Vintage 1979 Dean Z Standard guitar. Hot Hero Sandwich? Remember?

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This was a post of mine on Instagram:

1979 Dean Z Standard guitar.

It was 1978 and Disco was king....then a few things started to happened....Van Halen erupted onto the scene. AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Rush, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy and some others were setting the stage for what was to come....the 1980s.

Although this guitar could have been sported by someone wearing platform shoes or spikes, the latter won out and Dean raged into the 80's along with a few other small builders like Hamer and BC Rich. Dean got a curious and highly visible endorsement in an unlikely way when a new teen television show named "Hot Hero Sandwich" made its debut on November 10th 1979.

Mark Cunningham, the guitarist in the "house band" played a Dean like this, and everybody took notice. It was OUTRAGEOUS in every way....and you sure weren't going to find one in a music store in Columbia, South Carolina. This was the thing dreams were made of for an aspiring young guitarist......like me.

This exceptionally beautiful 1979 Dean Z Standard is still a terrific guitar....by anybody's standard! ;)

LSAR

Reaction score
Beauty, and that bridge looks like a piece of art by itself.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There was a guitar shop near me in the 80s, a coverted little country house called "Vintage Guitars" ....and they had one of these. I sure loved it then and I still love it!

Left Paw

Reaction score
One of the best looks when standing and playing live.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome but I like em with neck binding. Love them old Dean's and BC Rich's.

DADDEO

Reaction score
My eldest had a Korean Z79 that was awesome to play, comfy as sin, then he put emg's in it, lost interest and sold it. Cracking guitar.

DLMguitars

Reaction score
Everytime I see a Dean Z, I think about that TV show. That band was great and they had this vibe and energy that was captivating to a young teenage budding guitarist. I lost track of that for years and just Google searched the show and found it again. Loved that Hot Hero theme song! They were one of the very first hair bands back before the "hair band" thing was in! Love that stuff man... And love those Dean Z's!!

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
I love the Dean and Hamer Standards. My only complaint on the Dean's (this model only, I must stress) is the headstock. Ever since seeing the Dean Mini headstock on a Standard(think the fuzzy guitars of ZZ Top) the big Dean headstock looks out of scale to me. The big headstock looks right on every Dime and Cadillac ever made.

Torren61

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is crapping in your thread, but I HATE Dean headstocks. I don't like anything about them. It ruins the aesthetics for me. They could be the best guitars on earth with no one coming in at a close second and I'd pass because of the headstock. To me, it just looks so wrong and out of place. Everything else about that guitar looks cool as hell.

Sustainium

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is crapping in your thread, but I HATE Dean headstocks. I don't like anything about them. It ruins the aesthetics for me. They could be the best guitars on earth with no one coming in at a close second and I'd pass because of the headstock. To me, it just looks so wrong and out of place. Everything else about that guitar looks cool as hell.
Lol

bard2dbone

Reaction score
I played with a guy back in the 80s who had a few Deans. Most were the big-headstock versions like this one. He had a couple V 's, a couple Cadillacs, a Z like this one, and a Z Baby with a different headstock more like a 70s Gibson Flying V head stock with a v cut into the end.

The Z Baby wasn't as pretty as the Z Standard. But it also didn't have the tuning issues that most of his big-headstock Deans had.

He eventually sold off the V 's, the Standard Z, and one of the Cadillacs. But it's nearly forty years later and he still has the Z Baby and a Cadillac. It's funny looking at people's reactions when a 60 year old guy pulls one of those out at a jam session.

He was always a bit of a trend bucker. When most guitar players had a Strat or Les Paul as their main axe, he had that Cadillac. And his number two was usually a Godin.

Latest Threads