VINTAGE GUITAR CASE?

Marshall50w

Reaction score

Hi,
Does anyone know the manufacturer and approximate date of manufacturer of this old guitar case I own ? On the latches it has USA Excelsior Stamford Conn and 151 on the lock latch. The case fits a Gibson SJ200 or a Hofner Committee arch top etc.

Photos are accessed by the above link.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be an unbranded Geib or Lifton from the '40s-'50s.
151 is just a part number, and Excelsior sold latch and lock hardware to case manufacturers in general from the early 1900s. They were out of business by 1994.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks efstop most helpful, any idea on its potential value ?
No, I've never been in the market for one. Geibs and Liftons usually command a high dollar, even beat up. But we don't really know what it is. Maybe you could email your pics to a dealer of old cases. The spine shape on the top is an interesting detail, perhaps before case makers got the arch in the lid perfected.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Thanks efstop, I have posted on a couple of other forums and sent to a case dealer as you suggested. I have been scanning through e bay Reverb etc and the closest I have got to what looks like a match is a mid 30's to 40's Gibson case. The guitar that I use it for on the odd times it gets moved is a Hofner Committee which I am selling. I thought to determine the value of the case before including or excluding it from the sale.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
I am advised that the case is a Geib case from the 1940's. They were making cases for Gibson for the SJ200 & L5 models back in the 1930's. If anyone has an idea on value please let me know.
FgSOQVMw.jpeg
BHKRsgow.jpeg

Latest Threads