Vintage patent # pickup- green enamel coil wire ???

mptachenko

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the pickups in the mid 60s when Gibson used green enamel coated wire to wind the bobbins? I popped the cover off an unopened 1960s humbucker assuming it was a T Top but it turned out to be a pre T with green coil wire. I have not been able to find any info. I saw a pair sell on reverb years ago. The seller dated them to 1965 by the pots that were in the guitar. I also saw a P-90 with green bobbin wire once.

mptachenko

Reaction score
Here is the old Reverb listing I found for a pair of humbuckers with green enamel wire.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That is really cool; I've personally never seen the wire on a humbucker until your pics. James from ReWind @cooljuk
may have more insights so you could try reaching out to him. Neat conversation piece if nothing else!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is really cool; I've personally never seen the wire on a humbucker until your pics. James @rewind may have more insights so you could try reaching out to him. Neat conversation piece if nothing else!
@cooljuk
Rewind is someone from Canada.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
@cooljuk
Rewind is someone from Canada.
I'm not from Canada but I do like The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and have been known to enjoy a Labatt on occasion.

I'm out in the Mojave Desert, right where Nevada, Arizona, and Utah all meet. About 2 hours outside of Las Vegas.

Green poly wire is the exact same thing as the red poly wire, just green. Here's a "Christmas colors" humbucker with one coil of each..

btw - never attempt what I'm doing in that last photo, unless you are completely comfortable with killing the coil.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not from Canada but I do like The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and have been known to enjoy a Labatt on occasion.
CheopisIV has originally tagged user "Rewind" intending to tag you.
"Rewind" us a user from Alberta with 28 posts and no activity in 8 years ;)

Ya... there's a few Canadian bands I like too... BTO, Rush, couple of hair bands.

mptachenko

Reaction score
I contacted Throbak and they did not have any information to lend. Most people's speciality is more for PAFs I guess. I should email Fralin he likes to talk pickups I hear.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
What are you wanting to find out about it? Poly wire pre-t-tops exist. Some poly wire was green. Gibson more commonly used red but also used green poly. It’s kinda neat but not some different design pickup or anything.

mptachenko

Reaction score
History, reason it was used, when was it used, was it used any other time by Gibson or anything anyone knows. Is it still 42 guage? Since the coating is different does it effect anything about how it sounds ect... Inquiring minds want to know

Latest Threads