Vintage 1959 on the way!

1959burst

Reaction score
72 strat $50k? if it ain't owned by hendrix it's bullshit...............just my opinion

GearHo

Reaction score
I'm with Greg on this one 50k for a 72 strat, 50k for any strat for that matter.

I hate to burst your bubble, but in this market 3500 is top dollar for a jr. with a repaired headstock. I hope it works for you, obviously you are excited, and thats very cool. But jr.'s have taken an enormous hit in the price dept.

A couple years ago, you could get 10k and up for a nice sunburst jr., tv yellows upwards of 15k, but those numbers have fallen dramatically.

On a more positive note, 50's jr's are some of the coolest of all the Gibsons from that era, and still affordable. I have a 57 singlecut sunburst jr., and there is definetely a vibe from them that is unmistakable.

But really, I am not buying the 50k for a 70's strat, if that is true, the buyer is either an idiot, or a really big idiot. Hendrix was long dead by then, and even so, 50k buys you quite a few jr.s:shock:

LHakim

Reaction score
While Bursts and Customs certainly have their "charms", a good 1950's LP Jr. is the holy grail of vintage Les Paul tone for some of us. $3,500 for one w/ a headstock repair is a fair deal even in this economy. Look at what your getting: the very best sounding Honduras mahogony and Brazilian rosewood that has long been unobtainable, hide glue construction, no trussroad condom to dampen neck resonance, and those wonderful 1950's P90's that cannot be replicated today.

The price slide Jr's have seen recently is simply a necessary market correction after they shot up up in value too far too fast a few years ago. But look at it this way: you could easily spend that much on a new guitar that a.) will never go up in value, (the Jr. market should eventually go up again) and b.) doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

But its best not to worry about what the market will do or focus on whether its a good investment--just enjoy the heck out of your guitar and you'll easily get more than your money's worth out of it.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
While Bursts and Customs certainly have their "charms", a good 1950's LP Jr. is the holy grail of vintage Les Paul tone for some of us. $3,500 for one w/ a headstock repair is a fair deal even in this economy. Look at what your getting: the very best sounding Honduras mahogony and Brazilian rosewood that has long been unobtainable, hide glue construction, no trussroad condom to dampen neck resonance, and those wonderful 1950's P90's that cannot be replicated today.

The price slide Jr's have seen recently is simply a necessary market correction after they shot up up in value too far too fast a few years ago. But look at it this way: you could easily spend that much on a new guitar that a.) will never go up in value, (the Jr. market should eventually go up again) and b.) doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

But its best not to worry about what the market will do or focus on whether its a good investment--just enjoy the heck out of your guitar and you'll easily get more than your money's worth out of it.
Absolutely spot on! I could not have said it better. Jrs and Specials are so frikkin under-valued now. THINK about what these are and what they are selling for, less than a ReIssue R9, it's a no brainer... and don't you think when the market corrections are over and prices start climbing again, don't ya think these vintage babies will head back up where they were or at least close to the premiums of a year or two ago?

bad261

Reaction score
BCR Greg says they're better after a headstock repair, which is a notorious achilles heel.
ROCK ON!!

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
BCR Greg says they're better after a headstock repair, which is a notorious achilles heel.
ROCK ON!!
Mine had three repairs, so according to that line of thought, Mine's' "Three Times Dope" as the gangstas said in the nineties:D

Note the butter knife repair!:shock::shock::D

All betta now:

Hemply

Reaction score
Sorry guys I made a mistake!

It's not a 1972 Strat he got $50k for!

HE has a 1972 Start of his own he was telling me about, he got the $50k for a 1956 Strat!

Wanted to clarify that little mistake I made yesterday, I guess it was all about the excitment of the 1959 LP Jr d/c?

Which BTW should be here Monday or Tuesday... the suspense is KILLING ME!:laugh2:

Hemply

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the "Vintage Price" and whether it will go back up or not. Totally not the reason I'm getting this axe.

I've been wanting one for a while and after seeing Greg's collection REALLY started wanting one!

The last time I looked around 'online' for Vintage Jr's I saw all kind of crazy prices and figured my best shot would be to swallow my pride and get one of the new Custom Shop RI's if I really wanted one. I'm not down with the Single Cut Jr's, if I were I could get a new one from Gibson USA for $1700.00. No it has to be a double cut for me or nothing at all.

Without even seeing this thing yet I know they were listing it at $5500 but because of 'my boy' it will be mine for $3500. That price I can justify in my head spending the money but only because it is an original 1959 LP Jr.:naughty:

Ooooo I'm getting all light headed!

and I haven't even sparked yet!:laugh2:

River

Reaction score
Damn, Humply, your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm almost as excited as you are, because that would be my ultimate acquisition as well. If "your boy" comes up with another one some day, please oh please keep me in mind!

Hemply

Reaction score
Damn, Humply, your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm almost as excited as you are, because that would be my ultimate acquisition as well. If "your boy" comes up with another one some day, please oh please keep me in mind!
Will do River!

I have my eye open for another MESA Mark III for Belzee already!:laugh2:

My Boy definitely has some very good connections... like the old guy in central Jersey Harry ? who takes care of all the Marshalls Angus Young uses... and many more.:naughty:

A valuable friend to have indeed.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While Bursts and Customs certainly have their "charms", a good 1950's LP Jr. is the holy grail of vintage Les Paul tone for some of us.
+1. They do seem to sound pretty good.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Hemp's, your excitement is contageous! I can't wait to see the bleedin' thing now!

I have to say, a double cut is something I don't own and, as other people have said, now would be a good time to find one!:thumb:

Hemply

Reaction score
Hemp's, your excitement is contageous! I can't wait to see the bleedin' thing now!

I have to say, a double cut is something I don't own and, as other people have said, now would be a good time to find one!:thumb:
I would tend to agree with you Cookie!

Even though I really don't watch the "Vintage Market" from a collectible stand point, just wanting one of these gems you have no choice but to run into the ridiculously high prices... until the recent drop in the market.

The first time I heard a Gibson Les Paul Custom live in action I fell in love with everything about it, that was a very long time ago. The LP Jr is the same way though the first time I saw one I wasn't very impressed, the first time I heard one 'played the right way' I fell in love again!:laugh2:

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
"Beauty is in the eye of the holder........................":thumb:

Latest Threads