Vintage ABR-1 post length?

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
I know that original bursts typically have the bridges mounted lower due to a few factors, but how long are the actual physical ABR-1 posts? Typical now seems to be about 1", were they always that length or longer for more wood contact?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whoops!

I believe they are 1.5 inches long.

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
B1131621-9940-4812-94E8-6E89D078BA70.jpeg

This is my ‘57 goldtop, looks like they are bent, better to change the posts for a 1” long ones?

fernieite

Reaction score
View attachment 606921

This is my ‘57 goldtop, looks like they are bent, better to change the posts for a 1” long ones?
Your 1957 posts should already be 1". When threaded in the guitar, they have about 1/2" above the top, and 1/2" below.

You can un-screw them from the guitar to straighten them, but you need to be very careful! They could break. On a vintage guitar like that, it may be best to get a luthier to work on it.

You could also get a pair of new posts and save the originals...

Last edited:

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yep, i think i'm going to change for a repro ones (trying to find vintage ones online but not easy)

If i don't change them, they will continue to bend or this will affect in some way the guitar? intonation?

bross63

Reaction score
yep, i think i'm going to change for a repro ones (trying to find vintage ones online but not easy)

If i don't change them, they will continue to bend or this will affect in some way the guitar? intonation?
If you choose to replace your originals, get these from Philadelphia Luthier Tools rather than from Gibson. These are nickel plated brass like the originals in your guitar. The ones Gibson sells and puts in all their reissue guitars are steel, and there is a discernible difference in the sound with the steel posts vs brass. Steel is more brittle and favors higher frequencies. Brass is more consistent across tonal frequencies and has a far more pleasing sound (to my ears). https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/abr-1-bridge-thumbwheel-posts-brass/

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Go to a hardware store and buy a couple 6/32 screws, 2" long. (brass or SS) Bore and tap out your holes and screw the longer ones in. I usually make them 1-3/4", put a point on the ends and sink the tip about 1/8" deeper into the mahogany. Add a second thumb wheel and you've got added sustain and it takes care of the leaning ABR1 bridge.
20.JPG

5.JPG

bross63

Reaction score
Add a second thumb wheel and you've got added sustain and it takes care of the leaning ABR1 bridge.
Great reply and info. That’s an alternative I have considered also to get deeper mounting of the abr posts. What do you believe is the reason a second thumbwheel increases sustain? I see in your photo that your two thumbwheels are stacked together and also appear to either be touching the top or are close to it. On my LP the thumbwheels are not close to the body like that and wouldn’t be even with two stacked. In that case would you still stack them together at whatever height is needed for the proper/desired action setup? If this does in fact increase sustain it’s a quick, easy, and inexpensive alteration that doesn’t harm the guitar and is easily reversed. I’m guessing maybe the second thumbwheel helps to stabilize the first so there is less “slop” of the thumbwheel on the post and maybe in turn provides better contact between the bridge/thumbwheel/post connection?

Latest Threads