Vintage all original 61 LesPaul SG.

Tidewater

Reaction score
I am going to say 'show me'. Not because I want to corner you, but that I am interested in being wrong.

58burst

Reaction score
Apparently for a brief period when non-metal saddles were introduced, the saddles were actually bone. Then they went to nylon.

Tidewater

Reaction score
This is how I remember it. The difference is later than 66 I know of MANY with nylon.

Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars

1961: Stud wraparound tailpiece unit (as used only on the lower-end models like the SG Junior at this point) now have compensated "stair steps" cast into the unit.

1962: Tunematic bridge "with wire" (still stamped "ABR-1" on bottom). The wire goes over the six saddle screw heads to prevent the saddles from popping out during string changes.

1963/1964: Tunematic bridge uses white nylon saddles instead of nickel plated brass saddles.

1965: Tunematic bridge now chrome plated, no longer stamped "ABR-1" on bottom (replaced by casted patent number). Stop tailpiece now chrome plated too, and replaced on many models (like the ES-335) with a trapeze tailpiece.

1966: Metal saddles replace the nylon saddles on the tunematic bridge.

Jimmi

Reaction score
Never played one with the nylon saddles.....big difference with tone?

Roger G Lewis

Reaction score
Late 61 Metal.
1961 Gibson Les Paul (SG) Standard - Cherry (2xPAF´s)-Vi61GiSGSTDCH7714

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2xoefy56U[/ame]
Guitar point is in Germany.

Chicago Music Exchange ( US) Saddles Nylon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=res11DfMEpw[/ame]

The one In the OP is in Sweden, Imported here by Hagstrom but with the Original Gibson type case., Maybe the ones for Export were fitted with Metal Saddles and the ones for US distribution were Nylon. ?

Roger G Lewis

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIRsmvpNEvc[/ame]

Metal on this one through Fretted Americana 1962, one of the last Les Paul SG's.
I am still sticking with my Export theory for the original ones.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I am going to say 'show me'. Not because I want to corner you, but that I am interested in being wrong.
If I can get ahold of my uncle, I'll see if he'll bring his '61 over for a "photo session". Can't make any promises, though.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i kinda want to add to the "yeah, original '61s had nylons" thing just to watch CDaughtry shout himself hoarse, but i won't. no way in hell '61s had nylons - any of them.

i do however want to put some nylon saddles on my cheapo SG special, just to see what they do.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
My 62 les paul was made second week of 1962 (potdate codes) and has nylon saddles. I got it from gruhn's and he is 99% sure the bridge and saddles are all original.

Here's mine

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As I said in my initial comment. Very early '61s.

I've only seen a couple that had a factory installed standard tailpiece, which were most likely custom-ordered?
The earliest examples of SGLP's date to late 1960, and the sidepull trem was there from day 1. Anything is possible with Gibson so you can't rule anything out but I'm not aware of a single example that has been proven to be a factory installed original stop tail. There could be some out there, but they have yet to be proven and anything claiming to be such is going to be looked at with MUCH scrutiny.

Apparently for a brief period when non-metal saddles were introduced, the saddles were actually bone. Then they went to nylon.
I have heard this as well and I did personally look at a late 1960 with bone saddles which did appear to be very old and most likely original, but I just couldn't say with 100% certainty without at least another example to compare to.

Tidewater

Reaction score
Inky is a brown cased '60 serial number 0114XX looks just like the '61 I posted above. Same features.

Except one feature.. The neck is like almost '58 but softer profile. Not a bat.

1962?!!! Did they even make guitars that late? ;)

Hey. Remember how clean these guitars are. Nobody played them. They are not a burst.. if the bridge looks better on another guitar... GANK and history moves back 2 years. It's pretty clear that late '62 might be transition and anything else is.. GANK.

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You've got to remember, you couldn't give these things away in the old days. They were donors for PAFs, ABR-1s and fretboards.

Tidewater

Reaction score
You've got to remember, you couldn't give these things away in the old days. They were donors for PAFs, ABR-1s and fretboards.
Still can't get what the pickups are listed for on ebay for one.

Latest Threads