Vintage correct components?

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
I posted a question in a thread earlier but thought I would create a separate thread to get some advice. I've been building some vintage guitars lately and have just been buy stuff from friends when I need it. I was wondering if I could get some advice as far as buying some stuff that I could stock pile and have available when I need it.

I received an Amazon gift card from my work as a bonus for a certain level of billable time. I will be turning that total amount into components. Thank you very much. ;-)

I have my shopping cart full at Luxe Radio & Musical Instruments with
- bumblebee caps - US$69 a pair
- 19 AWG - US$0.80 per foot
- PVC wire tubing - US$1.00 per foot
- 1960s red dime ceramic disk caps - US$12 per

Can I get some recommendations for vintage correct pots, jacks, switches, and braided wire? Thanks.

I am very happy with my bridge and tailpiece supplier which is Dan at mojoaxe. It would be nice if there were a one stop shop but obviously that would be tricky. ;-)

Regards Peter.

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for pots that “look” right or sound right?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Just be really careful of where you buy parts from. Trying to find authentic NOS 30+ year old pots will be quite a crapshoot. You will find people trying to pass off newly made fakes as originals.

Last edited:

MATTM

Original MSSC Holy Grail Les Paul Wiring Harness
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The problem is, there are no visually correct clones of the old Centralabs.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Very good question. What do most people do that want to build close to the original? I would probably say sound right over look right. As long as they aren't covered in plastic on a circuit board. ;-) Where do you get your pots and which side do you go with?

Thank you for that question.

Cheers Peter.

**Edit

Last edited:

valvetoneman

Reaction score
You can't get everything in one place anyway, I've got to a point where I know what I want and like for a replica build and it involves ordering from a few places, I get quite alot from crazy parts then I use Montreux for some plastics and mojoaxe

I'll be using creamtone for some of my next one's, fender stuff is different, I've just got really nice mint guards for my strat and jazzmaster from WD music, I'll age them myself

It's a hunting game and trying not to get taken to the cleaners with this stuff

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
You have asked for opinions. I will offer mine. Take it or leave it, the choice is always yours to make.

Honest opinion: You can't build a vintage guitar. You can copy one as exactly as your skills allow but it's not vintage. As such, there's zero need for vintage correct parts to be used. It can still be a great guitar but it's not vintage if it's new.

Two Mallory 150 tone capacitors will cost you under two bucks and I'll bet anything that you'd never be able to tell the difference in tone as compared to blowing 69 bucks on a pair of bumblebee capacitors.

I see no reason why I would spend an extra 67 dollars for parts that work the same and won't even be seen, unless it'f for actual restoration of a vintage guitar or amp where, yes, originality matters.

Spend the money where it matters. I'd rather take the extra 67 dollars and apply it toward a better lacquer or upgrading to a better spray gun. Or a new set of nut files.
@cmjohnson - I asked for recommendations on purchasing vintage correct components, not opinions on using them. You should know by now, I and most others that frequent this forum are well versed in your opinions. :naughty: I do not imagine anyone has to justify having something that looks / sounds right in their guitars. This wasn't really supposed to become a "you can't build a guitar like they did in the 50's" or "you should not build a replica" thread. You seem to like to build replicas of PRS guitars but we don't give our unsolicited "opinions" on that. Hypocrisy may be the term to which I am eluding. You may want to read the threads a little more carefully and respond where appropriate. Thanks.

Last edited:

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't get everything in one place anyway, I've got to a point where I know what I want and like for a replica build and it involves ordering from a few places, I get quite alot from crazy parts then I use Montreux for some plastics and mojoaxe

I'll be using creamtone for some of my next one's, fender stuff is different, I've just got really nice mint guards for my strat and jazzmaster from WD music, I'll age them myself

It's a hunting game and trying not to get taken to the cleaners with this stuff
Yes, I'm finding that out. I just bought a pre-wired SG harness from Cream Tone. It was pricey and I could probably source all of those things myself. Actually Luxe sells the caps, wire, and PVC tubeing. I'd just need pots, jack, and switch. I believe the jacks and switches are a little easier as I do not believe they have changed much between the modern switchcraft versions, but I could be mistaken.

Do you have a recommendation for pots for late 50's early 60's Gibsons?

Regards Peter.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I really like the Vintage Inspired Pickups VIPots. They claim the taper is similar to the old Centralabs but since I don't have any experience with actual 50s Gibsons I can't tell you if that is true or not. But, they are my favorite pots now.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
So, accepting that you really are going for vintage correct components, understand that you're asking to find reliable supplies of parts that haven't been made in 30 years or more. I simply must note that you should be cautious about vendors sellling parts that are newly made fakes. For example some of the "NOS" mustard caps that can be found at such places as fleabay are recently made fakes. They're visually just about right but internally they're modern spec, not "vintage" spec. But there are sources for true, correct, NOS Piher and Iskra resistors. My source for Italian Piher resistors is actually in Italy. If I need Iskras, there's a source in Europe for them. The prices are reasonable.

But when it comes to "consumable" parts like potentiometers, which will wear out, I don't personally know of any consistently reliable sources. And that is of some concern to me as I'd very much like to use correct NOS pots to rebuild old Marshall amps if I can get them. Usually I end up using the wafer off a new CTS pot to rebuild an original that has failed.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ The problem here (and many other times) is that your opinion is tangential. It doesn't serve to solve a problem, and only adds in a snide aside to the proceedings.

Peter - You might want to see if some of our pickup makers like @cooljuk can work you out some deals on bulk caps and pots/hookup wire.
I think from recent posts that Jonseyblues is still making harnesses so will have the parts.

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Very good question. What do most people do that want to build close to the original? I would probably say sound right over look right. As long as they aren't covered in plastic on a circuit board. ;-) Where do you get your pots and which side do you go with?

Thank you for that question.

Cheers Peter.

**Edit
As somebody mentioned above the Vintage Inspired Pickups VIPots are supposedly an excellent copy of the taper of Centralabs. I have a set that are gonna go in my next build. I am excited to try them

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Yes, I'm finding that out. I just bought a pre-wired SG harness from Cream Tone. It was pricey and I could probably source all of those things myself. Actually Luxe sells the caps, wire, and PVC tubeing. I'd just need pots, jack, and switch. I believe the jacks and switches are a little easier as I do not believe they have changed much between the modern switchcraft versions, but I could be mistaken.

Do you have a recommendation for pots for late 50's early 60's Gibsons?

Regards Peter.
I would go ahead and call Lonnie at Creamtone just to make sure he actually has the parts in hand to make the wiring harness you ordered. Especially if you want it in a timely fashion. There is a thread or two around here where various members have ran into some issues getting stuff from him. I ordered a wiring harness, and some other bits, from him back in Mid May and nearly 4 weeks later had nothing to show for it. I called on the order status and he said he was waiting on shipments from suppliers to fulfill orders and that was the holdup. Maybe so. Either way I cancelled my order for the harness and asked if the remaining items were available to ship. He said yes. Refunded me the cost for the harness, and even though they were in stock and ready to ship, the rest of the parts didn't actually go in the mail for another week. I opted to just buy some CTS pots, the proper braided wire, some PIO caps and solder up my own harness, which turned out just as good. Anyway.. That was my most recent experience with Creamtone. You may have better luck, but just thought I'd put it out there that there have been some concerns among the group here lately.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, accepting that you really are going for vintage correct components, understand that you're asking to find reliable supplies of parts that haven't been made in 30 years or more. I simply must note that you should be cautious about vendors sellling parts that are newly made fakes. For example some of the "NOS" mustard caps that can be found at such places as fleabay are recently made fakes. They're visually just about right but internally they're modern spec, not "vintage" spec. But there are sources for true, correct, NOS Piher and Iskra resistors. My source for Italian Piher resistors is actually in Italy. If I need Iskras, there's a source in Europe for them. The prices are reasonable.

But when it comes to "consumable" parts like potentiometers, which will wear out, I don't personally know of any consistently reliable sources. And that is of some concern to me as I'd very much like to use correct NOS pots to rebuild old Marshall amps if I can get them. Usually I end up using the wafer off a new CTS pot to rebuild an original that has failed.

Yes, I'm opinionated. And I've done some of the things in the past, myself, that I no longer do, or advocate for. That's not hypocrisy, it's called an evolving position. I'll tell you what I know and think and feel without holding back on it much. That may put some people off, but some people appreciate my tell-it-like-I-see-it honesty.

I've gotten into a little bit of trouble for telling the truth as I see it. So be it. It's not going to keep me from seeing things as I see them. My opinion won't change, but whether or not I offer it just MIGHT.

I for one always want to hear truthful opinions even if they're not in agreement with my own. I won't silence a different point of view. That runs contrary to the very principles of candor and honesty that I try to live by every day.

It's fair to say that I'd never be picked to be a diplomat. But to me that fact is a badge of honor.
It's great that you have strong opinions but as ARandall says It is completely misplaced in this instance. As I said before read the thread and reply accordingly. You are so far off base with posting in this regard it only comes off as some sort of grand standing. It can derail a whole thread and I am pleading with you to just stop. If you deleted your first post and posted the first half of this post it would have been very informative and appreciative. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've edited my posts in this thread up to this point. I won't bother you about it again.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would go ahead and call Lonnie at Creamtone just to make sure he actually has the parts in hand to make the wiring harness you ordered. Especially if you want it in a timely fashion. There is a thread or two around here where various members have ran into some issues getting stuff from him. I ordered a wiring harness, and some other bits, from him back in Mid May and nearly 4 weeks later had nothing to show for it. I called on the order status and he said he was waiting on shipments from suppliers to fulfill orders and that was the holdup. Maybe so. Either way I cancelled my order for the harness and asked if the remaining items were available to ship. He said yes. Refunded me the cost for the harness, and even though they were in stock and ready to ship, the rest of the parts didn't actually go in the mail for another week. I opted to just buy some CTS pots, the proper braided wire, some PIO caps and solder up my own harness, which turned out just as good. Anyway.. That was my most recent experience with Creamtone. You may have better luck, but just thought I'd put it out there that there have been some concerns among the group here lately.
Yes I have had the usual treatment from Cream Tone. Helpful, gratious when you purchase then crickets until 5 or 6 weeks later when you receive a package. I had heard this before and adjusted my expectations. The tracking was helpful as it did show movement after 4 or 5 weeks, so I just held my breath and waited. Worked out fine in the end. I guess that is just the way they do business, which is fine. TBH I purchased the pre-wired 61 SG harness as a birthday gift from my wife. I also expect to use it as a guide to just do what you did. Find the correct parts and solder up myself. I guess this thread is part of that journey. I found the caps, wire, PVC tubing, and braided sleeves at Luxe and have a gift card from work to purchase 10 - 15 sets to have in stock. I hate paying for shipping for each think I buy. ;-) So now I am looking for recommendations for pots, switches, and jacks.

Thanks to all that have replied and I will take a look indepth when I get a chance. I've been bugging Tom Bartlett to add wiring harnesses to his site and other things, as I believe a one stop shop would do well. Or maybe it's just me?

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've edited my posts in this thread up to this point. I won't bother you about it again.
Thank you. It's not a big deal. I value your opinions and knowledge. We all have our eccentricities, moods, or bad days. I have had many and I'm sure there will be more to come from me. We are a big family here. That doesn't mean there aren't a few crazy cousins. :rofl: Take it easy.

Regards Peter.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I freely admit that I suffer from the strength of my opinion at times. Maybe it's a bit too strong. Maybe I offer it more often than it is requested or needed. (Seems probable....)

My father always said to be decisive, when the time comes to make a decision, to just go ahead and make it, and to not be afraid to formulate an opinion. And also to not be afraid to reform that opinion when information comes to light that causes you to reevaluate.

Well, maybe I took his advice a bit more strongly than strictly necessary.

Latest Threads