Vintage Soapbar Install

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finally found a set of soapbars for my 62 SG Special.

I’m anxious about the installation - they weren’t cheap and I don’t want anything to happen when I’m fastening them in the routs.

Are there any recommended ways to install to guarantee the coil or whatever doesn’t get damaged by the screw?

Also what are you guys using for shims?

ARandall

Reaction score
The screw goes through a prefab hole in the bobbin. So if it simply drops right through to the wood below then you're in the right spot. And you'll know you have the right p90 screws, they will be loose in that hole.
Just chuck some fresh foam into the rout and you're good to go.

In short, probably exactly the same way your existing pickups are mounted.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
The screw goes through a prefab hole in the bobbin. So if it simply drops right through to the wood below then you're in the right spot. And you'll know you have the right p90 screws, they will be loose in that hole.
Just chuck some fresh foam into the rout and you're good to go.

In short, probably exactly the same way your existing pickups are mounted.
Thank you - to clarify, I know how to mount them (but thanks!) I was more wondering if there was a way of mounting them “safely” - for some reason I’m paranoid about wires being snagged by one of the screws.Is that even possible?

These were pretty pricey and one of the last “pieces” to restoring this SG so I’m a little on edge about it and wanted to consult the experts!

ARandall

Reaction score
Snagging wires shouldn't be possible, unless you're 'one of those people' who just damages things ;)

I've got a few vintage p90's fitted in my scratch builds, so I know how you feel when you have something cool you want to make sure survives intact. Of course you have the complete package of an old guitar to mount them in.

Make sure the covers are securely on, and essentially the coil wire is snugly encased in its plastic security blanket without any possibility of screw incursion.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I was worried about an old pair of '50s P90s that went into my R6 so sent it to my guitar tech who had to route out the pup cavities a little to accommodate them both.........glad that I didn't attempt it.
All the best with your install.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer a wood shim. Even a popsicle stick is sometimes the thickness you need.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably sacrilege, but I use pieces of nylon cable tie (zip tie?) cut to length as shims for solid mount P90s. One on each long edge of the rout. I can't remember what thickness my favourite ones are (probably pretty similar to a popsicle stick!), but they are just about perfect for a 50s Special or GT bridge pickup, never tried in an SG Special. I am sure maple spacers would sound better, but I am not sure better enough that I could hear the difference. ;)

Liam

Latest Threads