Vintage Gibson ES-330 TDC Help!!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I stopped by yesterday at one of the pawnshops I frequent. The manager told me he'd taken in and bought for himself a vintage Gibson.

Of course I wanted to see it. I turned out to be a 330-TDC. Now the manager told me it was a '66 and I asked if he wanted to sell it. He said yea,but he wouldn't take less than $2500 for it.

I said I had to take pics and get the serial number to do some investigating. I've searched on the internet, and the serial number keeps coming up as a 1963. I called him up today and asked if I can get the money by Monday, would he take a little less. He said the lowest he'd go would be $2300.

I have a local buyer for 3 of my guitars that should get me enough money by this weekend to score this. I just want to make sure that it's a '63.

This guy's had the guitar for weeks and supposedly looked it up, and was also told by the guy who pawned it, that it was a '66.

Are there any of you guys that are familiar with these 60's 330's to confirm it's a '63?
I'd also like to know if these could be ordered with the Bigsby or were they on installed as an aftermarket add on.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Here's some quick picks I took at the pawnshop:

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it makes much of a difference price wise if it's a 63 or 66 and I bet that Bigsby is stock. You probably need to get the date code off the pots. I would pay $2300 for it but I have cash on hand.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Not sure if it makes much of a difference price wise if it's a 63 or 66 and I bet that Bigsby is stock. You probably need to get the date code off the pots. I would pay $2300 for it but I have cash on hand.
I don't know if he'd let me take it to my guitar tech to look under the hood. I guess I can ask. Thanks for your input.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he'd let me take it to my guitar tech to look under the hood. I guess I can ask. Thanks for your input.
From what understand the serial numbers from that era did funny things, sometimes used twice. I really don't think a few years will make much difference in the value if it's all stock and in good working order.

Good info here:

http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
According to the article, your nickel hardware means that it dates earlier than a 66.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I am a sucker for P90's. It will polish/clean up and I assume there are no cracks or repairs. To be honest, I also assumed it had a center block. I suppose it would depend on what type of music and the volume you play at.

1966 Gibson ES 330 Vintage Hollowbody Electric Guitar Cherry w Bigsby OHSC | eBay
Thanks for the link. I noticed on the e-bay link,that that '66 had in orange label inside the guitar.

The guitar in the pawnshop does not have that orange label inside the the top f-hole ,but instead has and inked ES-330 TDC in its place.

Does this help date the guitar? Would the older ones just have the inked model instead of the label?

I really appreciate all your helpful info.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2 thoughts on this:

1) I think es-330's still had black plastic p-90 covers in the early 60's. 63 may have been a transitional year though
2) a 66 would have the narrower fretboard and nut width.

do a little research on that.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Vintage price guide puts 59-64 at a higher price than later, but 2300 is still a real nice price if it's later.
Single-line Klusons...pre-64, I think...
My '68 has double-lines.
Also...some of the "lesser" models like 125 and 330 came without orange sticker.
I don't recall if any had the sticker, but I've had 2 late 60s models with only the model inked on.

kcvintageguitars

Reaction score
Looks like a '63 to me. Single line tuners and looks like 1-11/16" nut width. If it's 1-9/16" then it's later. If it's all original with no breaks, that's a good price. I'll take it if you don't want it :hmm:

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the link provided 330's are full hallow body guitar's..No center block's like 335's-345's-355's
Correct. I was telling the OP that I would buy it no problem but that was when I assumed it had a center block. Not having the center block slowed me down a little bit until I saw some of the eBay posts and what people were asking for them. In my opinion, $2300 seems to be a good price no matter whether it's a '63 or '66 and my research suggests it's probably a '63. And the price of that guitar will probably only go up in the coming years.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I found this info on the Gibson vintage info.

Late-1958 to mid-1960:
Single line "Kluson Deluxe" in a single vertical line on the ribbed metal tuner cover. The exterior lubrication holes can be either small or large (though most are large hole). On the bottom side of the tuners stamped into the metal it says "D-169400 PATENT NO." Tulip plastic tuners knobs have a single ring around them. These tuners are often called "Single Line, Single Ring, Pat Number".

Mid-1960 to 1963:
Two plastic rings on the plastic "tulip" tuner knob. "Kluson Deluxe" still in a single vertical row. On the bottom side of the tuners stamped into the metal it says "D-169400 PATENT NO." The exterior lubrication holes are the small type. These tuners are often called "Single Line, Double Ring".

1964-1969:
"Kluson Deluxe" in TWO vertical lines on the ribbed metal tuner cover. On the bottom side of the tuners stamped into the metal it says "D-169400 PATENT NO." The exterior lubrication holes are the large type. On keystone tuners, the buttons become have a slight green tint to them. These tuners are often called "Double Line, Double Ring".

From this I'm guessing it leans more to a '63. I don't think anyone would have changed out later tuners to the single line. I'm sure most guitarists would have upgraded to Grovers.

Again there are no absolutes,and I'm not an expert.

27sauce

Reaction score
That's a '63 if the tuners, truss rod cover, and pick guard are original. It also looks like it has a wide nut.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
That's a '63 if the tuners, truss rod cover, and pick guard are original. It also looks like it has a wide nut.
Marc, the manager said that the guy who pawned said everything was original and nothing was ever changed. Then again, he could have said that to get more on the loan.

27sauce

Reaction score
See the narrow lapel on the TRC on that ebay 330?

I've never seen someone change a TRC to a more valuable, harder to find, earlier variant. It could happen, but...

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I sold some guitars today and I've got the cash I need to get the 330.

I already told the guy I'd be over on Monday with cash in hand.

I can't wait, as it's going to be my 1st 60's guitar I've ever owned.

I'll have a bunch of pics of the guitar up Monday evening.

The other plus in this deal is that I made my wife happy by getting several guitars out of the house.

I guess getting the 330 is going to make both of us very happy. :D