Vintage Strobe Tuner Find

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I sprung some hard earned cash for this new toy...its missing a few parts...but it works pretty damn good.

The photo is a contrast of "then and Now" tuner technology....size and weight and above all Moving parts make this a tinkerers dream...luck for this unit there is nothing to fix so I shouldn't be able to break it....

Anyway I wasn't sure where to post it...its an amp first and it has tubes so I guess this is the best forum.

Enjoy.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
IMHO, a properly functioning Conn strobe totally blows away any Peterson I've ever encountered, especially in regards to "sneaking up" on a pitch, stability, etc. Again just MHO! Enjoy your new universe of impeccable tuning!:naughty:
Gene

sonar

Reaction score

I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago.

They're Kool and the Gang, but I almost exclusively use my Turbo Tuner for intonation nowadays.

Tchap

Reaction score
In the '80's a band I was in had one that looked a little different, taller and not as wide. We called it Charlie, (Charlie the tuner). Yours looks like new. Enjoy and congrats.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
In high school the one we had was the "chromatic" one with a spinning wheel for each note. But definitely a Strobo-tuner by Conn.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Hope you didn't pay too much for that boat anchor. Sorry for being so harsh but I'll take the new technology any day.
To each his own. :hmm:

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it was $25 very well spent.....$35 if you include the admission to the show....

Toys cost Soooo much these days.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago.

They're Kool and the Gang, but I almost exclusively use my Turbo Tuner for intonation nowadays.
Its missing the Mic and the handle was replaced with a leather type, looks like a few years ago. The lunchbox metal cabinet is in good shape, but looks pretty old. (I did not photograph it)

Yours looks new....

I was just happy as hell it actually tunes! and after it warms up is pretty stable....:)

NativH

Reaction score
We used a Peterson 420 mechanical strobe tuner in the 70's and were probably one of the most in tune rock bands in Houston back then. Funny how strobe tuners are so common these days and were so uncommon back then. Conn and Peterson mechanicals were about it. Every high school band had one, but garage bands, no way.

nauc

Reaction score
fuk that. lets see your R9 and Lemon Burst! :dude::dude::naughty:

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats! great units.. Do expect it to need service though. when it comes to vintage electronics it's never an "if"... its a "when". and "when " it happens, Petersen is the place to call, as they restore old Conns.

As a pro guitar tech, Tuners are something I use several times daily.
so having great quality tuners is a must for me.

I've got a Conn ST-6
a Conn St-11 (solid state version)
a Petersen Strobo-flip.
and a Korg DT-1PRO rack unit.