Vintage 79 Washburn Falcon

lhrocker

Reaction score
I've been on a "buying guitars that I always thought were cool when I was a kid" phase. Let me introduce you to my 1979 Washburn Falcon. It is a short scaled double cut Les Paul style guitar. It's a neck thru guitar with a maple/walnut laminate neck. What looks like ash body wings with a trans brown finish. Ebony fingerboard with pearl dots. The guitar is all stock with the exception of Ibanez knobs. The back control plate is made of wood. The guitar plays real nice and the quality is up there with any "lawsuit era" guitar. It is a bit heavy - around 9.5 pounds, but we play Les Pauls, right? Well, without further adieu....

RaSTuS26

Reaction score
Sweet, looks in very good shape, congrats and HNGD.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
very nice guitar, and I love the rich wood tones on a DC .
you mentioned that it is short scale (I looked it up and saw 630mm).

is a LP also considered short scale ???

lhrocker

Reaction score
very nice guitar, and I love the rich wood tones on a DC .
you mentioned that it is short scale (I looked it up and saw 630mm).

is a LP also considered short scale ???
Yup - and Les Paul's are short scale.

xbolt

Reaction score
Always liked those !

Matsu beaut...

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Very nice. Probably the best color they came in, and its in very good condition for its age! The Washburn / Daions from this time period are such excellent build quality, and still way under rated in my opinion.
I can't believe some prolific artist hasn't started using some model and driven prices up yet.

You just reminded me there was also a 335-style version with the same string-through brass bridge. Just utterly monstrous. I feel the GAS coming on again...

jay1williams

Reaction score
Sweet Axe!!!

Those old Washburns are some of the best fiddles made, dare I say EVER

jasonic

Reaction score
Sweet axe! I've been gassing for a wing series for ever. Just bought a Lotus VX-45R in white, which is the Morris made git of similar design. Very sweet and amazing japanese fiddles for sure ;) Hows the neck on yours? The lotus is somewhere between 50's/60's with a rounder FB radius..wondering if their similar in this regard as well.

-j

fwgroove

Reaction score
I think you have a 1977 year model. The jack on the guitar face is one giveaway. I believe they moved that to the side after 1977. Also, if the serial number starts with 79, it's likely a 77. I also have a 77 Falcon and came across that info in my research.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have a 1977 year model. The jack on the guitar face is one giveaway. I believe they moved that to the side after 1977. Also, if the serial number starts with 79, it's likely a 77. I also have a 77 Falcon and came across that info in my research.
lhrocker can't hear you. He left 3 1/2 years ago ;)

endial

Reaction score
Eight year old post.

Great.

Now I want one of these.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
good guitars, brought one back from japan in 1980..might be the one..

Latest Threads