Vintage - Reissue blind listening test

yamariv

Reaction score
It should be very EASY as the real PAF's have "blooming notes" and no other pickups do! (Insert Sarcasm..:hmm:)

I made a post about blooming notes in PAF's and how we should be able to tell a PAF easy in a blind sound test a while back and I got alot of Cork sniffers upset..:naughty:

Zungle

Reaction score
No idea....

But I liked the sound of "A" ........

none2low

Reaction score
Definitely B, unless of course it's A...

Both sounded great. Initially thought A when I heard the first riff, but the more I listened, it seemed harder sounding. By the end of the video I concluded that B had a bit more openness behind the notes.

rogue3

Reaction score
No Question in my mind.
Guitar A is Vintage
Guitar B is Reproduction.

Good test and difficult ...needed ear buds on this one.The sustain and the weak pups are a red flag to these ears.Both guitars sound great.Different strokes.Guitar B's notes die a little quicker.As someone else said,the bloom factor> is on guitar A,in my book.

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
Definitely B, unless of course it's A...

seemed harder sounding...
I'm going to add....yes.I had the opportunity to play an original 60 many years ago.In fact,i had the chance to buy it for the princely sum of 1400$.I didn't.Never forgot it.The pickups were too weak and hard sounding,so i bailed.That is guitar A in this shootout.I was way more into the Dimarzio Super Distortion sound at that time.What did i know back then...nothing.:rolleyes:Still don't,lol.

just all in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
I don’t know which guitar is which but A sounds better

judson

Reaction score
ok has it been a week?.......

is the guy that hard up for views he is making people wait a week...

reality i had forgot all about it which i am sure many have

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm voting B. It's a little more compressed sounding? Hard to tell anyway. Great player, he really gets the most out of an LP.

korus

Reaction score
Guitar B is the 1960 original Burst. Period.

Last edited:

hoss

Reaction score
korus, I too like Guitar B better and thought it was the Burst. I listened and did not really look at the video.
Look again, unfortunately there is a tell in the clip (this is no spoiler by me, it was posted on the previous page of the thread).
My guess: it's the pickup covers that make guitar B sound mellower.

korus

Reaction score
korus, I too like Guitar B better and thought it was the Burst. I listened and did not really look at the video.
Look again, unfortunately there is a tell in the clip (this is no spoiler by me, it was posted on the previous page of the thread).
My guess: it's the pickup covers that make guitar B sound mellower.
That is all cool. There is no vested interest for sure. That is why a clip is an obvious A/B. Cause they are NOT selling either of the 2, right. Maybe just a Custom Shop one ...

It does sound differently through proper closed headphones very loud compared to mobile phone sound with or w/o cheap ones. Silly naive me, too confident, inner child and all that.

So, I can only agree with "wow, they are so close tonewise, you cannot tell them apart". More of the same, 'so close'. Right.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
That is all cool. There is no vested interest for sure. That is why a clip is an obvious A/B. Cause they are NOT selling either of the 2, right. Maybe just a Custom Shop one ...

It does sound differently through proper closed headphones very loud compared to mobile phone sound with or w/o cheap ones. Silly naive me, too confident, inner child and all that.

So, I can only agree with "wow, they are so close tonewise, you cannot tell them apart". More of the same, 'so close'. Right.

you know that is actually a very good point that they are pretty dam close to my tin ears.....says alot for the reissues :yesway:

korus

Reaction score

Latest Threads