Vintage - Reissue blind listening test

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Original 19 hundred 60 Les Paul Standard a REAL burst with double-wide pickups. :thumb:

I vote we rename humbuckers to double-wides.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, They never revealed what A and B are. What the fuck?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote A is the original. Now what about clouding my non-existant attention span? :laugh2:
I'm thinking A is the original burst as well. The noodling on the neck pickup on the first part of the clip made me think hum...hotter neck pup

hoss

Reaction score
My guess is in the video comments, search for "bernard".

mdubya

Reaction score
I think you can see in the vid that A is the real 1960.

I still prefer the warmer top end of B.

Knoby

Reaction score
Post the follow-up video when it arrives.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My guess from the first couple of tunes is that guitar A is the original, and B is the Historic. I'll be happy to be wrong, there's more to them than video reviews. I'll still want an original Sunburst Les Paul more than a reissue, even of I am wrong. There are some quite amazing sounding Historics, and some less than stellar originals.

We are all off our rockers, but I think in a good way. I sold a 1969 Hiwatt DR103 via eBay about 15 years ago, and the buyer collected (we have kept in touch,he still has it). When he first tried it, the look on his face... (rofl) "But it sounds like a hi-fi amp, and not old in the slightest, cleaner than a Twin Reverb." The old ones might not be what you expect.

Let's hope reality exposes the fallacy of my "wisdom", I'd rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned, to paraphrase Richard Feynman.

Liam

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking A is the original burst as well. The noodling on the neck pickup on the first part of the clip made me think hum...hotter neck pup
something about the bright, crunchy tone of the first passage screams burst to me. It’s a sound that reissues never quite capture. Unless that’s the reissue, in which case I’m full of shit. :laugh2:

monty john

Reaction score
both sound great....the playing is also great...not everybody has a cool mill to drop on a guitar....of course this opens up the can of worms about pickups and that dribble that comes with it

BDW60

Reaction score
I think A sounds like crunchier uncovered buckers, so I say the original is A. I also hear a few more overtones through my crappy computer speakers so it must be true!

In his hands they both sound fantastic and it’s just a matter of taste which one you prefer. Clearly, there is no $200K price difference in the tones of those two guitars. Kudos to the custom shop.

Next, he should pit the Reissue vs. a new 60s USA Standard so we can see if there is a 3K price difference we can hear ... :)

strayedstrater

Reaction score
This could be comparison of covered pickups vs open coils.

Or a comparison of pickup heights -- maybe they were set up so the covers were the same distance from the strings as the top of the open coils were (effectively making the coils of the covered farther from the strings than the open coils).

Would have been better if they had removed the reissue's covers.

Latest Threads