Vintage Pots? Centralab? Dimarzio?

Stu

Reaction score
Everyone says that those older Centralab pots are to die for. And I heard recently that some of the old Dimarzio pots were actually made by Centralab.

Is there any truth to the hype over those old pots? I've tried some CTS pots from RS and maybe it's my set, but the taper is awful. Some of the best tapered pots I've tried are in my stock Fernandes Ravelle from Japan. They look cheap and tiny, tho.

In any case, if those old pots were so awesome, where could you get them decently priced? Or what modern company makes something comparable?

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Premium CTS Pot's I use and sell are the best I've used thus far. The 500K's are spec'd at 550K with +- 10% tolerance so no pot will meter less than 500K (most are metering around 525K). The taper on these is excellent. No sudden drop off.

hillbilly

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everyone says that those older Centralab pots are to die for. And I heard recently that some of the old Dimarzio pots were actually made by Centralab.

Is there any truth to the hype over those old pots? I've tried some CTS pots from RS and maybe it's my set, but the taper is awful. Some of the best tapered pots I've tried are in my stock Fernandes Ravelle from Japan. They look cheap and tiny, tho.

In any case, if those old pots were so awesome, where could you get them decently priced? Or what modern company makes something comparable?
The CTS500K pots (for Tone controls) that RS sells are based on a set of late-50's CentraLab pots, measured from a real 'burst. Same exact curve.

CTS makes the RS SuperPot (for Volume controls) to our specifications, both the taper and the tolerance. The taper is much smoother and more gradual than the CTS500K's...

Latest Threads