheap pine, glue it up to useable thickness and experiment. I also recommend against common construction lumber like 2x4's, that's douglas fir, and very tough on tools. -ask me how I know.

Work all this out on a model, the neck angle and such. You will be very glad you did.

Post up some pics of the project in mind, and I'll be happy to help you through it.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks Skyjerk. Any idea if Vintage V100 (bolt on neck) follow the same logic?

I'm afraid I know nothing about the V100

My answer was specific to a "normal" Les Paul model with a carved top and set neck.

Latest Threads