Vintage Gibson Owners and anyone who wants to chime in: What is the distance between the TOM bridge and the bridge humbucker?

Popeye

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am curious because I noticed with a 1960 custom I was loaned, a 70s norlin and a 58 burst, that the distance between the bridge humbucker and the TOM bridge was slightly different in these 3 guitars, not by much, but there was a difference, unfortunately I didn´t measure these distances but I tried to gauge them with my finger as it has become kind of a habit for me.

I knew this could be noticeable with neck pickups, but wasn´t expecting it for the bridge pickup, is there a standard distance or perhaps a measurement that is expected with some standard deviation to it for 50s and 60s Gibson guitars?

Take care folks!

Pop.

ARandall

Reaction score
It varies. This was not an aspect that was done until the guitar was fully 'assembled' with the neck, and I think it was based on a scale length measurement rather than pickup routs which have a body based offset.

But additionally, whilst both pickup routs are precisely located on the guitar, the pickup ring itself has a small amount of play to be drilled fractionally off in both axes.
So both neck and bridge pickups are variable for exactly the same reason.

They'd done more than a few structural changes by the 70's, so that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I would have to think the changes Gibson has made in scale length are directly related.

el84ster

Reaction score
It’s an interesting question. I know McCarty era arch tops can vary quite a bit!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here are measurements that I took off of my old '59 'burst, shown in my avatar (# 9 1152). You should find what you need here, although these measurements will vary from guitar to guitar, as mentioned above. And I apologize for the crude drawing...need I say, these are not drawn to scale? :laugh2:

Frank

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here are measurements that I took off of my old '59 'burst, shown in my avatar (# 9 1152). You should find what you need here, although these measurements will vary from guitar to guitar, as mentioned above. And I apologize for the crude drawing...need I say, these are not drawn to scale? :laugh2:

Frank
Are you saying you got rid of that guitar?

jvin248

Reaction score

Grab guitar images off google and stack them up using Photoshop/Gimp/etc and you can see differences.
I did that for these three guitars to show how much the bridge-nut locations change relative to strap pins and why players can sometimes feel like they are one or two frets off location when switching between models. Ergonomics.

The gap between the bridge pickup and bridge saddles is visually different LP, Explorer, and SG just here.

Happens on Strats too ... if you reverse the bridge pickup angle like I swapped in a reverse/Hendrix style pickguard.
The Bridge pickup in my Tele is more toward the neck than the LP/SG/Explorer above. It gives it a beefier tone.

I rotated the pickup 180deg in my Epiphone Junior, lowered and raised the screw poles, as another way to get a beefier humbucker. This sounds like a P90 but is quiet at high gain. I heard from someone once that another guitar model came that way from the factory for the same reason. So if you want to try something in a current humbucker guitar then certainly try this, completely reversible reversible mod ;)

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you got rid of that guitar?
Sorry for the delayed response, Scott. Yes, I sold that guitar, along with a couple of other vintage guitars at the 2019 Fall Philly show. I've been slowly working on downsizing over the past few years.

Frank

Popeye

Reaction score
Wow, thank you all so much for the responses! I kind of forgot my thread.

Latest Threads