Vintage Tokai - Your Thoughts

zdoggie

Reaction score
there is no sin in making the changes you want to make better for you you probably have as good an instrument as gibson is putting out today so keep your original parts in case of an issue on sale day and enjoy!!

zdog

luis

Reaction score
Lucky ´81 ES-100 here. I am really glad with this guitar. A real ES-335 guitar regarding appeal and sound as ponted above. I got mine converted to a king of late 70´s Gibson with Schaller parts and a pair of T-tops. It has Antiquities now.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys,
For the ES100J, I would highly recommend VIP pots Short shaft as these have the correct Centralab taper and 550k value, unlike CTS. I would recommend lower impedance pickups, say 6.8 to 7.9k, as these will give a much truer vintage tone when coupled with Emerson PIO caps and 50s wiring.
I do this mod with many high-end vintage Jap guitars and the results are brilliant.
I have spent over 40 years with Tokai replica guitars - their quality was one threat that prompted the beginning of Custom Shop guitars - and the ES100 is a seriously professional instrument.
I own a variety of Gibson, Tokai, Burny and Fender guitars and dollar for dollar, the pre-85 Japanese guitars are the equal of the American stuff.
This can be a long subject of discussion and conjecture with influences of law suits, CITES, Norlin, CBS and such all playing roles.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Change the guts As Gary Moore said its for playing not collecting would love to see some pics though!

Latest Threads