Vintage 1972 Marshall NAD

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Gridlock

WOW! :wow: What is the official model of the aforementioned "NA?" And more importantly, how hard does it RAWK?

Just Askin'?
Gene

Gridlock

Reaction score
@Gridlock

WOW! :wow: What is the official model of the aforementioned "NA?" And more importantly, how hard does it RAWK?

Just Askin'?
Gene
Model 2040 (Artiste), it is a great sounding amp with really nice reverb (Hammond). 50 watts and EL34 powered.

I’m guessing that I’ll need an OD pedal with this amp for drive. Weighs a ton, but it will be my at-home music room amp.

I love old hand-wired Marshall combos. Can’t wait to spend some time with it and my Les Paul.

Case24

Reaction score
Congratulations! That’ll be a nice addition to your amp collection. :cool:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Well Sir @Gridlock ,
From a look at the schematic, I must say that this amp strikes me as one of the cooler of the coolest Marshall amps ever! I'll be interested to learn how well the reverb works, as well as how happily the amp responds to channel jumpering!
Enjoy (You Lucky Dog, You) :naughty:
Gene

Gridlock

Reaction score
Well Sir @Gridlock ,
From a look at the schematic, I must say that this amp strikes me as one of the cooler of the coolest Marshall amps ever! I'll be interested to learn how well the reverb works, as well as how happily the amp responds to channel jumpering!
Enjoy (You Lucky Dog, You) :naughty:
Gene
Funny the Hammond Reverb in this thing sounds as good as any vintage Fender amp that I’ve owned, and I’ve owned quite a few good ones. Reverb is deep, wet, and full.

Lots of experimentation ahead. I’ve read that this amp sometimes gets a bad rap, but both channels sounded great to my ears. Nice warm tones. I did not try to get the amp to overdrive in the store. I was just so impressed with the tone, I was ready to buy once I heard it.

Maybe it’s the PTP wiring, big Transformers, and old Greenbacks that makes it so warm sounding. The amp is totally quiet at idle. Impressed so far.

I’m sure that it will take my OD pedals well if it stays too clean on its own. Recently, I have use pedals for OD with most of my amps anyway.

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Gridlock
I'm guessing that the need for OD stomp/foot/pedal/thingies is at least partially fueled by use of single coil pup guitars from the "BIG F?" That's OK, There's both a Strat and a Tele in the Holy Trinity, along with that Almighty Les Paul and we gotta do what we gotta do.

Now, while Marshall has never been well known for great sounding spring reverb styled amps, I've heard hushed rumors that there wer a few models (of previously unknow to me nomenclature) that were absolutely stellar and this may just be one of them! Especially interested in the jumpering functionality. Either way, I'm betting this amp will blow a Super Reverb out of the water, in terms of tone and if the jumpering works well, it may even slay a Vibrolux Reverb or a Vibroverb!

I am however, noticing that according to the schematic, there is no cathode follower stage, so it may develop a bit less gain than might be expected from a 50 watt Marshall. There may however be a little bit of gain developed in the reverb circuit, depending........?

Again, Happy NAD!
Gene

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Oh and @Gridlock , did I mention to you that you and this whole thread have given me terrible G.A.S. And I must now search out one of these to treat the symptoms (never a cure) of said G.A.S.!

IOTMA & IOTMG!
Gene

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Gridlock

So, my G.A.S. inducing friend, :rolleyes: how well does the jumpering work? Also, does the amp have enough gain/grunt of it's own to get any overdrive/grind/distortion on it'sown, without a stomp thingie? It also appears from the schematic that both channels can drive the reverb. Can you confirm or deny the truth of that?

And yessir! It DID clean up quite well! :cool:

Enjoy,
Gene

Gridlock

Reaction score
@Gridlock

So, my G.A.S. inducing friend, :rolleyes: how well does the jumpering work? Also, does the amp have enough gain/grunt of it's own to get any overdrive/grind/distortion on it'sown, without a stomp thingie? It also appears from the schematic that both channels can drive the reverb. Can you confirm or deny the truth of that?

Enjoy,
Gene
Haven’t had a chance to get it up to volume today to overdrive but I’m guessing it will overdrive with Humbuckers while jumped. Hopefully I test this tomorrow. As far as I can tell the Reverb only works on that channel or when jumped.

scozz

Reaction score
Man that thing is tooooo sweet for words @Gridlock!!

A whole lot more pics of that beautiful beast on this forum buddy,....that is match made in heaven,... LP and that Marshall.

I think @The Ballzz, (Gene) just made a mess in his pants! :laugh2: Wait,......I may have too! :eek2:

Gridlock

Reaction score
@Gridlock

Enjoy,
Gene
With the amp jumped and both channels set to about 6-7 and my Les Paul with 57’s, I’m just starting to get some overdrive. Not a super loud amp. My 1962HW would tear the roof off the house with the volume set to 6-7.

I’m thinking that I’ll be using pedals for overdrive for sometime now. With pedals, I can definitely get that Marshall overdrive tone.