Vintage Duncan Seymours - How Old?

Lozza

Reaction score
Hi All

I was worried about the authenticity of the Seymour Duncan pickups but the opinion is that they are geniune on my post in Other Les Pauls.

It was suggested that I could find some real experts in this forum who may be able to tell me when these pickups were manufactured and would be very grateful for any information!

Many thanks
Lozza

Attachments

• sd-1.jpg
    sd-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 80
  • sd-2.jpg
    sd-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 73
  • sd-3.jpg
    sd-3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 49

frankfalbo

Reaction score
Yes those appear to be authentic, from the early 80s. We still have those old stamps, and they've been put to use on the Antiquity JB and Jazz, but they also have a date stamp. sticker.

hamerfan

Reaction score
Yes those appear to be authentic, from the early 80s. We still have those old stamps, and they've been put to use on the Antiquity JB and Jazz, but they also have a date stamp. sticker.

Hey Frank, thanks for the answer. Its a faq on Seymour Duncan Forum. We put a timeline together for dating a humbucker. Improvements are always welcome!

1. no backlogo, tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to now

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those early Duncans are fantastic, I remember buying them in little plastic bags before they went to the plastic boxes.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Wow that is a blast from the past. I bought a set like those eons ago from Starving Musician. Ahh the memories.

Lozza

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, particularly from Frank of course!

freddarl82

Reaction score
Hey Frank, thanks for the answer. Its a faq on Seymour Duncan Forum. We put a timeline together for dating a humbucker. Improvements are always welcome!

1. no backlogo, tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to now

Thanks for posting that. However, I've just come across a few on ebay that have a small backlogo with MIA, but the small tag simply says "59B" or "59N" (no winder initial). Any idea on the age of these? Were they, perhaps, manufactured for a guitar company that used them as stock pickups in their guitars?

voices

Reaction score
I have a very old double cream Duncan Custom with the same style sticker. Anyone else seen/have one of those?

Latest Threads